Here's what it looks like to get hit in the face with a tank shell

By on October 31, 2013, 9:30 AM

As realistic as they may seem, video games like Battlefield and Call of Duty do very little to prepare you for what it’s really like to go face to face with the enemy. Case in point, this video of a tank rolling up, taking aim and firing a round... directly at you.

Can you imagine just how frightening it would be if this were the last thing you saw before everything goes black? The clip was supposedly shot in Syria and based on reader feedback from Gizmodo, the shell may be a 3BK14 HEAT round. Based on a muzzle velocity of around 905 m/s, the camera was likely positioned about 1,000 meters out at full zoom. Impressive, and frightening.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

1 person liked this | Phillip Seni said:

so the video game 'footage' is an actual event? wow.

4 people like this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Not really sure where your seeing video game but as an infantry solider, that shit makes my sphincter crawl up to somewhere near my duodenum and I was getting ready to sprint from my computer chair as the cupola came to bear..

6 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As a 20 year infantry vet I can tell you there is nothing more scary than a tank in urban warfare. Your rifle and anti-personnel grenades are useless against it. You can hear the treads and feel the ground shake before you see it. And once it starts leveling houses and buildings with it's main gun, you only have two options: 1) run like hell, or 2) curl up in a fetal position and hope you're not one of the targets.

indiangamer said:

Looks better in Battlefield 4 -_-

Chazz said:

I felt my heart drop seeing that round flying towards the camera. I don't understand how or why but I was quite shook and felt I got hit when I heard the crash >_<

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

As a 30 year infantry vet I know exactly what you're saying.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

As a 40y old vet I also aprove this message

2 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As a 50 year old vet, you youngsters and your 3BK14 HEAT rounds, in my day we just used balls of metal...

Video has been proven to be fake, a tank shell would be travelling at 2000 feet per second, it would not arc that low, and the equipment needed to record this video (Excluding the clearly shopped shell) would be as big as a car to haul around.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Heavy weapons det in our platoon used Carl Gustav 84 mm recoilless rifle. I was trained on it. Round is very slow, sure wouldn't want to try and take out modern armour with it. But I'm too old and out of shape for soldiering anymore anyway. Was a nice item back in the day to have with you than just assault rifles and LMG's

The only thing more scary than a tank is an anti-tank missile.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

I know Canada had the TOW and second gen. TOW, but that Javelin is a real piece of work. Sure is expensive tho.

1 person liked this | Phillip Seni said:

As a 30 year infantry vet I know exactly what you're saying.

as a coward who choose not to fight or engage in weapons/hand-to-hand combat, I salute your 30 years of dedicated service.

exchange balls of metal with bow and arrow wait, is that in the time of flintlock guns?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It was not of my choosing. I was a conscript. Given the choice I would've followed in your footsteps.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'm not so sure. The projectile is pretty heavy and arcing begins immediately after the projectile leaves the barrel. That's gravity for you.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Sure is a sophisticated weapon of destruction. In my day these things never existed and I'm sure glad about that but we did have to haul 155 mm artillery through the bush. How warfare has changed, and not for the better. It'll always be a senseless waste of everything especially life. Very saddening.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Me too. I meant to say I was a vet 30 years ago. I served in the military from the late 70's through to the late 80's.

wiyosaya said:

I've recently been thinking along the same lines, too. I second your voice, I see it as an extreme waste of life and human resources. If, instead of warring, we had learned to cooperate long ago instead of competing, we may have been exploring the stars by now.

Fake or no fake? Coul be a fake. What tank is that? I am ex-antinarcotics UC-OP and was attached at UNOMOZ in Mocambique civil war. I've seen the action and the results. Hence to all vets: could it be a german Leo tank? Thanks in advance! I would need that info for my trainees.

Dr.h.c.Frank "Bongani"Koch

Anti Poaching Unit SADC

W A T

[email removed]

Not that frightening, Just press LB to activate your energy shields and you'll be fine.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Doesn't really feel any better watching it from a screen to be honest