1024x768 Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindObject

For some reason, I can't get my Ubuntu computer to have the resolution of 1024*768

It's old, but it can easily display Windows 98 or Puppy at 1024*768.

System:

P2 400mhz
FSB 100Mhz
320MB RAM

And...I have no idea what kind of video card it has.

I tried a code at the Ubuntu Comunity...but that really messed up everything and I had to reinstall it all over...

Is there a proper way I can manage to display Ubuntu at 1024-768??

If the graphics card is very old, it may not have enough video memory for that resolution, at least with 24-bit colors. Have you tried changing the color depth to 16-bit?

The following typed in Terminal should tell which graphics chip / card it has:

/sbin/lspci | grep VGA

Didnt work. Is the "|" really suppost to go there?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Yes, the pipe character redirects the output from lspci command to grep, which extracts only the line with "VGA" string.

Maybe Ubuntu has lspci somewhere else - or doesn't have at all, I guess someone using it could comment...

Try simply lspci | grep VGA
I don't think you need the /sbin/ before the lspci.
You might need to have it run as root, such as sudo -u root lspci | grep VGA, and it may prompt you for a password.

This may not work, as I just started running Ubuntu, but hopefully it does.

Regards :)

kitty500cat said:
Try simply lspci | grep VGA
I don't think you need the /sbin/ before the lspci.
You might need to have it run as root, such as sudo -u root lspci | grep VGA, and it may prompt you for a password.

This may not work, as I just started running Ubuntu, but hopefully it does.

Regards :)

Okay, so that works, what's next?

This is what I got:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back