Weekend Open Forum: What interesting gadgets are you thinking about getting for yourself/others this holiday season?

By on December 13, 2013, 6:30 PM
open forum, wof, roku, synology, weekend open forum, holiday, chromecast, gifts

With the holiday season just around the corner now, I find myself thinking about what gifts I'm going to be getting for friends and family already. It seems like Black Friday doesn't even get a chance to end before the December rush gets into full swing. I personally am looking to finally get a Chromecast and hopefully one of the 4-disk Synology NAS options. I'm currently looking at the new Roku 1, 2 and 3 for some close friends and family.

We have been posting our favorite gift items with this year's series of gift guides, so for this week's open forum we want to hear about your interesting and most anticipated gift ideas. Got any unique items or any obscure tech gadgets you're looking at that you haven't heard many people talking about? Let us know in the comments below.

wastedkill said:

Got myself a R.A.T 9 Mouse and a tecknet usb hub! think thats all for now xD

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I got a Bose Soundtouch 20 from my wife so we can take the speaker on short trips and whatnot. It doesn't work on battery and I'm still somewhat unsure if the connectivity it offers is ideal (Wi-Fi, Airplay and cable) vs. your standard dock speaker but audio quality sure is nice for a smallish speaker unit.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

No real gadgets I can think of, but I did just buy myself a pretty cool looking spaceship Christmas tree ornament.

NeurotechHD NeurotechHD said:

Got myself a R.A.T 9 Mouse and a tecknet usb hub! think thats all for now xD

Oh noooo! Did you already buy it? You should have gone with the Corsair Vengeance M60 or M65! It's hands-down the best mouse I've ever used or will probably ever use. I would campaign like Obama for this mouse.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm thinking about a Google Chromecast.

drjekelmrhyde said:

I just want Amazon or Newegg offer the Roku streaming stick for under $45

wastedkill said:

Well tbh I want a wireless mouse and the R.A.T 9 seemed the best bang for buck and yes I did but it was meant to come on friday(yesterday) as I got next day delivery on the day I ordered it but it still hasn't come... so I am hoping it will come today but once amazon opens their phone line I will be calling instantly lol

Hate it when orders dont come when they say they will specially when you pay for next day delivery lol

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Got myself a R.A.T 9 Mouse and a tecknet usb hub! think thats all for now xD

Mice are very personal and all about taste. I have a M65 which I threw into the drawer in favour of a Roccat Kone. That said I also have a R.A.T. 7 which I use with my laptop and like much more than the M65 but as I said, it's all about personal preference.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Nothing. I've got pretty much all I want or can afford.

2 people like this | jeffz6 said:

I purchased a Dell U3014 30in monitor. My wife was pissed. So was I when Ive seen what Dell have around the corner.

drfan said:

An AMD A-8 or A-10 laptop. Time to play some games in my Humble Bundle collection.

Got a Logitech f710 wireless gamepad for $35 to replace my old Rumblepad

Also a few small eBay indulgences such as a usb3 front panel adapter, wow

But... thinking of replacing my aging HP 5102 netbook (updated with SSD) with an Asus T100 now that they have come down to $500 in Oz

Didn't end up buying ANYTHING in the Steam sale as I either had it or didn't like the specials

Merry Fartmas to all!

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Got the new Macbook Pro 15", top-spec.

mGuy said:

I'm getting the LCDSysInfo for GOverlay, thanks to a TechSpot review letting me know it existed.