Six Things Apple Got Right in iOS 7 and Six Still Missing

By on October 3, 2013, 10:20 PM

Despite how much people claim to like change, at the core we are creatures of habit. Just as we saw when Facebook introduced Timeline and as we will see when Twitter makes its next significant change, people are going to get up in arms about it. Apple’s iOS 7 was no different.

Described as the biggest change to iOS since the introduction of the iPhone, iOS 7 has been available to the general public for roughly two weeks at this point. That’s given everyone plenty of time to get accustomed to all of the changes and vent about them, but for us, it’s served as an evaluation period.

Looking beyond the flat UI and the animated background, has that much really changed in Apple’s mobile OS? Here are my top six things still missing in iOS 7 as well as the six that Apple nailed with the update.

Read the complete article.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You missed MPTCP in the good section. An area in which its competition doesn't have any answer ATM (except for rooted users on android).

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

having people turn their home screen into a gaudy MySpace profile.

Myspace, aha, haha, ahahahahah :'

1 person liked this | yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I want my next calendar appointment permanently on my lock screen like my old windows phone

6 people like this | Arris Arris said:

Seems most of the "Good" is taken from Android.

3 people like this | Divvet said:

Seems most of the "Good" is taken from Android.

I count all of the good coming from Android!

4 people like this | tomkaten tomkaten said:

I consider iOS 7 a major downgrade TBH. 6 looked a lot smoother (you actually felt like you were using an Apple product) and was much more fluent on my iPhone 4. The only thing I like in this one is the quick access to the Control Center, but that's about it. Even the icons are worse.

Their phones, IMO, are miles behind top of the range Android phones in options, smoothness, feel, features, screen, camera, battery, signal quality... Is their anything left ? :P Oh yeah, price... You know they're ripping you off when their low-cost phone is more expensive than SG S4, for instance.

1 person liked this | slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kinda funny how all the things they got right were already available on Cydia and all the missing features are already on Android.

Re Bad point 4...the ".com" option hasnt been removed. Where appropriate if you press and hold the "." key then .com along with numerous other options are shown.

3 people like this | BabyFaceLee BabyFaceLee said:

Re: Bad 2 (Different default apps)

Why is Apple allowed to continue to do what Microsoft were vilified for (and heavily fined for) regarding Browser choice?

2 people like this | BabyFaceLee BabyFaceLee said:

In general I was rather disappointed with iOS7 as it was billed as being a major overhaul...really?. The phrase 'Style over substance' comes to mind.

The three-dimensionality of the home screens for example...who gives a stuff? Let me customise my home screen and choose my default apps and place icons where I want them (with gaps between icons *gasp!*) instead of poncing about with this sort of frippery.

If only Apple would get over itself and put the user front and centre for a change. Instead, Apple continues with its self-important and arrogant "Apple knows best" philosophy which I find irritating and rather insulting.

3 people like this | j05hh j05hh said:

"It's convenient that it the timestamps aren't always there to serve as a distraction but can be accessed on-the-fly."

I laughed at this..distraction really? I for one like knowing when I receive a message. The distraction is doing a swipe to see the time stamp. As other comments have said, it looks like all the good came from Android.

I somewhat disagree with #3 in things missed in iOS7. I think it's more common for people to selectively delete items in their mailbox than to delete the all. It's more common for people to mark all as read (which is available). I hear where you're coming from though and if you do find yourself deleting a lot of email (instead of marking it read or archiving it - as Gmail selfishly has taught us to do) - it's a feature that can be sorely missed. I personally have never found this to be a large lacking feature. I can mark all as read, and selectively delete the emails I truly don't want and that's really it. I'm assuming that's the majority of email users right there.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Funny... WIRED did a piece on what's missing from iOS 7 and it hasn't been mentioned yet.

[link]

It's a good read, but if you don't have time... the author wishes iOS was better at predicting what we'd like to know and presenting it to us before we ask. Basically like Google Now.

1 person liked this | backo said:

1 click close all apps.

As someone who used the iOS 7 betas and had to deal with the .com button in Safari in the first couple betas...trust me, you didn't want it there. The space button got microscopic.

Nobina Nobina said:

This whole iOS 7 interface looks like a combination of Windows 8 and Android. It has the flattnes of Windows 8 and new features of Android.

avoidz avoidz said:

Re: Bad 2 (Different default apps)

^ THIS!!

You can mark all email messages as read... click edit on the top right, Mark All on the bottom left...then Mark as Read... TADA

gg

JC713 JC713 said:

I think we should be able to delete stock apps. Also, the new keyboard layout on safari is annoying since I always hit the period key when I want a space since the period button is way to close to the space key. Those are really my only gripes. I dont really think a landscape mode on such a narrow device makes sense. Maybe if we get bigger screens it will make sense. Also, 3rd party keyboards wouldnt really make sense because the Apple keyboard isnt that bad. The only real 3rd party keyboard I want is Swype. That is it.

