Petition for PC version of GTA 5 reaches 650,000 signatures

Russ Boswell

Ever since GTA V landed on consoles, a hungry PC community has been clamoring the opportunity to wreak havoc in the city of Los Santos. Unfortunately, three months have passed since Rockstar's record breaking title first hit store shelves and there is still no word on any PC developments. But gamers are hoping to speed up the process, thanks to a petition that surfaced back in 2012.

The petition to bring GTA V to PC was started by Mike Julliard after he noticed an interview with Rockstar's Dan Houser, in which he spoke about the possibility of bringing the open-world crime-fest to other outlets. Houser was quick to point out that Rockstar is a third-party developer, which gives them the freedom to decide when and where to launch. PC, Wii U, mobile, it doesn't matter where the market is as long as there's a market.

Shortly after gamers realized that a port wasn't coming to PC, the petition began to flood with signatures. By the time the title arrived on Xbox 360 and PS3, the formal request had already received over 500,000 signatures. Now three months later, it's up over the 650,000 mark. Gamers are hopeful to muster up 1 million signatures to present to Rockstar, but in my opinion the petition has already served its purpose.

It has shown developers that there is indeed a PC market for the release, and that they have a potential 650,000 customers waiting for their product. It's probably safe to assume that Rockstar will give PC gamers what they want, hopefully sometime in the near future. Whether or not they present them with a simple port, or a completely PC focused re-release, remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Out of those 650,000 how many would pirate it instead of buy? Maybe in their mind they didn't think it was worth the trouble due to piracy or such. Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming but you can't deny that piracy exists, and yes it does on console platforms too I am aware. But I myself have been in thread discussions on other forums where PC gamers openly admit to pirating PC games and have no shame in it. That is the problem. When you do that you are providing developers like Rockstar with a scapegoat, justified or not, for them to be able to say they won't release on PC.

They could make the game only available through Steam or similar gaming platform. Personally if it is not available through Steam, I'm not looking at it.

They could make the game only available through Steam or similar gaming platform. Personally if it is not available through Steam, I'm not looking at it.
So far every GTA that was released on PC, was available on Steam so I don't see why they wouldn't.

R* has to release it on or slightly before Heists finally come to Online. If they release it too long after, they risk making Online uninsteresting - which will lead to the game being pirated.

My guess is they wanted to get the console versions out first (biggest money makers,) then work on the PC port/version. They probably started working on it as soon as it went gold for consoles. I hear they're also working on versions for XBO and PS4... since PC, XBO, and PS4 are all X86 it shouldn't be hard to make a PC version, and jump it to next gen. That's "probably" what they're doing.

I have this game for the xbox and I would definitely buy it again on the PC. I only bought it on the xbox because I heard the PC release wasn't coming. I remember how awesome the mods were for GTA IV. I can only imagine what the mod community would release.

This would be great on pc. Just imagine popping a slew of high rez texture mods into enhancing the game play and really giving the console fan boys something to salivate to. Seeing what mods did to games like gta4 and skyrim and many others is one of the key features that helped my decision to jump ship from inferior consoles to the almighty gaming scene on pc. Perhaps they were just worried that if too many youtube vids popped up comparing modded gta5 vs consoles it would have caused a huge shift from console to pc. Cause I'm willing to bet a heavily modded gta5 on pc will look 300x better than any game coming to the ps4 or xbone.

The game has a fantastic online section that the PC community would love to mod.

GTA are the only games I buy on release day. All others I wait till they are <$20 preferably <$10

If it's just going to be another half-assed console port, they can keep it as far as I'm concerned. I wish they would make a proper pc version.

650,000 butthurts more or less...

...and Rockstar will release it on PC anyway regardless of whether or not anyone signs a stupid petition... -_-

650k degenerates want to play a simulator of degenerates. seriously I don't even want to look at those main characters let alone play as them

650k degenerates want to play a simulator of degenerates. seriously I don't even want to look at those main characters let alone play as them
Why not? Are you disappointed none of the characters you play gets around to slitting the tooth fairy's throat, flays the skin off Santa Claus or turns Tinkerbell into a crack addicted ho? Me too. Hopefully this gets rectified in GTA VI

Back