Microsoft matches Sony, sells over a million Xbox One consoles in the first 24 hours

By on November 23, 2013, 11:00 AM
sony, microsoft, xbox, sales, playstation 4, gaming console, xbox one

Microsoft has managed to sell more than a million Xbox One consoles within the first 24 hours, much like Sony did with the PlayStation 4 a week ago. Redmond launched their next generation console in 13 markets on November 22 with 22 games (10 exclusive titles) which is now sold out at most retailers according to a post on the official Xbox website.

Sales surpassed day one Xbox 360 sales exactly eight years ago which makes it the biggest launch in Xbox history. Microsoft said they are working as quickly as possible to replenish stock to meet customer demand.

Sales figures aside, Microsoft also provided some pretty neat statistics on some of their launch titles. For example, over 60 million zombies have been killed in Dead Rising 3, more than 3.6 million miles driven in Forza Motorsport 5, over 7.1 million combos have been pulled off in Killer Instinct and more than 8.5 million enemies have been defeated in Ryse: Son of Rome.

That doesn’t mean everyone is just sitting on the couch playing games, however. According to Microsoft, more than 43.3 million Fit Points have been earned in Xbox Fitness thus far.

Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing and Strategy for Xbox said they are humbled and grateful for the excitement of Xbox fans around the globe. It was truly exciting to see fans lined up to get their Xbox One, Mehdi said, and they look forward to fulfilling holiday gift wishes this season.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"over 60 million zombies have been killed..." Hahaha!! That's some fun figures. Kind of cool that they're counting.

But the one figure, over 1 million systems sold bothers me a little. I think that they could have doubled that, maybe tripled on day one if they had the stores packed with systems. Every store around me sold out, and there were more customers looking through out the day.

OK, Mr Journalist....U failed to realize or refuse to mention that the 1 million units sold has to do with Worldwide release as oppose to SONY'S US only release. Get your facts straight Mr Knight. And why are you guys taking so long to report the blatant failures of the XBoxOne? Disk drive failures...software issues ...the list goes on.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Oh, a Guest. I'll just read that as "Congrats Microsoft for the successful Xbox One launch!" :P

2 people like this | Guest said:

Yep...Congrats on your WORLDWIDE LAUNCH, Microsoft.

2 people like this | lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lol very misleading title. Xbox One launched in 13 markets. Sony launched only in NA.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Oh, a Guest. I'll just read that as "Congrats Microsoft for the successful Xbox One launch!" :p

Hes right... :p

The PS4 sold a million in US/canada and the xbox sold a million worldwide.

And errors with new consoles, guest, are hardly news, so no one should really be posting it as such. But I suppose since it happened with the PS4 it should also happen with the xbox.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

What was that? Sorry I cant hear you over the blue light of death fiasco. Guests will be guests lol.

Either way, both have opened to rousing successes. Having both, I will say that at launch im preferring my XBOX ONE for the feature set, but that may change once more games flood the market.

ikesmasher said:

And the blue light fiasco was WIDELY reported. So why arent the xbox issues? thats all guest is saying.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I find this all so humorous, I don't even rush to the dinner table. I sit back laughing at everyone else, waiting for them to get out of the way. And if there is something wrong with a specific dish, I hear about it before I fill my plate.

Everyone here knows I would never buy a console. But if I did, I would definitely wait for all the issues to become known. I've got to be honest, I simply do not have the patients to deal with first day issues. And anyone complaining about them, only have their selves to blame. Thats like being the first one to the table and then complaining no one warned them of a terrible dish.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Well first of all I have both consoles and mine both work great.