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

You can only think Apple's keyboard is OK if you haven't used anything else. Even my old HTC Win Mob 6.5's keyboard was better. Have you ever used Adaptxt on Android? What is the worst of Apple's kb? 1. Always shows capital letters even in lower case mode. 2. Do not show extended characters on keyboard which is an issue if you're not English. 3. Do not have the option to hold in a key to get a number, you have to go into a sub menu - really bad. 4. Only use Apple's kb, nobody else is allowed.

Apple will always stick to their model of having control over everything. They only know one standard, their own. This has its advantages, I sure agree. Having a more open system brings many dangers to end users. I believe in choice. Let the customer choose. You can still have a "seal of approval" if you want to and still rip people off. At least let people have a say if they want to be ripped off.

One more problem with Apple. They made a huge bundle of money with iPhone etc. Yet the amount of phones they bring out is a hand full. If I look at Nokia, they are struggling financially, yet they brought out a a huge range of phones with excellent build quality (and I am an Android user). Apple cannot even bring out a phone with a nice big screen. If you believe you are the champion of phones, at least act as one. Not impressed.

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

It still lacks this feature. If it does not bother you, it does bother other people. Life is about choices. One less choice available here. How is this OK?

alexofindy said:

Two comments:

The major downside of ios 7, I think, is that Apple has made it impossible to revert to ios 6 if something about ios 7 doesn't work for a given user. How can I know if ios 7 right for me, my phone (a 4s), and my apps without trying it? This alone is reason enough not to upgrade, at least for a few months

Also, while I agree with your comment about landscape mode and its frequent absence, I don't think you were quite strong enough. For those of us of a certain age the bigger keys of landscape mode are more than a convenience, they would make a big difference in usability. Apple really should have added landscape mode to more apps.

JC713 JC713 said:

I have tried a lot of 3rd party keyboards on Android.

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

And? Your answer is incomplete. I do not want to bash you, just understand you. Have you worked with Adaptxt? With which keyboards have you worked? I have worked with Apple keyboards (iPad, iPhone) and for me it would be a deal breaker so bad it is, just on the keyboard alone. User input is a primary issue, not a secondary issue.

I also think an App like Total Commander is a deal breaker. For me, I would buy an iPhone instead of Android if it was only available on Apple.

ROYAL115 ROYAL115 said:

OS7 works fine for me, I'm not fond of the flat icons, but that's just decoration. My main gripe with iDevices is being tethered to iTunes. And a hardware issue, the lack of a usb port.

I switched to an Android phone for a better monthly tithe, but I hate it. It gets hot in my pocket, each time I pull it out of my pocket it has loaded a random app. =^P

Still rockin' the iPad though.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What do we have here, another Total Commander user? I gotta tell you I'm practically lost without Total Commander. I've been using Total Commander so long, I'm handicapped without it.

I'm not sure what this means for iPhone but I noticed this on the Total Commander website.

Using Total Commander on an Apple Mac?

CrossOver for Mac from CodeWeavers works great with Total Commander: They now offer a 25% discount and specific installation instructions at the provided link!

Provided link:

[link]

Total Commander, Version 8.0, is a Shareware file manager for Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, and Windows® 3.1. And now you can run Total Commander 8 on Mac with CrossOver!

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

Just mentioning that you bought an Android phone and it gave problems, is like saying that you bought a Windows computer and it gave you trouble. Android is not a manufacturer. My Motorola never gets hot and it is an Android phone.

I do have things against Android OS. ICS was very jerky. Fortunately Jelly Bean sorted that out otherwise I might have considered WP. Sony with Android 4.0.3 did get hot however. So sometimes the OS can do things like this.Just get 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean.

I do not trust Google, but I trust Apple even less.

I've never had the problems you mention. It was also wishing for a USB port. Why does no one think that this would be a great addition to a phone? I suppose the battery might not support the power draw from an external drive.

By the way, if you get used to Bible software like My Sword and And Bible, you'll miss it on the iPhone. Esword on iPhone has potential, but still has a long way to go.

1 person liked this | JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

Great to hear fellow TC fan. TC will only work on Mac with crossover. No good news for iPhone users. Handicapped is for sure a good description. Here is my list of need-to-have apps:

1. Total Commander

2. Adaptxt Keyboard

3. Kingsoft Office

4. Whatsapp

5. Vibre

6. Swiss Army Knife

7. Splashtop

8. Opera Mini

9. Business Calendar (Especially the bid Widget)

10. Ivona Voice (Best TTS, no contest)

11. Quickpic

12. MX Player

13. Sugarsync or something similar

14. Evernote (Great app)

15. Profile Scheduler (When there is a meeting on my calendar, it automatically switches to vibrate - something that was default in the OS of Win Mo 6.5

16. PCM Record (Audio Recorder)

17. Battery from MacroPinch