Valve brings in-game music playback and control to SteamOS and Big Picture mode

By on February 4, 2014, 9:15 AM
valve, music, steam, big picture, steamos, steam music

Playing your favorite game on Steam while listening to your favorite tunes in the background will soon be much more convenient. That’s because Valve is now beta testing a new feature called Steam Music that brings your audio collection right into the Big Picture / SteamOS interface.

At present, one is forced to play music in a separate application (or on a separate device completely) when using Steam. That can be a pain as you may need to switch windows quite often to keep your favorite music queued up and more often than not, full screen games really aren’t a fan of alt-tab.

It’s even more difficult with Big Picture as most desktop music apps use small fonts and equally small buttons for navigation.

But with Steam Music, tunes are now at your fingertips right in the Big Picture / SteamOS interface. Simply tell the app where your music is stored and it’ll build a library complete with album art. Managing the music in-game is also a breeze as the controls have been integrated onto the same overlay used to monitor achievements and keep track of friends – or in other words, you don’t have to leave the game to do so.

The service is being rolled out in waves to those that have opted-in to test it. Interested parties can opt-in by visiting the Steam Music group. Unfortunately the feature is only available for Big Picture / SteamOS as of writing but Valve promises it will be coming to the desktop in the not-too-distant future.

Next is on the pipeline should be Steam Video with hardware acceleration. The music feature will be good but the ability to watch movies will take it to another level. If you can buy the movies from Steam as well that would be really cool.

I just love the PC platform.

Next on the pipeline should be Steam Video with hardware acceleration. The music feature will be good but the ability to watch movies will take it to another level. If you can buy the movies from Steam as well that would be really cool.

I just love the PC platform.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Would like to to see integration with Spotify/Pandora/Apple Radio

3 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Steamflix
Is it just me or does that have a perversion ring to it? Probably just me, maybe I should have kept quiet. lol

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sweet, so Steam OS can now do two things at once, excellent, at this rate maybe it will give windows a run for it's money in two to three years. Wasn't aware in-game music playback was a big deal, guess I'm just used to Alt-Tabing or using my hotkeys to change tracks ect.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

@ Admuz: Actually you can run thousands of Linux applications since it is based on Debian. Which means you will be able to do everything on it that you can do on Windows. Apart from running exclusive software (without a Windows emulator), like Photoshop, Visual Studio, etc... of course there are alternatives, but they don't all match up to their Windows counterparts. Luckily with a company like Valve behind Steam OS, there will be more and more companies supporting Linux.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Gosh. I've only been desiring to have a feature like this on the Playstation and Xbox... now that I game on the PC I dont need it. Steam comes up with it and it's a big deal? Lol... this is a joke right?

As if I couldnt play my own music while playing PC games already.... now Steam adds a feature for it? Useless unless utilized in multiple ways.

I guess some people just want a fancy GUI interface to browse through their music.