Sony sells more than a million PlayStation 4s within the first 24 hours

By on November 18, 2013, 6:00 AM
sony, microsoft, playstation, sales, playstation 4, gaming console, xbox one

Last week it was revealed that Sony intends to sell three million PlayStation 4 consoles by the end of this year. With launch weekend in the history books and consoles now in the hands of eager gamers, just how many systems has Sony moved thus far?

Within 24 hours of going on sale this past Friday, consumers in North America scooped up more than one million PlayStation 4 consoles according to president of worldwide studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Shuhei Yoshida.

It would appear as though Sony’s decision to launch the PlayStation 4 a week ahead of Microsoft’s Xbox One is paying dividends early and often. In fact, the PS4 is off to the fastest start ever for a PlayStation console. That has to bode well for CEO Kazuo Hirai as he continues to orchestrate an ambitious corporate turnaround.

This coming Friday will belong to Microsoft as the Xbox One finally hits retailers. It’ll be priced $100 more than the PS4 ($499 versus $399) yet despite the higher price tag and a number of hiccups and backtracking over the past several months, most expect Redmond to sell plenty of consoles this holiday season. Both systems are likely to be in short supply through the rest of the year.

Gamers in other parts of the world won’t have to wait too much longer to get their hands on a PS4. Sony will launch their next generation console in Europe and Latin America on November 29 and in Japan on February 22 of next year.




User Comments: 21

Got something to say? Post a comment
2 people like this | ikesmasher said:

Unless you want kinect, or just cant stand the pS4 controller, I cant see any reason to buy the xbox 1 over the PS4.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Unless you want kinect, or just cant stand the pS4 controller, I cant see any reason to buy the xbox 1 over the PS4.

Agreed, from everything I've read as well the PS4 controller is a big improvement over the older design as well. I certainly felt it was way better than the PS3 controller when I tried it at Eurogamer.

ikesmasher said:

Agreed, from everything I've read as well the PS4 controller is a big improvement over the older design as well. I certainly felt it was way better than the PS3 controller when I tried it at Eurogamer.

Would you say the josyticks felt a little more like the xbox ones? like, sort of stiffer?

Taharial said:

Unless you want kinect, or just cant stand the pS4 controller, I cant see any reason to buy the xbox 1 over the PS4.

I don't think it's quite that cut & dry. Exclusives are also a large factor in what system most people choose. I'm more excited for Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct than Killzone, for example. Ultimately I'll own both systems but I'm picking up the X-Box One at launch due to the exclusives.

neokal said:

Unless you want kinect, or just cant stand the pS4 controller, I cant see any reason to buy the xbox 1 over the PS4.

Titanfall, Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, Halo...

The only exclusive I'm looking forward to on the PS4 is the next game by Naughty Dog, which hasn't even been announced yet.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Would you say the josyticks felt a little more like the xbox ones? like, sort of stiffer?

A Little bit, it's the ridge they've put around it that makes it feel similar, the material used is grippier than the 360 analog sticks, the triggers are much better thanks the way they bend upwards instead of down, overall I really liked it. Don't get me wrong, the Xbox controller is also very nice in the hand, but the Playstation is just as nice now, it's down to personal preference, But considering the amount of "one-up's" the playstation has over the Xbox, you would need to really hate the Playstation controller.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

I don't think it's quite that cut & dry. Exclusives are also a large factor in what system most people choose. I'm more excited for Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct than Killzone, for example. Ultimately I'll own both systems but I'm picking up the X-Box One at launch due to the exclusives.

That was what I was forgetting. I just dont play exclusives as much anymore, many of them far too many games made for (In terms of xbox, halo - The series needs to die in peace) And gears of war being too gore-mongering. But again. I did forget about exclusives.

In my case, (any many others), however, there is still no reason to get the xbox 1 over the PS4. Even now AAA exclusive series to consoles number what, 6-7 each?

2 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That was what I was forgetting. I just dont play exclusives as much anymore, many of them far too many games made for (In terms of xbox, halo - The series needs to die in peace) And gears of war being too gore-mongering. But again. I did forget about exclusives.

In my case, (any many others), however, there is still no reason to get the xbox 1 over the PS4. Even now AAA exclusive series to consoles number what, 6-7 each?

I was thinking the same thing, Halo shouldn't have continued, Hell it should have died at number 3 although Reach wasn't that bad, Gears of War was forgettable, Forza is a racing game, Sony have plenty of those, hell DriveClub is actually pretty good and is free with a Playstation Plus subscription. Ryse is from Crytek, Their last few games haven't had particularly raving reviews, Titanfall is on PC, Quantum Break actually looks interesting I'll give you that, Dead Rising is a case of "been there, done that" and Killer Instinct is an old franchise coming back but since it is a beat em up you kinda have to like that kind of gameplay.

