169.254 IP address (even after reformat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this...

I recently had trouble with my computer and reformatted and then had no audio, so I posted my specs on the site in hopes of finding a driver for my audio card.

I was helped almost immediately and got my audio working in no time.

Shortly after that I restarted my computer and had my Network Connection try to "Aquiring IP address'. I tried a clean reformat again after fiddling with it for hours, and finally found out I had a static Ip that could not be released or renewed, no matter how hard I tried.

After reformat I had blank entries and tried the ipconfig /renew command and was met with the 169.254 address again even after a clean start. Also met with the unable to contact DCHP server, Request timed out.

My Cisco teacher informed me that I probably just needed a driver for the mother board, I was wondering if anyone could help me find the correct driver for the onboard NIC; which might solve the issue!

My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
Motherboard: (No manufactuerer given) Model P4X400-8234 (SOYO Dragon Motherboard)
Chipset: VIA PT800 (VT8754) Rev 03
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ver. 6.00 PG
1.28 gigs of RAM
160 gig of HDD space
Running Windows XP Professional Edition
Clean format as of today!

Sorry to double post but I want to thank the forum and all the great members in advance for their speedy responses, great help and genuinely nice people.

Thank you, and I hope someone can help!

P.S. Also checked the Intel site for any drivers, but could not find any

A 169.254.. etc IP is a clear sign that windows can not find an IP from DHCP or anywhere else.

When plugging and unplugging the network cable from back of computer do you have lights going on and off both on computer and Modem or router? No lights no connection. Normally Green light=100Mb Amber=10mb and Red is error or no connection

Are you using a Router or connecting directly to a Cable/DSL modem.

If using a Router do you have another computer that works?

Mike

A 169.254.. etc IP is a clear sign that windows can not find an IP from DHCP or anywhere else.

When plugging and unplugging the network cable from back of computer do you have lights going on and off both on computer and Modem or router? No lights no connection. Normally Green light=100Mb Amber=10mb and Red is error or no connection

Are you using a Router or connecting directly to a Cable/DSL modem.

If using a Router do you have another computer that works?

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.. I have a green flicker on all ends of the physical spectrum.. I am using a Router and I do have another computer that does work, but I am borrowing a laptop right now that is using the connection of the dysfunctional computer, so I know its physical but has nothing to do with wiring or routing..

I also tried installing an ethernet controller on a PCI slot today to no avail, it just keeps saying its disconnected so I will try fiddlling with that.

Hope I provided enough info! thanks in advnace

OK on the computer that works do the below!

Left Drag mouse and Copy for Pasting all text in the box below.
Make sure the slider bar goes to bottom from the @ to the end of the second exit.
Then paste to the black screen of an open command prompt.

Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /all >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\ipconfig.txt
exit
exit

Post the ipconfig.txt now on Desktop back to us.This will tell us how the router is set up.

Mike

OK on the computer that works do the below!

Left Drag mouse and Copy for Pasting all text in the box below.
Make sure the slider bar goes to bottom from the @ to the end of the second exit.
Then paste to the black screen of an open command prompt.

Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /all >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\ipconfig.txt
exit
exit

Post the ipconfig.txt now on Desktop back to us.This will tell us how the router is set up.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I installed the PCI adapter and it wouldnt connect but once I uninstalled it my regular internet worked for some reason...

It gave me a "Windows Error" however stating I was using the same IP address as another computer on the network.... I was too scared to ipconfig /renew and lose connection so I have left it alone for now...

connectionx.jpg

The Internet Gateway popped up once I got the error and I have seen it before but I don't know if I am taking bandwidth away from the other computer or if the usage is connected via router to both computers. I am scared to openly surf the web since the other computer is work related and I don't want any questionable sites being up on display!

Your pic is showing a Via compatable ethernet connector. Why don't you go here and download the lan driver for that board. It's a Realtek. I don't know if you have the light or platinum edition for that board, but they both use the same controller.

Edit: Then again if it's working maybe you shouldn't! Lol

Also the following to test things out:
1) Power cycle your router
2) Are you sure your router is set to be a DHCP server? Or are your other computers perhap being assigned static IP addresses in the first place?
3) Have you ever set MAC address restrictions/static IP assignments on your router? You sure it's not set to deny access to that computer? Or reassign specific IP addresses based on MAC addresses?
4) Connect your computer directly to your ISP (i.e. bypass the router)
=> If it doesn't work at first, remove any wire to your ISP modem, power the modem down as well and leave it disconnected/powered down for like 15 minutes
=> Then connect your computer directly to ISP and try again

add some rules to your Firewall to ensure it is not blocking by mistake
allow in/out tcp/udp src:any dest:any ports 67-68​
Don't assume that because the FW is not active that all filtering is disabled;
MANY have fallen into that trap :(

disconnect the rj45; boot the system and login.
THEN attach the RJ45 and let the system seek out the DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back