Xbox One in 2014: March update, white console, maybe a cheaper model

By on January 30, 2014, 8:30 AM
microsoft, xbox, update, gaming console, xbox one

Microsoft has a big year planned for the Xbox One, starting in March where it will deliver the first major dashboard update, according to sources at The Verge and NeoGAF. The update is set to address issues with Xbox Live services on the console, with things such as party chat and social features said to be improved alongside regular system fixes.

Towards the end of the year, in October, it's rumored that Microsoft will launch a white version of the Xbox One to the public, as well as the special employee-only white edition. Prospective buyers might also have the option to purchase an Xbox One with a 1 TB hard drive inside in November.

Internally, Microsoft has been testing versions of the Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive, and it's rumored that this particular version may launch in 2014 as a lower-cost ($399) option to go head-to-head, price-wise, with the PlayStation 4. Around the time of the console's launch, Microsoft stated that the Kinect and TV-in features are integral parts of the Xbox One, so it does seem more likely that the Blu-ray drive will removed for any low-cost version.

Finally, it was reported that Microsoft will be releasing the Xbox One in new territories throughout the year. In April, Microsoft is said to launch the console in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina. In October, those in China, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Indonesia, and Egypt will finally have access to the One.

So their solution to releasing a cheaper model is to remove the one feature of the XBOne that people might actually want/use?

I feel the need for a *slow clap*

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Um...lowering the price to PS4 price by removing the blu ray drive is a stupid idea. Dont most of the install discs of games use blu ray?

ID still easily rather get a PS4.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A cheaper model that ties you down to digital purchase only doesn't do it for me. bluray players are 50quid nowadays so an internal bluray drive can't drop the price that much and relying on microsoft not to put a premium on digital titles isn't a bet I would like to make.

cmbjive said:

....

How about releasing the Xbox One without the danged Kinect that no one cares about?

Removing the blu-ray drive is just stupid.

2 people like this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Doesn't removing the Bluray drive severely cripple the idea of it being an all in one media solution in a box? It would be like Microsoft removing the start bar from Windows, oh wait, nvm... Carry on shooting yourself in the foot Microsoft, nothing to see here.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

It would be another choice, I don't see why you guys care (if you want an XB1 with bluray, don't get the model without it)... -_-

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

What I think people are saying is that there would be better ways of making a cheaper xbox1.

Like...one without kinect.

but god forbid that happens....

1 person liked this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd take the option without Kinect, oh wait, there isn't that option. If they want to cut price they should start there, you can always purchase a Kinect as an accessory where as with the Bluray drive, I'd be very surprised if you can add it on yourself at a later date.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Well its not set in stone this version will come out but honestly the deal is that all games available for the Xbox ONE are available for download as it is anyway. It would not be the version I would get (I already have one) but its a cost cut version for people who do not need the blu-ray drive (Since probably most people who are buying this already have a 30 dollar blu-ray drive anyway).

Removing the Kinect would not be a smart move in all honesty, whether or not you like it having it with every system means that developers will be more willing to actually program games/apps among other things to work on it. Doing this will mean that it will actually get support unlike the PlayStation eye which has so low of support no one is purchasing it except a few people who want to use the streaming feature.

I do not see the blu-ray drive option being removed an option for me, I hope they find a different solution to get the price down for others because I still see people wanting hard copies of their games (Like me).

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

No, you don't get it, Kinect is part of the standard hardware. It is no longer considered an optional accessory (to create a consistent experience for the customers). If you don't like that, don't get an XB1 and stop complaining about it!

You self entitled people piss me off...

ikesmasher said:

I dont want the xbox for anything but playing games! I cant think of a single game id play that I would use kinect in. you people consistantly quote microsoft in calling it a standard piece of hardware but its standard because microsoft called it standard, not because everyone actually use it consistantly!

Sure it would be a great accessory to have but there is no reason it is mandatory to use the xbox! the xbox could control just fine without it!

2 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

But there is a reason, it guarantees that Everyone has it so developers have no fear in a "Limited" base of people to develop for. On the Playstation Eye and the Old Kinect, the downside of making games for it was that there was not a guarantee that everyone has it because in order to have one of them, you first had to own a playstation or an xbox then purchase the accessory. Many examples in the past of failed add-ons were because of similar situations as this were nothing was guaranteed because the requirements for said add on meant having the console and then purchasing it separately (Sega CD/32X, Jaguar CD, Famicom Disk System, ETC). Doing this has said that any developer working on Xbox One games for Kinect will have the same market share of people as the people who make the standard Xbox One games meaning the same user base. It was a very smart move by Microsoft because it also means that we will start seeing more games for the Kinect that will have higher budgets and work significantly better (Including better Microsoft support).

