CyanogenMod one-click installer for Android arrives in Google Play

By on November 13, 2013, 8:30 AM
android, cyanogenmod, google play

CyanogenMod, an alternative open-source distribution of Android, just got much easier to deal with for novice users with the release of an installer tool on Google Play. A client component is also available as the installation process requires a phone to be connected to a Windows PC (Vista or higher).

For those who are unaware, CyanogenMod is a customized, open source distribution for Android devices based on the official releases by Google with added original and third-party code for a few extra features. Whether your carrier or device manufacturer has stopped providing updates or you are waiting to receive official updates, you can use CyanogenMod to install up-to-date versions of Android OS on selected Android devices.

Tinkering with a device's firmware is always dangerous. If anything goes wrong, there's the possibility that you'll end up with a bricked device, so backing up important data should be first on your list when installing the latest Android versions through CyanogenMod. Users are also advised to check their phone is completely charged, and make sure no antivirus is active during the installation. Detailed instructions are available on the wiki page.

The open-source ROM offers a pure Android experience as it does not include OEM apps and features that many consider as "Bloat". It does includes a number of enhancements like FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) support, Wi-Fi, USB and Bluetooth tethering support, an OpenVPN client, and more.

CyanogenMod has received $7 million in funding so far and has been installed in over 9 million devices worldwide. It currently provides a custom ROM based on Android's Jelly Bean 4.3 release.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Woohooo!!!!!!!!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'm too chicken to mod my device. I don't know enough about it besides I'll probably wind up with a bricked device. I'll leave it up to the more 'adventurous' folk.

1 person liked this | insect said:

Neato.

I know they have the 4.4 Source code up and will probably have CM11 (4.4 "KitKat" out the door in a little while. By far the best (I.e., most features and stable) ROM out there, although I did soft-brick my device going from 10.1 to 10.2 and had to ODIN back to stock and start over... whoops!

highlander84 said:

Well I can say that installing a custom rom is rather simple.... I am currently running Temasek unofficial CM11 (Android 4.4) on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I must say the custom roms are far superior to "Stock" roms... As for this one-click installer...AWESOME! More people can try the cutting edge and get more out of their device!

lipe123 said:

Just be carefull cyanogenmod's d2att build (for samsung galaxy S3 for example) has really buggy bluetooth. It's a whole process to connect to my car system every morning

Other than that the install is really easy and just make sure you back up of course!

highlander84 said:

Luckily I never use Bluetooth... So I have avoided that problem! lol I can say the current ROM I am running is amazing...better than any previous custom ROM.

ikesmasher said:

You really dont have to know much about it. God knows I didnt and I managed to root mine eventually. You just have to follow the guides carefully.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Latest stable is 4.2. I'm on 4.3 on n4 with 4.4 coming shortly, so I think I'll stay stock.

bob333 bob333 said:

Lets see if there will be report of bricked devices from this App.