Xbox One in 2014: March update, white console, maybe a cheaper model

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has a big year planned for the Xbox One, starting in March where it will deliver the first major dashboard update, according to sources at The Verge and NeoGAF. The update is set to address issues with Xbox Live services on the console, with things such as party chat and social features said to be improved alongside regular system fixes.

Towards the end of the year, in October, it's rumored that Microsoft will launch a white version of the Xbox One to the public, as well as the special employee-only white edition. Prospective buyers might also have the option to purchase an Xbox One with a 1 TB hard drive inside in November.

Internally, Microsoft has been testing versions of the Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive, and it's rumored that this particular version may launch in 2014 as a lower-cost ($399) option to go head-to-head, price-wise, with the PlayStation 4. Around the time of the console's launch, Microsoft stated that the Kinect and TV-in features are integral parts of the Xbox One, so it does seem more likely that the Blu-ray drive will removed for any low-cost version.

Finally, it was reported that Microsoft will be releasing the Xbox One in new territories throughout the year. In April, Microsoft is said to launch the console in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina. In October, those in China, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Indonesia, and Egypt will finally have access to the One.

Permalink to story.

So their solution to releasing a cheaper model is to remove the one feature of the XBOne that people might actually want/use?
I feel the need for a *slow clap*

Um...lowering the price to PS4 price by removing the blu ray drive is a stupid idea. Dont most of the install discs of games use blu ray?
ID still easily rather get a PS4.

A cheaper model that ties you down to digital purchase only doesn't do it for me. bluray players are 50quid nowadays so an internal bluray drive can't drop the price that much and relying on microsoft not to put a premium on digital titles isn't a bet I would like to make.

How about releasing the Xbox One without the danged Kinect that no one cares about?

Removing the blu-ray drive is just stupid.

Last edited:
Doesn't removing the Bluray drive severely cripple the idea of it being an all in one media solution in a box? It would be like Microsoft removing the start bar from Windows, oh wait, nvm... Carry on shooting yourself in the foot Microsoft, nothing to see here.

Doesn't removing the Bluray drive severely cripple the idea of it being an all in one media solution in a box? It would be like Microsoft removing the start bar from Windows, oh wait, nvm... Carry on shooting yourself in the foot Microsoft, nothing to see here.
It would be another choice, I don't see why you guys care (if you want an XB1 with bluray, don't get the model without it)... -_-

What I think people are saying is that there would be better ways of making a cheaper xbox1.
Like...one without kinect.

but god forbid that happens....

It would be another choice, I don't see why you guys care (if you want an XB1 with bluray, don't get the model without it)... -_-

I'd take the option without Kinect, oh wait, there isn't that option. If they want to cut price they should start there, you can always purchase a Kinect as an accessory where as with the Bluray drive, I'd be very surprised if you can add it on yourself at a later date.

I'd take the option without Kinect, oh wait, there isn't that option. If they want to cut price they should start there, you can always purchase a Kinect as an accessory where as with the Bluray drive, I'd be very surprised if you can add it on yourself at a later date.
Well its not set in stone this version will come out but honestly the deal is that all games available for the Xbox ONE are available for download as it is anyway. It would not be the version I would get (I already have one) but its a cost cut version for people who do not need the blu-ray drive (Since probably most people who are buying this already have a 30 dollar blu-ray drive anyway).

Removing the Kinect would not be a smart move in all honesty, whether or not you like it having it with every system means that developers will be more willing to actually program games/apps among other things to work on it. Doing this will mean that it will actually get support unlike the PlayStation eye which has so low of support no one is purchasing it except a few people who want to use the streaming feature.

I do not see the blu-ray drive option being removed an option for me, I hope they find a different solution to get the price down for others because I still see people wanting hard copies of their games (Like me).

No, you don't get it, Kinect is part of the standard hardware. It is no longer considered an optional accessory (to create a consistent experience for the customers). If you don't like that, don't get an XB1 and stop complaining about it!
You self entitled people piss me off...

I dont want the xbox for anything but playing games! I cant think of a single game id play that I would use kinect in. you people consistantly quote microsoft in calling it a standard piece of hardware but its standard because microsoft called it standard, not because everyone actually use it consistantly!

Sure it would be a great accessory to have but there is no reason it is mandatory to use the xbox! the xbox could control just fine without it!

I dont want the xbox for anything but playing games! I cant think of a single game id play that I would use kinect in. you people consistantly quote microsoft in calling it a standard piece of hardware but its standard because microsoft called it standard, not because everyone actually use it consistantly!

