16x9 Playback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJay420

I have a lot of movies ripped to my pc and I'm wondering how can I play them fullscreen with the 16x9 aspect ratio in Windows Media Player. Is this even possible? My monitor is a 27in. 1024x768 by the way.

first of all a screen res with 1024x768 doesn't sound like 16x9 or 16x10 to me?
anyway to play movies full screen in 16x9 they need to be ripped in a 16x9 matching res. (ie 600x337) if you have a movie with a not matching res (ie 616x267 would be 21x9) you will have black stripes above and below the picture. so its not really a setting that can be forced. some video players can force this but in this case you will lose some of the picture at the sides...

hope this explains something

I fully understand all of this but when I use DVDPlay to watch movies it has settings for 4:3 and 16:9 and when I change it the black borders go away. I was just wondering if Windows Media Player had a feature like this hidden some where in the application but I guess not... Thanks.

yes, this is what I said before. you will get rid of the black borders but you will miss some picture at the sides. some player have that switch built in. media player, if I remember correct checks what screen res you selected in your display properties. if it is no 16x10 (for computers) then it will display 4:3 like.

it is for dvd movies you can buy most of them in 4:3 version and 16:9 version. many have both video tracks and you can select it from the menu. but its always the same... bringing 4:3 movie in 16:9 works like zooming it to fit 16;9 and vice versa. well if you have 16:9 tv then you should also buy 16:9 computer or connect your computer to the tv. picture is great on lcd tv :)

Yea thats exactly what I did.. I bought huge 27 inch LCD cuz I needed a monitor and a TV. It has a great picture only thing I didnt know what that I needed that $50 VGA cable but it was worth it.

It's set as 1024x768 but I dont think Windows Media Player's fullscreen shows the 16:9 ratio. Then again it might just be the video rip. I have only one movie that fills my entire screen. WMP really needs a 16:9 setting instead of automatically using the default for videos and not allowing users to change it.

the mp thing seems to be like this... sad but true.
one question about your lcd. doesn't it support other modi?
I can't imagine a 27" screen with a res of 1024x768. it is a widescreen lcd, isn't it?
can you set it to lets say 1280x800 and test mp with that setup?

In display settings the highest resolution I can get is 1024x768 and I was led to believe it was widescreen (at least that's what walmart said). Maybe this is why I dont see 27inch widescreen lcd's anymore, only 26 and 32. How would I go about changing the resolution?

thats what I do not get here. when I attached my windows xp mce pc to the lcd I just bought a dvi-hdmi adapter and did chose 16x9 in media center. thats it. you were talking about a $50 cable. what kind of cable is it?
and what kind of lcd is it. I mean what make and model?

Well I dont have media center, just a HP Slimline running Vista basic (didnt really care for the waste of space that is aero). The monitor is an "el cheapo" ilo brand (Just needed a TV and a monitor no fancy stuff). And I connected them using a VGA cable (yes that was $50).

not sure but you could check in advanced properties of the video card whether you can change the monitor type to tv or wide screem tv or lcd or something like this!?
but probably this settings is all the lcd can manage and that would mean its more a tv screen than I computer screen...

can you give me a link or something to the vga cable? or is it just vga to vga? but then it was way too expensive

You could try using a different media player, like the Media Player Classic which comes with the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. It has an option to allow you to force the 16:9 aspect ratio.

If your 27" is a widescreen TV, then you shouldn' tbe running it at 1024x768. It should be 13something by 7something. Which will then make your 16x9 movies fit the full screen. 1366x768 I think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back