Second, maybe because the Broken Drive issue is alot more secluded than that of the Whole console failing issue. Most reports I have been seeing say the failure rate of the PS4 has been higher than the broken blu-ray drive on the ONE. Either way failures will happen with both but it seems to me at least that the PS4 has been more known on the failures than the drive issue has been.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

I just love it when we have people ignoring how low in quantity something really sells, but promote it to be selling in large quantities without any detail. Foolish fools, come to the computer side of graphics and feast your eyes on the eye candy =p Just kidding. Let's just see in detail how both work out instead of posting nonsense. On this article I'd really be careful, cause the start of it actually seems to say that the xbox1 came close to ps4 sales. Remember that PS4 still needs to sell them in South-America, Europe and Japan. =p Seems like microsoft is trying to pull off something similar to what AMD did, when AMD wanted to brag about how fast their Bulldozer CPU's had become =p (even insinuating to be faster then intel)

GunsAblazin said:

blue light of death fiasco.

I wouldn't call a 1% failure rate a fiasco. MS is probably experiencing similar issues.

4 people like this | Guest said:

I'll never understand people who support a company, not a product... I mean, you buy stuff, you use it, you like it - great, well done. Why fall in love with the brand name? That's beyond me. Or is it just marketing, hired bloggers? I just don't get it. If I like iPhone, I buy it and use it, I say it is good. And suddenly I'm called "Apple fanboy". I like the product, not the whole bloody corporation that consists of more people than I'll ever know. If you like your Xbox, great! Why love and congratulate Microsoft? Or hate Sony? I just don't get it. Well, I suppose, if you use and like many or most products made by some company, then you could generalise and say you like the company because it makes mostly good products. But loving a company you don't know, just because it made one single product that you like... I just think it's irrational. Sort of blindly supporting the government policy of a country just because you had a nice meal in a cafe on your last trip there. All this "fanboy" stuff seems just unhealthy to me, probably some side effect of marketing efforts... Oh well.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

You are more willing to get a product from the same company, in these cases, because you've already invested time and money in their ecosystem...

1 person liked this | Xtreme gamer said:

Why can't you buy both?

I plan too.

You will have them for at least 6 years.

And they are both cheap this time around.

Play any exclusive game you want!

They are both toys compared to my PC tho...

Nobina Nobina said:

Why can't you buy both?

I plan too.

You will have them for at least 6 years.

And they are both cheap this time around.

Play any exclusive game you want!

They are both toys compared to my PC tho...

Why the hell would you buy both consoles? Isn't one enough? Seems just like plain money wasting. Especially from my point of view. For the price of 2 consoles ($900) you can buy a gaming grade PC.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Brainwashed consumers. Not saying it is bad to want or get either console, but to so desperately need it that you need to camp out in the line up because it's so long, sad. With a little patience you will have one, you won't have to line up for it, and hopefully the early bugs will be worked out.

yorro said:

PS4 = US Only

XBox One = World Wide

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Wonder if it can match Sony's returned consoles too...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm just going to leave this here, because it's hilarious!

[link]

Anyway, this is kinda unfair, Microsoft launched worldwide, I'm pretty certain Sony will sell 3 million or more before the year is out once they launch worldwide. Just check the statistics online, everyone who votes "which console will you purchase" on pretty much every site it's 3-1 to Sony. Besides, neither console has a "must play" game on them yet and when it comes to cross platform games the PS4 (which incidentally, is the cheaper option) has the better ride. oooowwww Microsoft, what happened to you since the original Xbox I loved that system so much

TechGamer TechGamer said:

when will u realize the point that we are not here for console wars but just to get the facts out if u dont like it please mind all of us and dont post at all ty

TechGamer TechGamer said:

Why can't you buy both?

I plan too.

You will have them for at least 6 years.

And they are both cheap this time around.

Play any exclusive game you want!

They are both toys compared to my PC tho...

If only everyone had enough money to throw away that easy some people run on a tight budget

3 people like this | ikesmasher said:

Hes posting legitimate info. I don't understand why you people keep bugging him. Hes only bringing up the lack of reporting on xbox issues because the PS4 got torn up for its issues.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Headline is okay, but the launch markets of PS4 really need to be mentioned. :P

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Quite worrying to see scores of kids buying these machines and playing games that are mostly rated 18 plus.

