Network "connected", router ping successful but no Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 laptops and a desktop on my home network, all plugged into the router. The 2 laptops connect to the network and internet. The desktop shows "connected", is able to ping the router but cannot connect to the internet.

All are using XP home sp2. The desktop was just introduced to the existing laptop network. I have swapped the router, cable, and ethernet card for grins (i am tech enough to have had some of each laying around). Clearly it's a settings problem.

Dynamic IP address.
/ipconfig indicates same gateway as laptops. ("192.168.0.1")
Worked perfectly on a previous network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am at my wits end.

What happens when connected directly to the modem?
Note: you may need to do a release then a renew to test this
You can run inetwiz as well

If that works, it must be a router or network cable issue

Otherwise try this:

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment
attach.gif
here

It would be nice to get the same on one that works as well for comparison.

In Local Area connection confirm Client for MS networks and File and printer sharing are there and enabled.

Turn off Firewall to eliminate it as an issue.

In Services confirm Computer Browser, Server and Workstation are all set to Automatic and are started.

Mike

Well "as many tools as possible" can get users into strife
Many users tend to download the strangest of malware removal tools
Even Spybots S & D can be counter productive, as it halts any change that support may suggest.

Not only that but we are in the Storage & Networking forum, and we are eliminating and going through a sequential process, the Ipconfig attachment being favored

If by chance the member does want to confirm Virus\Malware is not the issue
This is the only direction and thread I would ever point to, at TechSpot
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

It is definitely not a malware problem. I run AVG Pro and Norton 360, both of which currently have their firewalls disabled for troubleshooting (Windows Firewall is off too).

My router has the modem built into it (ActionTec GT704-WG), so direct plugging into it is the only option.

I'll double-check what mflynn said and post my ipconfig log file within the hour.

Thanks again guys.

That is a definite no no! You should never have more than 1 Anti-Virus program installed at a time, this may be causing the problem. It is strongly advised that you get rid of one.

oh ok

That is a definite no no! You should never have more than 1 Anti-Virus program installed at a time, this may be causing the problem. It is strongly advised that you get rid of one.

Alright. I'll uninstall one right now and see if that helps. I had both active on my last network and it was working fine, but I'll try anything at this point. I scraped the bottom of the idea barrel a while back.

In the meantime, here are the ipconfig log files of the desktop that doesn't work and the laptop I am currently typing on, on the same network, that does work.

Also, mflynn all of the stuff you mentioned is active and automatic.

Attachments

• desktop ipconfig - not working.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 9
I am now running only AVG (firewall still off). I restarted my computer and am still unable to connect to the internet.

I am entirely baffled as to how to proceed. As I stated before, I swapped out all involved hardware components. There are other working computers on the network, and my computer used to work just fine on my old network. By all accounts, I should be surfing the web with ease. =/

the only thing strange is the DNS Suffix = tyler
Normally this would be your ISP domain, eg mine is socal.rr.com

well there's another; the two DNS addresses
one is your router and the other (appears to be) your ISP DNS.
normally they are in the same subnet (ie your ISP OR your router)

try manual config for your DNS addresses (you're on sbcglobal.net)

I agree with Joe.

I preferr to put in the real ISP DNS Primary and secondary other than leave it to router DHCP.

Mike

If that still fails to help, please do the following

Uninstall AVG fully (Note: disabling\removing the Startup entries is not enough)
Uninstall Norton fully (Note: disabling\removing the Startup entries is not enough)

Just to really confirm that, Un-install both fully

Next download both these tools (on your Internet accessed computer) save them to flash drive (or CD)

Norton Removal Tool
AVG Remover Tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

I am also going to directly quote AVG from this link: http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?13,121087,backpage=,sv=
It is never recommended by anyone that knows what they are talking about to run two or more active antivirus programs at the same time. The active components will conflict with each other. Generally you won't see the effects of the conflict but you will make both programs less effective none the less. Choose one antivirus program and uninstall the other one.

Please note:
  • We are presently getting you back online
  • All steps above must be completed
  • There may be up to 4 Restarts, involved

At last, (once all of the above is precisely completed) Try going on the Internet (without Antivirus! or firewall)

If it still does not go online, you may need to run WinsockFix one last time
Then restart
Then go online

If it works (which I believe it will ;) )
Try Free Antivirus like Avira
Download. Update. Scan

Please let me know the results :)

Firstly, thank you everyone for your help so far. Now both AVG and Norton are completely removed. Still no luck.

How do I manually enter my DNS to what jobeard suggested?

Start -> Run -> ncpa.cpl -> ok
Right click on your Network Connection
Click on Properties
Double click on TCP/IP

Select: "use the following DNS server address"
try manual config for your DNS addresses (you're on sbcglobal.net)
Type the above numbers in each field
Apply OK

Then...
Start -> Run -> CMD -> ok
On the command line type:
IPConfig /release then press enter
IPConfig /renew then press enter
Exit then press enter

Then...
Start -> Run -> inetwiz -> ok
Select Lan
Follow the prompts

Try Internet again :)

Edit:
Just saw you posted above

I just did all that except inetwiz. I'll do that now.

Thanks. You're quick. =)

No luck after running inetwiz.

Oddly, when I /ipconfig it still shows "tyler" under the "DNS suffix" line instead of the one i put in manually. I triple checked that I did it right though, and the ipconfig was after a reboot.

I did all the instructions you listed on that page and only got a timeout (the message showed after 2 seconds) on the last line "nslookup www.google.com".

edit: just clarifying, i did try the browser after, still to no avail.

this tells you that
  1. the DNS address is wrong
  2. the gateway address is wrong
  3. there is no connection to the ISP
(assuming that ipconfig /all has good IP addresses in the reply)

try ping google by its address
ping 74.125.19.47​
if this works, the (2-3) are not the issue and you only have an access issue with the DNS

The ping was successful!

edit: Since it still cannot access the DNS server even when the address is put in manually, why else might I not be able to connect?

So I know that my computer is unable to access the DNS server correctly. I have tried manually entering the DNS address and i've tried the automatic configuration. Is there any other reason why I wouldn't be able to access it?

Also, let me reiterate my thanks to everyone so far. This has been a long process and I think it's safe to say at this point that if someone is able to fix this, they are truly skilled.

search this site for the 8 step removal process.
There must be something on your system which is hijacking the DNS settings or access.

I am following the steps listed in the link you sent and will post the results as soon as it is complete. I must admit I am a bit skeptical though. Until I began the troubleshooting process (and thus removed them), I had the complete versions of Norton 360 and AVG on my computer, as well as AdAware and an anti spyware utility (the name of which escapes me now). I also am very intelligent about online downloadable content.

Regardless, I have been unable to fix this in ages, so i'll give it a shot.

Thanks for sticking with me J. O. Beard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back