PlayStation 4 will require a Day One update to enable many basic features

By on October 25, 2013, 3:45 PM

Sony’s PlayStation 4 will require a Day One software update to enable full console functionality. The patch will weigh in around 300MB and enable basic features like Blu-ray and DVD support, party chat and the ability to listen to music in the background while playing a game.

Other more complex features that will be missing out of the box include Remote Play on the PS Vita and the ability to record and upload gameplay highlights using the Share button. What’s more, gamers won’t be able to livestream sessions through Twitch and Ustream without the 1.50 update nor will they be able to use voice commands and facial recognition features via the optional PS4 Eye accessory.

It doesn’t end there, either, as the update will be necessary to use Sony’s ‘play as you download’ feature powered by technology acquired from Gaikai. As Engadget correctly pegs it, pretty much everything we’ve heard Sony talk about in the lead up to the PS4’s launch won’t be available without the update.

Looking past how so many crucial features missed being baked into the console from the factory, I can already see how this will play out based on experience with other massive updates and online-required game updates. In short, there will be a lot of pissed off gamers come November 15 and in the days that follow that won’t be able to get the update because the servers will be overloaded. I invite Sony to prove me wrong and allocate enough download servers in advance but given precedent, I just don’t see that happening.

It is unavoidable or they would avoid it, better than delaying the console.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Basically without the update the console is useless, and without the update you can't access any of the online features. Server issues will be unavoidable, people will be upset, I will not be one of them. Unless your the 14 year old girl out of your group of friends, you can wait a week to get this thing, and then no headaches will be had, simple really. But this is just one update out of the couple dozen in the first year of a consoles life, the fact that there's an update before it goes live, that's impressive and likely a sign of things to come.

3 people like this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

The tone of this article renders it useless. As has already been mentioned by the previous responses; so what? if it means more mature and functional drivers then I would have zero issue with a download, it's not like it's original or new and therefore questionable; I buy a model and the first thing I have to do is download updated drivers.I buy a NEW game and first thing that happens is it checks for updated code. Yet again another article that is proving out the fact that the editors and writers of this site have a serious biased, be it bought and paid for or simply they are M$ and Apple window lickers is yet to be determined.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Odd you will have to connect to the internet to activate DVD and Blu-ray playback.

yorro said:

I guess the hardware was already in production when the update came out. They had to push it somehow. The problem is the server issue on day one, as a gamer from the 56kbps era, I can wait.

I agree with Ranger1st.

2 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

This doesnt surprise me. They have to work out any small details even after mass production has begun.

3 people like this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

I've heard that both consoles will have the update on the official launch date to prevent people from using it properly if it's released prematurely...

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

But But I don't have the internet where I live. How will I play my M.A.S.H DVDs

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

300mb. Joy. Glad I'm not preordering and expecting to play on day one.

Sorry Shawn Knight...I wont be pissed off. I just want my PS4 already!!! Updates and patches are part of technology....I can almost guarantee your windows did an update before or during the post of this article by you. :)

backo said:

People wanted a console that works completely offline... Sony provided I do not see an issue.

2 people like this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Come on people, it's 2013. Are we really surprised about this? Anyone who is genuinely upset by this has bigger problems.

likedamaster said:

Informative article, thank you.

Rasta211 said:

Maybe they should have a waiting list...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

A "DayOne" update!?

Ha!

you cant imagine what can be hidden in 300mb...

that update is just an excuse to gather all info about the first user, so they can control where EACH ps4 have been plugged and turned it on, companies ALWAYS wanted to know that data... remember the "registry your product" card that use to come in every (even a simply calculator) device in 80s 90s and 00s? not everybody does that, but this "update" is a forced way to do that, but since it is only an update to get it properly working... you never think it is to tell yell at sony "hey my name is alex and I have purchased a ps4 and I am in France, my ISP is ... and my physical address is this and that..."

since sony says it is an update, they dot have to ask you to sign or to accept a privacy statement, so the info can be sell to anybody under the table... like the government?

it is a very "like apple behavior"...

I am not interested to tell sony where I am and who I am... but cracks and offline support will arise...

I bet this is some ploy to hide DRM as a "Update". Get User X to log in, register, then download the update. Then the server knows User X owns the PS4, so when the PS4 gets banned for hardware mods, they can blacklist the account.

Elegant, if I do say so myself.

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

JC, just what are you smoking when you call a 300 MB download a, "small detail"? I'd sure be deeply beholding to you if you'd save me some....

