Firefox’s streamlined “Australis” user interface lands in nightly build

By on November 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
mozilla, firefox, download, australis

Firefox has officially announced availability of its new "Australis" theme for testing purposes. The redesigned interface brings in a number of visual and UX changes to the popular open-source browser. For example, browser tabs now sit higher in the titlebar, have a fluid shape (like Chrome tabs) and are visually de-emphasized when in background but slide forward into focus on a mouse rollover.

Other features, some of which had already shipped in earlier versions, include a forward button that shows up only when there’s somewhere to go forward to, a download button that converts into progress bar during an active download session, a button to easily fetch saved bookmarks, and more.

While the most frequently used controls are prominently displayed as buttons on the toolbar, there is also a touch friendly menu towards the far right, which lists widely but less frequently-used controls. Australis also features a customization mode through which the menu and the toolbar can easily be tailored to your liking.

This is said to be the next generation of Mozilla's Firefox user experience and the "most beautiful and detail-obsessed" interface yet. It simplifies and streamlines the default interface and makes it more extensible to accommodate future features. It also brings in consistency and unification to the look and feel of the browser across various devices.

The theme was first previewed in 2012 and according to Mozilla, it still needs more polishing. To download the latest nightly build (Windows, Mac or Linux) please head here.

1 person liked this | treeski treeski said:

Not loving the new look.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Is that Firefox or Chrome? Ever since Firefox hit version 4 they've been going downhill for me. Looks like I haven't missed much.

2 people like this | Chazz said:

I really don't like how they keep moving towards chrome's design. I use FF for a reason. I'll have to use IE(good browser now, but im still a bit prejudice about it) or opera pretty soon. I use FF nightly btw as my daily browser.

Please Mozilla, be yourselves.

1 person liked this | learninmypc learninmypc said:

I won't use IE, but I might re try Opera. Hmmmm

Serag said:

I read about Australis a year ago and saw the concept ideas, I was afraid that the approach for simplicity might lead them to take away some of the powerful customization Firefox has, I was wrong.

This is exactly why I still use this great browser, Chrome might have faster startup times but Firefox is open, fast, customizable to a huge extend and most of all, it's not Google.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

I like my browser interface the way it is now. Not too simple or complex. from the screenshots it looks as if the navigation bar I can add (File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, and Help) is removed completely and I don't think I will enjoy using a browser without those. Or my bookmark toolbar which is SO useful.

Chazz said:

It still has a bookmark toolbar, you just have to right-click the blue space at the top and select it. All features are still there I think, but now you have to press buttons and go through drop down boxes. It's highly customizable, but I don't like the look at all.

1 person liked this | turismozilla turismozilla said:

At last, I dig's Chrome interface, not Chrome's performance, this is most welcome.

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

1 person liked this | hammer2085 said:

> What they should do is make this a new theme not a new look. They should allow for the continued use of the old look as well as introducing the new look.

Now that would be smart thing to do.

1 person liked this | Senthil.c Senthil.c said:

This looks great on my mac.. well done!

bugejakurt said:

LOL! I think browser designers nowadays don't have a hard time figuring out how to do a good browser design.... They just copy Chrome's design.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

That would be true if Chrome WAS a good design. What Chrome has is "market share", because its f'ing included pre-checked for install with *EVERYTHING*. If Mozilla had been smart enough to keep doing this (like they did in the early '00's) and expand it, they would still be #1. Instead their trying to imitate the perceived market leader becaue that's what clueless companies do.

bugejakurt said:

The reason I switched to Chrome when it launched was its noticeable speed improvement and its snappier response to open and close tabs and to open the browser itself. Chrome's developer tools are awesome and its HTML 5 support is top notch. What more do you need than that? I think it's the best browser around. I have to admit Firefox has improved lately especially in performance but it's still not snappy as Chrome and it's developer tools are not refined and are missing features. I'm a web developer and I use Chrome daily to develop with.