Petition for PC version of GTA 5 reaches 650,000 signatures

By on January 14, 2014, 4:00 PM
gta, pc, rockstar, gta 5, petition, mike julliard, dan houser

Ever since GTA V landed on consoles, a hungry PC community has been clamoring the opportunity to wreak havoc in the city of Los Santos. Unfortunately, three months have passed since Rockstar's record breaking title first hit store shelves and there is still no word on any PC developments. But gamers are hoping to speed up the process, thanks to a petition that surfaced back in 2012.

The petition to bring GTA V to PC was started by Mike Julliard after he noticed an interview with Rockstar's Dan Houser, in which he spoke about the possibility of bringing the open-world crime-fest to other outlets. Houser was quick to point out that Rockstar is a third-party developer, which gives them the freedom to decide when and where to launch. PC, Wii U, mobile, it doesn't matter where the market is as long as there's a market.

Shortly after gamers realized that a port wasn't coming to PC, the petition began to flood with signatures. By the time the title arrived on Xbox 360 and PS3, the formal request had already received over 500,000 signatures. Now three months later, it's up over the 650,000 mark. Gamers are hopeful to muster up 1 million signatures to present to Rockstar, but in my opinion the petition has already served its purpose.

It has shown developers that there is indeed a PC market for the release, and that they have a potential 650,000 customers waiting for their product. It's probably safe to assume that Rockstar will give PC gamers what they want, hopefully sometime in the near future. Whether or not they present them with a simple port, or a completely PC focused re-release, remains to be seen.

Joshw Joshw said:

At this point who cares.

0.00001 % or world

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

Out of those 650,000 how many would pirate it instead of buy? Maybe in their mind they didn't think it was worth the trouble due to piracy or such. Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming but you can't deny that piracy exists, and yes it does on console platforms too I am aware. But I myself have been in thread discussions on other forums where PC gamers openly admit to pirating PC games and have no shame in it. That is the problem. When you do that you are providing developers like Rockstar with a scapegoat, justified or not, for them to be able to say they won't release on PC.

2 people like this | ikesmasher said:

At this point who cares.

at least 650,000 people apparently.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They could make the game only available through Steam or similar gaming platform. Personally if it is not available through Steam, I'm not looking at it.

RH00D RH00D said:

So far every GTA that was released on PC, was available on Steam so I don't see why they wouldn't.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes but if it wasn't available outside a gaming platform, could it still be pirated?

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Steam games are pirated all the time if thats what you are asking.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

R* has to release it on or slightly before Heists finally come to Online. If they release it too long after, they risk making Online uninsteresting - which will lead to the game being pirated.

theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

My guess is they wanted to get the console versions out first (biggest money makers,) then work on the PC port/version. They probably started working on it as soon as it went gold for consoles. I hear they're also working on versions for XBO and PS4... since PC, XBO, and PS4 are all X86 it shouldn't be hard to make a PC version, and jump it to next gen. That's "probably" what they're doing.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Steam games are pirated all the time if thats what you are asking.
I wasn't aware that was an issue with gaming platforms. Guess it makes sense, if it wasn't an issue producers wouldn't be so hesitant to use the gaming platform.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I have this game for the xbox and I would definitely buy it again on the PC. I only bought it on the xbox because I heard the PC release wasn't coming. I remember how awesome the mods were for GTA IV. I can only imagine what the mod community would release.

IKROWNI said:

This would be great on pc. Just imagine popping a slew of high rez texture mods into enhancing the game play and really giving the console fan boys something to salivate to. Seeing what mods did to games like gta4 and skyrim and many others is one of the key features that helped my decision to jump ship from inferior consoles to the almighty gaming scene on pc. Perhaps they were just worried that if too many youtube vids popped up comparing modded gta5 vs consoles it would have caused a huge shift from console to pc. Cause I'm willing to bet a heavily modded gta5 on pc will look 300x better than any game coming to the ps4 or xbone.

3 people like this | Guest said:

at least 650,000 people apparently.

How do you know they are people and not cats?, there are a lot of cats on youtube, reddit and so the internet.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

What is this I don't even....

2 people like this | Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

What is this I don't even....

Guest is at it again...

4 people like this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

What is this I don't even....

Guest is at it again...

Guest Cat that is. They can never get enough attention, always reminding us that they too are on the Internet. Smug Bastards!

veLa veLa said:

The game has a fantastic online section that the PC community would love to mod.

EClyde EClyde said:

GTA are the only games I buy on release day. All others I wait till they are <$20 preferably <$10

hammer2085 said:

Micheal is so smug standing there in above image.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If it's just going to be another half-assed console port, they can keep it as far as I'm concerned. I wish they would make a proper pc version.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

650,000 butthurts more or less...

...and Rockstar will release it on PC anyway regardless of whether or not anyone signs a stupid petition... -_-

money said:

650k degenerates want to play a simulator of degenerates. seriously I don't even want to look at those main characters let alone play as them

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Why not? Are you disappointed none of the characters you play gets around to slitting the tooth fairy's throat, flays the skin off Santa Claus or turns Tinkerbell into a crack addicted ho? Me too. Hopefully this gets rectified in GTA VI

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

650,000 butthurts more or less...

Brilliant but It never hurts to sign the petition in just in case.

money said:

Why not?

Because they are disgusting filth of humanity? But you have fun torturing ppl with chainsaws and what not.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Personally I've never tortured anybody with a chainsaw (too crude for my liking, I much prefer a blowtorch) but I love it when my fictional playable character tortures and dismembers another fictional polygonal character.

ikesmasher said:

To be quite honest, Trevor is the only video game character who has ever disturbed me. and he disturbs me greatly....

If I could never play as him I would. Michael and Franklin missions are so much more fun and less

Make-you-feel-bad-about-yourself-ish.

emmzo said:

They'll release it... but just not yet. Building the hype is great marketing. Besides, they may still have some contractual obligations to Sony and M$ and now, with the console war raging, they could add some. Nevertheless, 650k petitioners and growing is a big number even if you'd assume more than half are going to pirate, it's still good multiplying that by 50 bucks.

JPSika08 JPSika08 said:

I totally agree.

distantreality said:

Just another corp losing money oh noes

Captain828 Captain828 said:

I presume they'll announce a PC version whenever they'll have a version for the Xbox One and PS4.

IAMTHESTIG said:

I am one of the 650,000... I have played all of the GTA's since 3 on the PC and loved all of them. I hope for a nicely done and stable PC port at a minimum.

EClyde EClyde said:

No he wants all the male characters to talk sweet, wear tight red pants and drink coffee while playing on their ipadpod

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah I feel like a lot of people will pirate it since the online feature is not as good as the single player.

gingerbill said:

I assume the fact the xbox one and PS4 are out will mean there will be a PC version , That's a large market. And the game is begging for 60FPS .

I've always found rockstar PC games are terrible on launch then great after some patches.

After that we need RDR 2 or Bully 2 , hopefully focused on new consoles and PC.

And people "shamelessly" pirate on consoles also. They don't go "aww man I feel so bad" they just do it because they can and don't have the money to spend.

Jason530 said:

There was a time, around san Andreas, when people still had PCs. Long time ago people.

ikesmasher said:

Right. So those 50+ million steam users are on their...ipads?

thewind said:

Building the hype is only good for an extent of time! Look at HL3! NO ONE talks about it hardly any more. Sure there are the die hards like me. But even I am losing hope/interest. You keep a person waiting to long the interest just goes away. Better games come out and you get involved with other things so you just don't care anymore.