16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error message on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhasdell

I'm running Windows 2000 and get the following error message on startup:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\WINNT\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The computer then tries to reinstall Microsoft Office from CD.
I've found and deleted Msblast and Mslaugh viruses.
Would uninstalling MsOffice from the Add/Delete Programs in Control Panel cure it? Please help!

I would 1st read up on the two virus's that you were infected with and read up on the bulletin for each virus and make sure it's fully removed from your system. Norton's web site is very good for this.

I would completely remove Microsoft Office from your system. Then run windows update and get all of the most current Service Pack / Patches. Reason for this is I think Blaster fixed with a patch (where windows was no longer affected by it?)

Then re-install MS Office, and run officeupdate.

Making progress

Thank you. I've used a combination of virus checkers etc including Zone Alarm, AVG, Yahoo Anti-Spy and EasyClean to get rid of a variety of nasties. At one stage the message in my original post was replaced by one about a registry entry about VirtualDeviceDrivers.VDD being invalid, and for a while it tried to open up Internet Explorer on startup going to a site which it couldn't find. However, all of this seems to have been cured now, and uninstalling MS Office has stopped it trying to install it on startup, so at the moment I can start the computer without ant strange messages and get onto the internet.
Thanks again for the quick reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back