Emexrulsier said:

Makes you laugh when the emphasis and exaggerate small patches such as this as if we are all still on 9.6k modems. Whoopie do the patch will take around 30 seconds to download OMG quick lets cancel the console and commit mass suicide the end is nigh!

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Let me correct that . Thousands of small details .

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

When you consider that Windows XP installed from a CD, (max capacity about 700MB), then what you call, a "small patch", (300MB), actually is a "big deal"..

Moving on. Wow, your internet is so fast, can I have your autograph?

I see you're still waiting for your first "like". With the yap on you, I wouldn't hold my breath.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Only a brat would be upset over this.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Only a brat would be upset over this.
What would you consider the brat / non brat ratio would be of potential Play Station consumers?

Besides, a big update before you can fully use the console, would be a big downer on Christmas day. Would it not?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

If I was Sony, I'd be spending an enormous chunk of change on server allocation to make sure this update goes smoothly. Especially considering the limited release audience on release (USA, who else?). You can't put the price on the potential loss of good PR.

That's actually a possibility! Nice.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If you were sharing what you think JC is smoking then a 300 Mb download should be done in the blink of an eye. Maybe Sony should bundle some of this "Magic mixture" with their consoles then they'd hear no complaints from anyone, in fact it could even help Sony outsell the XB 10 to 1.

Emexrulsier said:

Moving on. Wow, your internet is so fast, can I have your autograph?

Why quote an operating system that is over a decade old in comparison to a os update for a current console that's just retarded. And yes I like billions of others would consider 300Mb a small update 300Gb on the other hand would be classed a big . On a side note if your internet speed is so slow then tbh the ps4 is also out of your league.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Because a console touted as being 100% functional while offline is out of peoples' leagues?

Puiu Puiu said:

So many complaining about 300MB... it's not you are required to download a full HD movie or GB's of data. 300 MB is a small update considering the fact that it is an important update.

And as others said, this update (like the one on the xbox) is most likely to protect the consoles from the people who might try to release them earlier than planed.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I of course these days, I am a reformed, and have reverted back to an "unenlightened" redneck. Although I'd still like to point out, the s*** we used to smoke, actually made time almost stand still. The moral here is, in those days, a 300mb download would have taken forever, or certainly seemed like it. (Although you could alleviate some of the boredom by watching candles melt, and/or watching the light trails from the taillights of passing cars..:oops: ).

For all of you, an OS patch can't be compared with downloading a movie. First of all, there's Redbox, your first line of defense against the MPAA, and second, any type of imaging files are mostly to blame for the massive HDDs that all of us need these days. (The RAW files from my DSLRs range from 3 to 7MB, and they're ancient, puny, 10.2 MB sensors)

So, while you wouldn't get a whimper out of me to about having to download a 1GB scenery file, I'm going to keep bitching about a 300MB OS patch to get the console up and running correctly and fully functional. It should have been done before it ships.

Even M$ has more reasonable excuses for a zero day patch on a new OS. For example, "we couldn't test every program in the world for compatibility", or "that piece of malware didn't even exist.when we pressed the first run of discs".

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Sim city, gta5 and diablo3 all has day one problems... why not give the patch today so they can run it via thumb drive when the ps4 arrives.. less hassle for both sides.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

A "DayOne" update!?

Ha!

you cant imagine what can be hidden in 300mb...

it is a very "like apple behavior"...

What "Guest" has said here, makes the most sense so far.

freythman freythman said:

I'm with Cranky and Guest. They are basically looking for a way to "track" where these puppies are being used. There's no reason why BD/DVD should be disabled, pending an update, unless big Sony wants some way to force people to connect, agree to some terms, and then happily hand over some data.

1 person liked this | Jason Stockler Jason Stockler said:

I find that this is not only typical of companies not being able to complete a product at the time of release but also pathetic that they then use their customers to beta test their final product. The fact that not all of the product is 100% ready upon purchase from the store, but to then go home, set it up and then wait while you have to patch the machine is just sad. the mere fact that people posting here are saying its okay is just the results of the usual disappointing business practices that companies now do and as customers, we can only sigh and just say that its okay, they will fix it....eventually. That's why now a days, people who have patience wait until all the muck ups are fixed. Sorry but I don't feel like betaing a final product. I will wait until they fix it all.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What "Guest" has said here, makes the most sense so far.

Put me in the list as well.

EsOhCeeBFD EsOhCeeBFD said:

Shut up and take my money.