2 windows XP legal questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beautiful, loving wife accidentally threw out the papers that came with my New Windows XP sp2 disk (thank god I saved the Key!) and I was wondering if it was legal to do 2 things-

1: I plan on building another computer for my own personal use at home and want to know if its legal to use that XP disk for the one I am about to build

2: My brother's computer is messed up and he has no recovery disk and there is no"restore" feature built in to it, so can I use my XP disk to do a repair to his computer? He is having problems with "missing wininet.dll" errors and I think all i have to do is copy them from the disk into the dllcache folder.... i think. so Is that legal?

I just want to stay on the correct side of the law and supposedly help keep software prices down by not doing anything considered to be piracy. Thanks!

1: I plan on building another computer for my own personal use at home and want to know if its legal to use that XP disk for the one I am about to build

you cannot use it if that copy of XP is allready installed on your current computer. if however you are building a new computer and not going to have that copy of XP on your current machine then yes, you can use it.

2: My brother's computer is messed up and he has no recovery disk and there is no"restore" feature built in to it, so can I use my XP disk to do a repair to his computer? He is having problems with "missing wininet.dll" errors and I think all i have to do is copy them from the disk into the dllcache folder.... i think. so Is that legal?

Yes, you can use any copy of XP to perform repairs on another XP machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back