Its not required to be used with the Console, but you at least have it in a box meaning you could use it (Or your using it for voice controls, streaming, etc) so a developer is willing to actually put some money into a game for it.

ikesmasher said:

You make a fair point in the sense that forcing everyone to have kinect means better kinect integration and games. Fantastic for the people that use it. But that doesnt change anything for the people who dont want to use kinect.

Yes. by making everyone have kinect, you are ensuring better integration. better games, and wider usage. But they are also losing customers to PS4 for people who A.) dont want a kinect simply because they wont use it, or B.) Wont pay for the price the kinect adds.

But hey, if xbox 1 wanted to sell for $400 without removing anything, I would hop right on board.

Again, I think the kinect is awesome. But id rather have a blueray drive, and I know im not alone on that. As of right now, im still getting a PS4 next gen eventually because I know I wont use a kinect, and I sure as heck wont pay the same price for a console without a bluray drive.

cmbjive said:

You self entitled people piss me off...

That's incorrect. MS is taking actions that make the Kinect more and more an optional accessory. For instance, it is in the process of issuing an update that will divert GPU power dedicated to the Kinect to provide a GPU boost for running games. It's not so much about being entitled, but that most gamers don't want Kinect.

cmbjive said:

Simply boxing a component with a system does not guarantee support for it. Think R.O.B. and Light Guns and the Wii U Gamepad.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Making things more efficient by taking unnecessary power from the Kinect does not mean they are distancing themselves from it.

And if you think that this machine is just marketed for gamers, then you're mistaken. Only an entitled "gamer" would think that the Kinect shouldn't be included because they (key word there) don't like it -_-

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

First of all, R.O.B was only in a Specific pack, he was not available in every version of the NES so his support died because of it (There were other reasons of course). It was only a special launch pack that also included the light guns which only had very specific uses. Later versions and packs did not have both with them and as it was both techs had only very specific uses for games to be used during an Era where side scrolling games dominated.

The Wii U game pad has plenty of support, the console itself is the problem of course but it can be used in its functions in many games.

The Kinect is more closely associated with the console expansion add-ons because they functionality it brings versus something like a "Light-Gun" or "R.O.B". The add-ons from the Late 80's and 90's almost all flopped whether or not they worked like a charm, were horrible, or were flat out genius because the market was overblown with already a console divide which you then mix in an add-on which requires owning the console so you have already narrowed your user base down to the people who already own your console.

Kinect being a part of the Xbox will not automatically make it successful, however putting it as a basic amenity with the console means that at least your user base owns the device. Since there are as many Kinect devices as console out there, developers can now take the next step and make games for it.

3 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"Internally, Microsoft has been testing versions of the Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive, and it's rumored that this particular version may launch in 2014 as a lower-cost ($399) option to go head-to-head, price-wise, with the PlayStation 4."

Thats funny! - They are going head to head with PS4 pricing, while the PS4 still has a BD drive.

Damn that seems logical! :rollseyes:

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You self entitled people piss me off...

No YOU don't get it, see I can do that too, any cross platform game does NOT, will NOT need to have the kinect, only a few exclusives will ever make it mandatory, and even those tittles will take in to account the Customer who is always right and make it an option because people have the fear of being watched. Are you suggesting that these people don't deserve to buy an Xbox1 and that they, the customer, are wrong? Or that they have to pay an extra $100 for something utterly useless to them? Thankfully there's a better solution, the PS4. You said I was self entitled, but what about yourself, your not seeing around your own bloated opinion, being you need to have a kinect because Microsoft said so, and it will allow for better integration in future tittles, right.

Xasrai said:

The above, combined with their backflip on the ability to turn off Kinect altogether, shows that it is not a necessary component of the console and that their aim was to push an unneeded component on to the consumer. One visit to the xbox website shows that "Games" is listed as it's own feature on the Xbone (and 360) whereas TV, music etc is lumped into a single "entertainment' category. Obviously someone over at M$ thinks the Xbone is a games console first, entertainment device second. If I have the option to turn it off, why can't I have the option to not buy it and save some money?

John Pombrio John Pombrio said:

And of course start unlocking that secret, hidden stacked chip in the APU. Unless they are AGAIN waiting for the next CES, release of info from AMD, or whatever...

m4a4 m4a4 said:

As I said, you don't get it. You still are self entitled, thinking it has to be your way with your "customer is always right" BS.

