Samsung reveals the W789 Android flip-phone, keeps the past alive

By on August 14, 2013, 11:30 AM

With bar-type, touchscreen smartphones becoming more popular each and every day, seeing a flip-phone on the streets is now a rare occurrence. Samsung doesn't want to let the form factor die, however, and is releasing a brand new Android-powered flip-phone called the Hennessy.

As revealed on Samsung's Chinese website, the Hennessy (W789) features two 3.3-inch 320 x 480 LCD touchscreens, one on each side of the phone's top panel. Other specifications include a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 1500 mAh battery, five megapixel camera, a microSD card slot, two SIM slots (for CDMA and GSM radios), and Android 4.1 out of the box.

As one would expect, the phone is both thick and heavy by today's standards due to the old-style form factor, coming in at 18.6mm thick and 208 grams. Samsung has yet to specify when the device will be released, and for how much, although it's unlikely that this phone will be seen outside of Asia.

The device could be a curtain raiser for the Galaxy Folder, another Android flip-phone that Samsung is working on. It reportedly features a larger 3.7-inch AMOLED display and a dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor, as well as LTE support. Again, the Folder likely won't be released in Western markets due to people's preference for slate-style smartphones like the Galaxy S4, but it'll still make an interesting addition to Samsung's line-up.

Throw a $100 price tag on there and we'll be seeing flip phones everywhere.

I gave my old Motorola flip phone to my brother and he won't give it back. Now I'm stuck with my Samsung C3050 slider, which is better than any dumb-ass smart phone but not nearly as good as a flip. I tried an LG LP and Nokia 521 and sent them back. This new Samsung offering sounds great, but if it's Android you know it has to be just another bloatphone.

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

I'd say that 1.2 quad core CPU for a 320x480 is an overkill. It's probably gonna be expensive since it has 2 displays and because of the higher end CPU. Bringing back flip phones is kinda nice.

RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

Well, considering it's not going to be released in the Western Market. Maybe not even right away. It is likely it will only be China with these phones.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

Must be a move to target teens

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah. The concept is cool but the specs and probably the price will be overkill.

henryjhealy henryjhealy said:

They put a quad-core in this and a dual-core in the S4 mini. Samsung logic.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Must be a move to target teens

I can't think of any teenagers I've seen with a flip phone, I'd say it more targeted towards the older non tech savy crowd.

This kind of phone targeting for asia only, especially japan and south korea.. some of them still prefer flip phone style

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

You can't cause right now there aren't any. Even if you wanted to buy a flip phone, it would be hard to find since it is really old so nobody sells it. But a couple of years ago, they were quite popular.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Clamshell phones. I haven't seen one for a while now. I wouldn't mind seeing them back in fashion.