Buy a one-year Xbox Music Pass, get a Nokia Lumia 520 / 521 for free

By on February 4, 2014, 3:45 PM

If you love music and just happen to be in the market for a new smartphone, Microsoft has a deal that you might be interested in. Through February 17, the Redmond-based company is offering a contract-free AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 or T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 to anyone that buys a one-year Xbox Music Pass.

A 12-month Xbox Music Pass will set you back $99 while a Lumia 520 or 521 would cost around $120 off-contract so paying less than $100 for the package is certainly a solid deal. At that price point, the phones naturally aren’t the fastest on the market but that doesn’t mean they aren’t successful. Combined, they’re the best selling Windows devices worldwide.

In the event you don’t really need a new smartphone, there are several other options for the handset. Either would make an excellent backup / emergency cellular, a great phone for a teenager, a solid standalone music player or at the very least, one could sell the handset and essentially get a free year of Xbox Music for the effort.

Microsoft launched Xbox Music in October 2012 as the successor to the company’s Zune line of products. The service offers ad-supported streaming, subscription streaming and song purchases through the Xbox Music Store. Contrary to its name, the service can be accessed via Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8, Android and iOS in addition to the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It would be tempting if it didn't have the colored squares!

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I got this 520 off Amazon for $59.99 FS. Since Microsoft Store Online lost the my order and I also lost that deal for $59.99 and skydrive deal for 20GB for free for 1 year. 520 is with AT&T network. I see nothing wrong with using Windows 8 Phone. Setup with a new account and phone number too less than 10 mins. Less than 5 mins. All done online. AT&T Wireless works better in my area than does T-Mobile doesn't do rural area that good so I wasn't going back to them again. Thus they offer 521 same as 520 except for the back panel is white and while 520 is black.

Tiles are only the apps you can resize them. I kind like it better than using the Android Smartphone from Motorola. Droid as they call it.

The colored tiles can be changed to all different colors. I have a 928 and love it.

1 person liked this | Randomthom Randomthom said:

Yet another US only deal... sigh

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Hmmm, interesting. Thinking seriously about picking this up to use as a wifi only device.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I wouldn't mind having the 520/1 as a backup phone but I'm certainly not interested in buying a XB music pass so I'll pass.