Sure it would be a great accessory to have but there is no reason it is mandatory to use the xbox! the xbox could control just fine without it!

But there is a reason, it guarantees that Everyone has it so developers have no fear in a "Limited" base of people to develop for. On the Playstation Eye and the Old Kinect, the downside of making games for it was that there was not a guarantee that everyone has it because in order to have one of them, you first had to own a playstation or an xbox then purchase the accessory. Many examples in the past of failed add-ons were because of similar situations as this were nothing was guaranteed because the requirements for said add on meant having the console and then purchasing it separately (Sega CD/32X, Jaguar CD, Famicom Disk System, ETC). Doing this has said that any developer working on Xbox One games for Kinect will have the same market share of people as the people who make the standard Xbox One games meaning the same user base. It was a very smart move by Microsoft because it also means that we will start seeing more games for the Kinect that will have higher budgets and work significantly better (Including better Microsoft support).

Its not required to be used with the Console, but you at least have it in a box meaning you could use it (Or your using it for voice controls, streaming, etc) so a developer is willing to actually put some money into a game for it.

You make a fair point in the sense that forcing everyone to have kinect means better kinect integration and games. Fantastic for the people that use it. But that doesnt change anything for the people who dont want to use kinect.

Yes. by making everyone have kinect, you are ensuring better integration. better games, and wider usage. But they are also losing customers to PS4 for people who A.) dont want a kinect simply because they wont use it, or B.) Wont pay for the price the kinect adds.

But hey, if xbox 1 wanted to sell for $400 without removing anything, I would hop right on board.

Again, I think the kinect is awesome. But id rather have a blueray drive, and I know im not alone on that. As of right now, im still getting a PS4 next gen eventually because I know I wont use a kinect, and I sure as heck wont pay the same price for a console without a bluray drive.

No, you don't get it, Kinect is part of the standard hardware. It is no longer considered an optional accessory (to create a consistent experience for the customers). If you don't like that, don't get an XB1 and stop complaining about it!

That's incorrect. MS is taking actions that make the Kinect more and more an optional accessory. For instance, it is in the process of issuing an update that will divert GPU power dedicated to the Kinect to provide a GPU boost for running games. It's not so much about being entitled, but that most gamers don't want Kinect.

But there is a reason, it guarantees that Everyone has it so developers have no fear in a "Limited" base of people to develop for. On the Playstation Eye and the Old Kinect, the downside of making games for it was that there was not a guarantee that everyone has it because in order to have one of them, you first had to own a playstation or an xbox then purchase the accessory. Many examples in the past of failed add-ons were because of similar situations as this were nothing was guaranteed because the requirements for said add on meant having the console and then purchasing it separately (Sega CD/32X, Jaguar CD, Famicom Disk System, ETC). Doing this has said that any developer working on Xbox One games for Kinect will have the same market share of people as the people who make the standard Xbox One games meaning the same user base. It was a very smart move by Microsoft because it also means that we will start seeing more games for the Kinect that will have higher budgets and work significantly better (Including better Microsoft support).

Its not required to be used with the Console, but you at least have it in a box meaning you could use it (Or your using it for voice controls, streaming, etc) so a developer is willing to actually put some money into a game for it.

Simply boxing a component with a system does not guarantee support for it. Think R.O.B. and Light Guns and the Wii U Gamepad.

That's incorrect. MS is taking actions that make the Kinect more and more an optional accessory. For instance, it is in the process of issuing an update that will divert GPU power dedicated to the Kinect to provide a GPU boost for running games. It's not so much about being entitled, but that most gamers don't want Kinect.
Making things more efficient by taking unnecessary power from the Kinect does not mean they are distancing themselves from it.
And if you think that this machine is just marketed for gamers, then you're mistaken. Only an entitled "gamer" would think that the Kinect shouldn't be included because they (key word there) don't like it -_-

Simply boxing a component with a system does not guarantee support for it. Think R.O.B. and Light Guns and the Wii U Gamepad.
First of all, R.O.B was only in a Specific pack, he was not available in every version of the NES so his support died because of it (There were other reasons of course). It was only a special launch pack that also included the light guns which only had very specific uses. Later versions and packs did not have both with them and as it was both techs had only very specific uses for games to be used during an Era where side scrolling games dominated.

The Wii U game pad has plenty of support, the console itself is the problem of course but it can be used in its functions in many games.

The Kinect is more closely associated with the console expansion add-ons because they functionality it brings versus something like a "Light-Gun" or "R.O.B". The add-ons from the Late 80's and 90's almost all flopped whether or not they worked like a charm, were horrible, or were flat out genius because the market was overblown with already a console divide which you then mix in an add-on which requires owning the console so you have already narrowed your user base down to the people who already own your console.

