2 yr old Homebuilt, Can not turn it off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built this system about 2 years ago

MOBO is MSI 7030
Video Card is Gainward 5900 XT
3 Hard Drives all connected SATA

The D-Link has Three red Lights top 2 and bottom left are red, bottom right is off.
The computer will not shut off unless I turn of the main switch on the back or unplug it.
It will not post ne beeps. The monitor "On Lite" just blinks, I connected the monitor to my laptop and it's good.
I have checked the connectors from the front panel switch to the "PWSW" header on the MOBO and the computer stays on if It's pluged to the mobo or not. I have shorted out the "PWSW" connector on the mobo it makes no difference.
the system just runs untill I turn it off on the back or unplug it.

This all started about 2 months ago, to get the computer to turn on I had to turn the main power switch on and of off to get the computer to boot. Then the front panel switch would not turn off the computer. Now when I turn on the main switch all the fans run the light come on the HDD spin up. I thought it might be my video card and switched it out with another. Same thing
No Video - Monitor Light Blinks- All Fans Spin - HDD's Spin up. Everything sounds and looks good. But no Boot.

I am not 100% percent sure, but your symptoms are similiar to ones I had once when a PSU was failing.

BTW....WELCOME to Techspot!!! :D

Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking the power supply was good cuz everything was running,
I found this pin out link and checked all the Voltages.
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

all of them check out correctly. (I have some electronics background). The one that stumped me is pin 14 (/PSON)Power Supply On (active low). It shows a direct short to ground (low) and if I pull of the "PWSW" connecter it should go high and shut the computer down. It made no change, on the multimeter or on the computer. BTW Pin 8 PWR_OK is at +5v DC.

I ahve another power supply but it's only 380 Watt the one in the computer is a 420 Watt Raidmax. If you really think it will help I will swap the units. I just belive I will be creating more probs by pulling it out and putting in another if this one checks out good.
Plz let me know.

TIA

It's worth changing out. Once they fail they could take out other components. Replace it while the rest of your system is ok.

Reseat all the connections from your power supply to your motherboard and other components before you spend money. There could be a faulty connection between the power supply and the power button. Happened to me once. True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back