Create the 'perfect' pizza through this mathematical formula

By on October 24, 2013, 8:30 AM

What do you do if you're a mathematician with a love of pizza? You create an equation that describes the perfect pizza, of course! Eugenia Cheng of the University of Sheffield in the UK did such a thing, coming up with the formula below.

In this equation, 't' designates the volume of toppings, 'd' designates the volume of dough and 'r' is the radius of the pizza, with the assumption here being made that the same amount of toppings and dough should be used for each pizza size. Plugging in some numbers reveals the average bite from an 11-inch pizza should have 10% more toppings than a 14-inch pizza, which makes some sense as smaller pizzas tend to be thicker.

While Cheng reportedly did some research to come up with this formula, a lot of what makes a pizza 'perfect' is down to personal preference. Still, we'd love to hear from anyone who decides to use this formula as to whether it truly does produce the perfect pizza.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

1 person liked this | Renrew Renrew said:

Finally, a Techspot article I can sink my teeth into.(groan)

TechGamer TechGamer said:

Meanwhile my brain still cant function 1+1 well just kidding though I get stuck in determinant matrices at school and these guys discover and use all these formulas... sometimes I think that im just a needle in a haystack in this world which will never get noticed :S on the bright side gimmie a perfect pizza im hungry

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Damn. It took me half an hour just to convert imperial to metric. By time I've worked out the perfect pizza I would've already starved to death.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

You go to Bay Ridge Brooklyn, NY to find the perfect Pizza at Grandma's Original Pizzeria.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a walk there and give it a bash seeing I'm only 8000 mi/12900 Km from it.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Uuuummmm....... Sorry to say, but the perfect pizza is already in my stomach!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Tell Mr. Cheung his 15 minutes of fame are over. And he should put some cheese, tomato sauce, and peperoni on this:

And we wish him, "bon appetite"......

tonylukac said:

Have the recipe to one of the greatest Chicago pizzas, Uno/Due, and have baked it, of which Numero Uno pizzeria (nationwide) is a variation. The noticeable ingredient is cornmeal in the crust. Got it from Julia Child on pbs.

dikbozo said:

The true beauty of pizza lies in its near infinite variability. Each and every element can be customized and tweaked to consumer's taste. Add in the idea of a half and half and the permutations reach beyond mere mortal comprehension.

I have been on the long journey to find a 'perfect' pizza since my first taste back in 1970. So far, no luck. The journey continues.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I can also make one from scratch got my pizza stone and also you can make it on your gas grill using the pizza stone. Making your own taste just as good except for the bay ridge ones are the best just like you seen in the movie Saturday Night Fever, where tony goes to Lena pizzeria gets two slices.