Exclusives are personal Preference, I got a 360 from Launch, liked the exclusives it had but it was stale for the last 2 years, I got a PS3 earlier this year and I can happily say Sony have the better (way better) first party devs.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

While I love the improvements to the console so far, my biggest problem with it is the fact that it has only really one true launch title...killzone.

While it's a good game, I feel that the launch was too rushed and does not have the amount of games needed to interest people in this console yet. Re-hashed games don't count as launch titles in my book towards the console because the differences are small (granted bf4 on next gen has 64 player support).

Both consoles have a low selection, but to me the Xbox one has a better day one selection with forza, killer instinct, and dead rising 3.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

While I love the improvements to the console so far, my biggest problem with it is the fact that it has only really one true launch title...killzone.

While it's a good game, I feel that the launch was too rushed and does not have the amount of games needed to interest people in this console yet. Re-hashed games don't count as launch titles in my book towards the console because the differences are small (granted bf4 on next gen has 64 player support).

Both consoles have a low selection, but to me the Xbox one has a better day one selection with forza, killer instinct, and dead rising 3.

Agreed, they wanted to beat Xbox by launching before them, they have basically learnt from past mistakes that launching a year later is a bad idea. But you are right, Xbox has the more interesting line up at launch.

But as we saw last gen, the launch titles are not particularly important, it's the first party devs and exclusives that count later on in the consoles life, variety in games and the hardware's capability to last 5+ years, The PS4 has the upper hand here, although the Xbox has more interesting games at launch, that's precisely it, they are "interesting" not great, the PS4 just has less Interesting games so far, I'm happy to bet though overall in this race, Sony's console will have the better library of games, They are clearly making a huge effort with the PS4 and Sony have been the leader with the PS1 and PS2, they have the know how, they just need to apply themselves, the way I see it, I would rather wait for an amazing game (example: The Last of Us (PS3)) than buy a console based on a launch game (Example: Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox360).

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Agreed, they wanted to beat Xbox by launching before them, they have basically learnt from past mistakes that launching a year later is a bad idea. But you are right, Xbox has the more interesting line up at launch.

But as we saw last gen, the launch titles are not particularly important, it's the first party devs and exclusives that count later on in the consoles life, variety in games and the hardware's capability to last 5+ years, The PS4 has the upper hand here, although the Xbox has more interesting games at launch, that's precisely it, they are "interesting" not great, the PS4 just has less Interesting games so far, I'm happy to bet though overall in this race, Sony's console will have the better library of games, They are clearly making a huge effort with the PS4 and Sony have been the leader with the PS1 and PS2, they have the know how, they just need to apply themselves, the way I see it, I would rather wait for an amazing game (example: The Last of Us (PS3)) than buy a console based on a launch game (Example: Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox360).

Launch titles to me are important to get the console going and on the shelves for people to want the console. Though the PS4 moved a lot of units, I just personally wish I had a better selection of games while browsing the isle of games for the console.

If we look at the past, there has been many mistakes in console launches that jeopardized the console from being a great system regardless of whether it was good or not. Best example I can think of is the Sega Saturn which was a revolutionary system and honestly significantly better all around than that of the competing Playstation. It failed (well not completely, but it wasn't successful) mostly due to a horrid day one launch selection and general game selection for the first months of the console among other things. The console launch was not the only reason for that consoles failure mind you, but it was the start of a bad hand that kept them from doing well.

Honestly, I have been more of a fan of Xbox in the past and right now I still am because most of the announced games on this system are sounding better to me, but ive bought both consoles so the argument for me at least is going to come down to which console will I buy the multi-platform games for, which I have no idea at the moment. Right now the PS4 has one major game I want and have been dying to play for years Final Finatasy 15 (IE Final Fantasy Versus 13 renamed to 15) which is system exclusive. But looking at the system exclusives, neither has the upper hand because they both have a robust library of games that are exclusive.

Who knows, only time will tell, all I was saying was this is not a good way to start a launch of a console without some more games. I think the best part of the PS4 for me is the controller actually feels comfortable this go round which is a huge improvement over that PS3 controller which I always felt was awkward.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Agreed, they wanted to beat Xbox by launching before them, they have basically learnt from past mistakes that launching a year later is a bad idea. But you are right, Xbox has the more interesting line up at launch.

