Blue Screen of Death comes to the iPhone 5s

By on October 11, 2013, 11:15 AM

Some users have discovered an unexpected issue with their shiny new iPhone 5s: a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). The BSoD is most commonly associated with Windows, where a kernel error would cause the computer to reboot after a message was displayed on a blue background. While less common in the modern versions of Windows, in the early days of Windows NT a BSoD was often seen following the installation of a bad driver.

On the iPhone 5s though, it appears the BSoD is being caused by something a little bit different. When users have been using the free iWork apps included in iOS, and then go to multitask, the device shows a blue screen briefly before it restarts. Other users have been reporting seemingly random reboots in Apple's support forums.

iOS 7.0.2, the latest update designed to fix the security issues with the lockscreen, appears not to have addressed the BSoDs or random reboots. Some users have found that the iWork-related reboots can be stopped through disabling iCloud syncing for the Pages, Keynote and Numbers apps, although this doesn't appear to be solving all issues.

Current reports indicate Apple is working on iOS 7.0.3 to fix issues related to iMessage, and hopefully the update will also address the recently-discovered BSoD issues.

The Blue Screen of Death error hasn't just been discovered in Windows and (now) iOS; game consoles such as Sony's PlayStation Portable and Nintendo's DS have been known to display blue screens when certain errors have occurred. However the distinctive white text on a blue background will still haunt many PC users the most, with it undoubtedly being the cause of much frustration over the years.

Chazz said:

I guess the rumors that Apple Copied WP design was true! They just snatched the code apparently!!!

/S /J

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

Ha! Further proof that Apple is copying Microsoft ;P

5 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Now MS should sue Apple. You'd think Apple would've at least had the decency to design their own BSOD using a different colour and not ape MS's.

OneSpeed said:

Maybe Apple is working on the three finger salute as well :p

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Looks like a conflict between the Innovation5s.ipa and Innovation4s.ipa archives. Because QuantumLeap (the software that Apple sells with each new generation of iPhone) sometimes gets confused by the similarity of different versions of Innovation and is required to boot the OS, BSoD have been known to occur ever since the 2nd generation iPhone. Because iOS7 doesn't let users disable QuantumLeap, the only solution is to downgrade to a more practical phone. Specifically, the iPhone 4.

t3chn0vamp said:

Copy the good side of windows, not the bugs !!!

fredderf81 said:

You know...I was having an ok day...a bit rough, but not bad....until I saw this. I laughed so hard I nearly pee'd myself. this made my day.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

My my, how the tables have turned.

Camikazi said:

In other words, even with a severely limited number of models Apple still can't program anything right.

They just for got to put up all the jeebrish on that screen like windows!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

When they said color was coming to the new iPhones I didn't know this is what they meant!*nerd*

1 person liked this | IAMTHESTIG said:

Hahahahahaha! That is hilarious... Thanks for the laugh.

misor misor said:

so apple should have a green 'blue screen of death'?. just kidding @Skidmarksdeluxe...(because you posted first what I had in my mind before reading your post)

If Apple can sue Samsung for having a black rectangular phone, surely Microsoft can sue Apple for having a blue crash screen.

hood6558 hood6558 said:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH
HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!

Stop.....can't take....any more...can't catch... breath....

1 person liked this | Arris Arris said:

Nothing beats the WIn8 BSoD with the : ( in it.

I never had Windows 7 BSOD. But I switched to Ubuntu over the whole NSA backdoor fiasco. It took a hit on my gaming... but we have Steam for Linux, and with SteamOS coming along, we can expect tons of Linux support for gaming! :)

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

1. what does this have to do with BSOD on iPhones

2. switching from windows to ubuntu didn't make it any harder for someone to look into what your doing

Back on topic, this is a bummer for all those iphone early adopters they have prob become use to a more stable experience right out of the box. Seems like any iPhone with the letter 5 attached has been pretty bad at launch.

It's not about what I or anyone is doing, it's the principle.