Just a thought.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Why can't you buy both?

I plan too.

You will have them for at least 6 years.

And they are both cheap this time around.

Play any exclusive game you want!

They are both toys compared to my PC tho...

Are two HD 7970's enough? Is one GTX Titan enough? Enthusiasts can never have enough. Stop hatin'.

--------

The fact that MS had enough consoles to spread to continents other than this one should be praised, not questioned.

If you want to go there, the fact that Sony only released to North America is a let down for people overseas waiting to buy one, except now some of them bought an XB1 instead. Sony is the loser here.

Zoner1501 Zoner1501 said:

I'll leave this here.....

Xbox One "Sold Out at Most Retailers" But There Are Still Plenty Right in the Heart of New York, Including Day One Editions

Not even 24 hours after the North American launch of the Xbox One Microsoft sent a press release stating that "Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers," but that statement must not have included Toys"R"Us or Best Buy.

Just a walk across Times Square from the location of one of the console's big launch events to the local Toys"R"Us store, which happens to be the biggest store of the retail chain in the world, and also a very well known shopping outlet, would have confirmed that there are still plenty Xboxes to be had, as discovered by our valiant reporter Al Zamora, that went on reconnaissance today.

Talking with a store employee at the Time Square Toys"R"Us store we a learned that they have "easily a few hundred" units left. You can check a couple pictures below.

But we discovered something even more surprising by walking two avenues further, to the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy store in 5th avenue. There we were told that there are still "a lot" of units left for sale. This doesn't mean that the Xbox Didn't sell well, though, as the store was allocated 1500 units, and they have more stored in a truck.

The surprising part? When Al walked to the gaming aisle he was greeted by the sight of several rows of the sleek black-boxed Day One edition Xbox One units, as you can see below.

Update: the third picture below comes from the West Hollywood Best Buy in Los Angeles, for those on the west coast that might want one as well, courtesy of N4G user JuniorCE.

On the other hand, both stores reported having no PS4 units available for sale at all (even if they may be covertly stockpiling for Black Friday like Walmart is doing), but it's hard to make a direct comparison, as the Best Buy clerk told us that they received less PS4 units than Xbox One boxes.

That said, if you live in New York and want an Xbox One right away, now you know where to go, especially if you don't care much for green and want one of those lovely black Day One editions. You don't even need to hurry too much, as there's plenty left.

[link]

backo said:

Really don't understand how it's Microsoft's fault that Sony choose to launch only in North America. Also in what way does this change the fact that in 24h both systems sold ruffly the same number of units. If Sony this, if Sony that... the fact is that they didn't. Will the PS4 out sell X1 - I think so, but there is no need for hate. How a system sells is not reflation of your person and shouldn't be part of a person's self esteem. Just be happy it's not a one horse race, so that competition keeps MS and Sony in check.

ikesmasher said:

Because when PS4 DOES launch worldwide, it will sell many many more than the xbox one did, because they already matched sales.

I agree with the second half of your post though.

cmbjive said:

There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and numbers comparing a worldwide launch to that of a single market.

Xero07 said:

I agree with the second half of your post though.

Unless Microsoft gets a solid hold on those markets before Sony launches there.

ikesmasher said:

Unless Microsoft gets a solid hold on those markets before Sony launches there.

Fair enough. Although im pretty sure 95% of console gamers are fanboys to their respective companies at this point and refuse to budge.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Unless Microsoft gets a solid hold on those markets before Sony launches there.

You clearly haven't been on the internet for the last 6 months, welcome anyway, to the internet that is.

Now if you could just read the last 6 months worth of posts about both consoles you'll find that Microsoft doesn't have the best relationship with the rest of the world, America is where all it's features work, so yeah, Don't think Microsoft will be grabbing hold of the market in 2 weeks I'm afraid :/