Ps. I don't have any next gen system because I don't "need to have a kinect" or care for the "most powerful" system. If I think it's worth my money, I'll buy one. Otherwise, I won't complain like a kid because it has 1 feature I don't want.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

It's too early in the XB1's lifecycle for me to care to answer that. Only a fool would try to predict what will happen when the system is months old. Give it a couple years before you prematurely decide that the Kinect is a gimmick that won't add a wanted element to gaming...

ikesmasher said:

Some people went way overboard.

No one in this thread should be complaining about kinect, as its sort of irrelevant. What some (including me) were doing was simply saying it would be better to remove kinect than the optical drive.

Especially since used games/really good sales are not present from the xbox marketplace

And yea, we all have different opinions. But as it says in GhostRyders sig,

"If you can't debate without resorting to insulting the other, then you lost."

In response to the reply you posted as I was typing mine, Kinect has had a couple of years. I can, however, see kinect being fantastic as things like the oculus rift and valve's VR keep pushing into the market.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Otherwise, I won't complain like a kid because it has 1 feature I don't want.
You might complain if that one feature could not be disabled and was keeping you from getting what you did want. Keeping the "It doesn't effect me" attitude, never helps in the grand scheme of things. Besides the customer(plural) is always right. The question is exactly which customers are willing to stand, for what they believe in. It doesn't look like you are.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This would be a good idea if you could buy game codes from retailers and only keep the game as long as you retain ownership of the code (it could be on a card in a DVD case from the retailer). Then you have your digital version and it can be traded second hand. And this xbox becomes a good idea. But it won't happen. It's a shit idea. Dropping the kinect to sell the low powered xbox with at least a bluray would work.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Some people went way overboard.

And yea, we all have different opinions. But as it says in GhostRyders sig,

"If you can't debate without resorting to insulting the other, then you lost."

Stating that you don't want the Kinect and would've bought the XB1 if you had the option of Kinect or not, is fine. Just an opinion. But it's when you feel entitled (I sure like repeating that, don't I?) and demand that they shouldn't have it (and never should have) is when I point it out (because it pisses me off).

And yeah, Kinect has had a couple of years, but as an optional accessory. Now it's a different story. It's the cheapest motion sensing, webcam, IR cam, mic there is :P and it does indeed have potential. But it needs more time to see if it's just a gimmick or not...

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

As I said, I would not complain like a kid.

gamoniac said:

Keep Kinect; removing it will undermine the whole idea. Keep BluRay if possible for game install, but I already have two Blu-ray players (and household has at least one).

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"...the Blu-ray drive will removed.." - How's that now? I don't understand what was said there in the article.

In any case, I'm all for lower cost. That would get me off the fence and buying an Xbox One. (if any are ever in stock at the game shops!) And I'd love to see a white version.

400 dollars ha ha make it 199 and we'll talk

The trouble with an all-digital XB1, is that I, as a consumer, want assurances that I'll have options for who to buy from. On the PC, I can get great deals on games, because Steam competes with Amazon PCDD, Gamefly, GOG, etc. I don't own an XB1 yet, but as an XBOX 360 owner, I don't like that the marketplace is solely Microsoft. There are "deals" sure, but no competition for my business. I have no leverage as a consumer.

cmbjive said:

Yes, it does mean they are beginning to distance themselves from Kinect. How is it possible that Kinect can operate efficiently if Microsoft is starting to divert resources from it to boost the XB1's core function which is playing games?

As for whether the machine is marketed for gamers, well, Microsoft learned that this lesson the hard way when its machine debuted last year. The system is for gamers first and foremost and most gamers never cared for Kinect. I'm pretty sure Microsoft has internal data which shows the amount of use for Kinect and slowly but surely coming around to the fact that no one really uses it.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

If the game doesn't use the Kinect, then why lock some power for it? It's for efficiency where the developer doesn't need Kinect -_-

It's marketed as an all-in-one gaming console, yes, but it's also marketed for people who would use it for media.

And go ahead and make your assumptions. I'm sure they are correct /endSarcasm

cmbjive said:

And go ahead and make your assumptions. I'm sure they are correct /endSarcasm

Your question is better suited for Microsoft. They're the ones contemplating moving power away from Kinect to the system itself.

Yes, it is being marketed as an all-in-one gaming console, but Microsoft has never adequately explained how Kinect fits into this model. Using motion controls and voice recognition that works half the time. And the machine can be used for media without the Kinect, but then that raises the other question: If this is being used for media why strip out any Blu-Ray functionality?

