Cyber attack hits Adobe, 2.9 million accounts compromised

By on October 3, 2013, 7:30 PM

Adobe has revealed today that they've been hit with a cyber attack, with intruders stealing a range of information from 2.9 million Adobe customers. Adobe IDs and encrypted passwords were accessed, but far more worrying is the news that customer names, encrypted debit and credit card numbers, expiration dates, and order information relating to product orders was stolen.

While this information was taken, Adobe doesn't believe that the intruders accessed any decrypted information, meaning your credit card information should be safe. Any customers that have been affected by the cyber attack will have their account passwords reset, and Adobe will also offer one year of free credit card monitoring to ensure malicious purchases aren't made.

Adobe also reported that source code to a number of products, including Acrobat and ColdFusion, was stolen in a separate, but potentially related attack. The company claims there is no "specific increased risk to customers" due to the source code theft.

The theft of Adobe customer data comes at a bad time, with the company trying to shift customers to subscription services such as Creative Cloud. The entire Creative Suite moved to the Creative Cloud subscription model earlier this year with mixed feedback, and revelations of cyber attacks on the service will instill no confidence in future buyers.

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I certainly sympathize with Adobe's customers. With that said, something like this couldn't happen to a 'nicer' company.

1 person liked this | p51d007 said:

Another reason I'm sticking with "non cloud" adobe products. Yeah, put all your crap in the adobe cloud, or other software vendor, and POOF!

4 people like this | Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Figures, the first time I actually pay for photoshop and they get compromised.

tomkaten tomkaten said:

Couldn't help but chuckle at Tekka's sincerity

p51d007 said:

The fact that they were compromised has absolutely nothing to do with being in the cloud or not. If I purchased the "non cloud" version of Photoshop off of the Staples website the same exact thing can happen.

RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

Wow wow...that is horrible. I guess it's a good thing I really don't use adobe and don't really have any products of theirs.

Why anyone would elect to place their personal, copyrighted material in a cloud is beyond me. My work is exactly that, mine. I created it, and thus owned and copyrighted by me and me alone.

I have no desire to arbitrarily place it into the hands of anyone who is not a client and paid for a specific work.

PDFs suck royally anyways

avoidz avoidz said:

How many attacks and how much information is taken without these companies' knowledge?