But as we saw last gen, the launch titles are not particularly important, it's the first party devs and exclusives that count later on in the consoles life, variety in games and the hardware's capability to last 5+ years, The PS4 has the upper hand here, although the Xbox has more interesting games at launch, that's precisely it, they are "interesting" not great, the PS4 just has less Interesting games so far, I'm happy to bet though overall in this race, Sony's console will have the better library of games, They are clearly making a huge effort with the PS4 and Sony have been the leader with the PS1 and PS2, they have the know how, they just need to apply themselves, the way I see it, I would rather wait for an amazing game (example: The Last of Us (PS3)) than buy a console based on a launch game (Example: Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox360).

Launch titles to me are important to get the console going and on the shelves for people to want the console. Though the PS4 moved a lot of units, I just personally wish I had a better selection of games while browsing the isle of games for the console.

If we look at the past, there has been many mistakes in console launches that jeopardized the console from being a great system regardless of whether it was good or not. Best example I can think of is the Sega Saturn which was a revolutionary system and honestly significantly better all around than that of the competing Playstation. It failed (well not completely, but it wasn't successful) mostly due to a horrid day one launch selection and general game selection for the first months of the console among other things. The console launch was not the only reason for that consoles failure mind you, but it was the start of a bad hand that kept them from doing well.

Honestly, I have been more of a fan of Xbox in the past and right now I still am because most of the announced games on this system are sounding better to me, but ive bought both consoles so the argument for me at least is going to come down to which console will I buy the multi-platform games for, which I have no idea at the moment. Right now the PS4 has one major game I want and have been dying to play for years Final Finatasy 15 (IE Final Fantasy Versus 13 renamed to 15) which is system exclusive. But looking at the system exclusives, neither has the upper hand because they both have a robust library of games that are exclusive.

Who knows, only time will tell, all I was saying was this is not a good way to start a launch of a console without some more games. I think the best part of the PS4 for me is the controller actually feels comfortable this go round which is a huge improvement over that PS3 controller which I always felt was awkward.

Glad to see someone else who feels the controller is a big improvement

Yeah the Sega Saturn is a good example but the PS3 managed to survive while it was overly expensive, Large, had a small library of games and was just generally bad at launch :/

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Glad to see someone else who feels the controller is a big improvement

Yeah the Sega Saturn is a good example but the PS3 managed to survive while it was overly expensive, Large, had a small library of games and was just generally bad at launch :/

Yea, I like the new controller but my only complaint is that touch panel in the center. I just am not a big fan of having that on a controller because touch panels are just a little awkward on a controller at least for me. But the grip, triggers, and such are much nicer this round and actually feel like they were designed to be held in a hand.

The PS3 to me failed because of three big reasons:

1: Launch price exceeding 600 bucks in 2005

2: Poor Launch and system exclusive games until late in life

3: Exceedingly hard console to program on.

This round, Sony has thrown all the cards on the table with the PS4 with the price, specs, and overall design along with the open development options which I believe is an excellent start. But if they are focused on saying this is a straight up "Game Console" you need games...

Here's all I have done so far with my PS4:

Played some killzone

Imported PS3 stuff over like my account

Watched few episodes of Blu-ray Spartacus: War of the Damned

That's my problem right there, that's all I have felt like doing because there were no other games I felt like getting at the store. The console has potential, I just want some more games to come out soon.

gamoniac said:

I don't understand why so many people look at just the hardware specs and reach a verdict, before XB1 even hit the market. PS4 has its share of launch issue (See ArsTechnica's review). And to say that exclusives are not important is to say content is not important. Huh?

At the end of the day, it is about delivering the service and the content. PS4 for example, doesn't currently distribute music via third party apps. Sony needs to change that sooner than later.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Sony receives more than a few thousand returns too xD

Guest said:

How surprising.. No PC master race bulls**t so far..

Microsoft and Sony can show off their latest gadgets in every way they can, but they know PC's capabilities are far superior than the consoles today.

bexwhitt said:

"million PlayStation 4s within the first 24 hours"

half of them actually worked.

[link]

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, Sony, why did you not check your machines turned on after being made? Quality control has gone down hill :/

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

"million PlayStation 4s within the first 24 hours"

half of them actually worked.

[link]

The funny thing is, though, is that 95% of people that leave reviews are people that are there because they have had a noteably bad experience. goes for most products.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Unless you want kinect, or just cant stand the pS4 controller, I cant see any reason to buy the xbox 1 over the PS4.

Titanfall, Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, Halo...

The only exclusive I'm looking forward to on the PS4 is the next game by Naughty Dog, which hasn't even been announced yet.

Those titles are for hardcore gamers, it will not matter for the casual gamers. Casual gamers want the cheaper price.

bexwhitt said:

The funny thing is, though, is that 95% of people that leave reviews are people that are there because they have had a noteably bad experience. goes for most products.

sure I understand that and I was obviously being flippant with my post but I am but buying 0.4% failure rate sony is spouting

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.