And making assumptions? This coming from a guy who says that gamers who don't want Kinect are acting "self entitled"? A little self-awareness please.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Kinect is as it always has been a "Party Device" with fun games designed to get you to move around and play with friends. The Voice recognition, facial recognition, and motion gestures work well and give the user the feeling of an advanced device with fun features in a device marketed as an "all in ONE". Whether or not you like it, the Kinect is part of the console for people to have a wide array of features and ability to do things without need of a controller. Your not required to use it of course, but its a nice device that works a little more than half the time id say (The facial recognition is spot on in any type of light and for me at least the voice recognition works on all but one command for me for more than 90% of the time, the hand gestures work but I never really use them). I won't defend the Kinect as being "The future of gaming" or even the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it deserves more credit than it is given in all honesty.

I know alot of people say just get rid of the Kinect as the old "I do not want it so it does not need to be there" argument is popular in that area. However if you want something to succeed like this, it has to be a basic amenity of the console otherwise it will never get the 3rd party support it needs no matter how good it is. I do agree with people on the whole removal of the blu-ray not being the best move to reduce cost in my book even though I like the idea of having the downloadable games be available more because its alot more simplistic and more money goes to the developers which is way it should be.

Prosercunus said:

I don't have an allegiance or a dog in the fight as I am primarily a PC gamer and can live without consoles.

Sony looks way more attractive at this point.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I'm just pissed they are going to release a 1TB model so early.. I wish they would've all came with 1TB on release.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why complain? At this rate there will be 2TB models by July. lol

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I think GhostRyder summed it up just nicely. You certainly aren't giving the Kinect enough credit.

And I said "gamers" who demand there to be no Kinect are self entitled. Be more aware of what was said next time...

cmbjive said:

Semantics; yours is still an assumption.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So instead you'll assume because you don't care about a feature that comes with a console you have no intention on buying that your right about what other people want? How in the hell can you call me self entitled, are you not aware of the meaning? Or as you already pointed out you merely love to throw around the word out of context.

No these are people who are hoping Microsoft listen to them, this is how Customer get things changed in their favor. Why you think this makes them self entitled...??? Your basically admitting that you've never been dissatisfied with something and in turn said something about it. However you will complain about people trying to stand up for what they believe in, because YOU can't understand their perspective of the problem, instead dismiss the issue as "Stop being so self entitled and knowing what you want" Clearly you've never worked customer service.

And that was the point I was originally trying to get across, why remove a useful feature like a Bluray drive when there's already an accessory that can easily be made optional in an effort to make a less expensive option when buying the Xbox One.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

I will say this one last time (because of your ignorance, and because I'll just assume you are trolling beyond this):

Stating that you do no like the Kinect and will not buy an XB1 because of it, is fine. It's your opinion. Saying that you and EVERYONE else hates the Kinect and it should be removed because of that, is annoying and makes you out to be self entitled (because you don't want it and you feel entitled to having it your way, as in no Kinect).

If I wanted to show my dissatisfaction in something that has positive merits, I wouldn't childishly hate on it.

Have I made myself clear enough for you? (take that as a rhetorical question. I don't care for a reply)

1 person liked this | Guest said:

They'll never drop kinect. They want developers to develop for it. The only way to do that is to show a large install base. Right now 100% of Xbox One consoles have Kinect

1 person liked this | Guest said:

"I would state my opinion, sure. But demanding the Kinect becomes optional is just.. childish.

The customer(plural) can be right, yes, but you can't be throwing that phrase around for BS reasons. And no, I don't believe in hating an unproven Kinect just because I haven't tried it, or am unwilling to see potential :p"

New guest here:

No, I won't go up to M$ HQ and hold a gun up to everyone and demand that they release a cheaper version of the XB1 without kinect and/or a blueray drive, however, I'm not paying $100-$200 for something I do not plan to use probably at all. I'm not the only one and quite honestly, developers have less to worry about when less people buy a console with the required specs to play their games. No one knows for sure how many sales are lost for this very reason but I imagine there probably is a significant market M$ COULD tap into, if it chose to. It personally wouldn't surprise me if M$ sold the xbone 1 without the kinect or blueray drive, which that alone can be cheaper than the ps4 as is, and made about 1.5 times the sales it has so far.

It's also obvious M$ is just trying to cram shit people don't even want down their throats especially when they fire certain special people on the xbox 1 team because of it. I don't blame them they do just want to make money after all, but there's a difference in being smart about and just hoping for the best. Quite honestly, they only way M$ could make a smart move out of this is to release the cheaper model without BOTH the blueray drive AND the Kinect a year or 2 after it's release making it cheaper than the ps4. They get the suckers (and the lesser few who actually want everything the xbox ships with) right out of the release for the first year or so and then wait a while to bring down the cost for everyone else.

I don't want a cheaper version of the wii + an xbox + a blueray player. I just want an xbox personally.