Kinect being a part of the Xbox will not automatically make it successful, however putting it as a basic amenity with the console means that at least your user base owns the device. Since there are as many Kinect devices as console out there, developers can now take the next step and make games for it.

"Internally, Microsoft has been testing versions of the Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive, and it's rumored that this particular version may launch in 2014 as a lower-cost ($399) option to go head-to-head, price-wise, with the PlayStation 4."

Thats funny! - They are going head to head with PS4 pricing, while the PS4 still has a BD drive.

Damn that seems logical! :rollseyes:

No YOU don't get it, see I can do that too, any cross platform game does NOT, will NOT need to have the kinect, only a few exclusives will ever make it mandatory, and even those tittles will take in to account the Customer who is always right and make it an option because people have the fear of being watched. Are you suggesting that these people don't deserve to buy an Xbox1 and that they, the customer, are wrong? Or that they have to pay an extra $100 for something utterly useless to them? Thankfully there's a better solution, the PS4. You said I was self entitled, but what about yourself, your not seeing around your own bloated opinion, being you need to have a kinect because Microsoft said so, and it will allow for better integration in future tittles, right.

Making things more efficient by taking unnecessary power from the Kinect does not mean they are distancing themselves from it.
And if you think that this machine is just marketed for gamers, then you're mistaken. Only an entitled "gamer" would think that the Kinect shouldn't be included because they (key word there) don't like it -_-

The above, combined with their backflip on the ability to turn off Kinect altogether, shows that it is not a necessary component of the console and that their aim was to push an unneeded component on to the consumer. One visit to the xbox website shows that "Games" is listed as it's own feature on the Xbone (and 360) whereas TV, music etc is lumped into a single "entertainment' category. Obviously someone over at M$ thinks the Xbone is a games console first, entertainment device second. If I have the option to turn it off, why can't I have the option to not buy it and save some money?

And of course start unlocking that secret, hidden stacked chip in the APU. Unless they are AGAIN waiting for the next CES, release of info from AMD, or whatever...

No YOU don't get it, see I can do that too, any cross platform game does NOT, will NOT need to have the kinect, only a few exclusives will ever make it mandatory, and even those tittles will take in to account the Customer who is always right and make it an option because people have the fear of being watched. Are you suggesting that these people don't deserve to buy an Xbox1 and that they, the customer, are wrong? Or that they have to pay an extra $100 for something utterly useless to them? Thankfully there's a better solution, the PS4. You said I was self entitled, but what about yourself, your not seeing around your own bloated opinion, being you need to have a kinect because Microsoft said so, and it will allow for better integration in future tittles, right.
As I said, you don't get it. You still are self entitled, thinking it has to be your way with your "customer is always right" BS.
Ps. I don't have any next gen system because I don't "need to have a kinect" or care for the "most powerful" system. If I think it's worth my money, I'll buy one. Otherwise, I won't complain like a kid because it has 1 feature I don't want.

The above, combined with their backflip on the ability to turn off Kinect altogether, shows that it is not a necessary component of the console and that their aim was to push an unneeded component on to the consumer. One visit to the xbox website shows that "Games" is listed as it's own feature on the Xbone (and 360) whereas TV, music etc is lumped into a single "entertainment' category. Obviously someone over at M$ thinks the Xbone is a games console first, entertainment device second. If I have the option to turn it off, why can't I have the option to not buy it and save some money?
It's too early in the XB1's lifecycle for me to care to answer that. Only a fool would try to predict what will happen when the system is months old. Give it a couple years before you prematurely decide that the Kinect is a gimmick that won't add a wanted element to gaming...

As I said, you don't get it. You still are self entitled, thinking it has to be your way with your "customer is always right" BS.
Ps. I don't have any next gen system because I don't "need to have a kinect" or care for the "most powerful" system. If I think it's worth my money, I'll buy one. Otherwise, I won't complain like a kid because it has 1 feature I don't want.
Some people went way overboard.
No one in this thread should be complaining about kinect, as its sort of irrelevant. What some (including me) were doing was simply saying it would be better to remove kinect than the optical drive.
Especially since used games/really good sales are not present from the xbox marketplace

And yea, we all have different opinions. But as it says in GhostRyders sig,
"If you can't debate without resorting to insulting the other, then you lost."

In response to the reply you posted as I was typing mine, Kinect has had a couple of years. I can, however, see kinect being fantastic as things like the oculus rift and valve's VR keep pushing into the market.

Back