200gb Hd In Bios - Only 130 Seen By Xphe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed first HD80gb in HP pentium4 - left second HD80gb (disconnected during new instal of software in new first HD 200).
Bios reports HD200 + HD80 - install WinXPHE from recovery disk supplied by HP .. it only sees 130 GB.
I tried PartitionMagic8.0... no free space. Same with DiskPart.
PTEDIT probably sees some free space in the partition table but I tried to change some and could not get the result and was obliged to change back to use the HD again.
Downloaded RecoveryExpert from Acronis... no help.
The PC even support an external HD via FW of 80GB (the old firs HD) so it seems tha it should be possible to manage 130 + 80 + 80 and why not the first 200 ?
My question is if there is a simpkle way to get use of the deisappeared 70GB and why it appened.

Maxtor Bigdrive Enabler Not Necessary With Sp2

Imp said:
no worries m8, this is a problem with XP not being able to recognise a hard drive over 130GB, all you have to do is make sure you have service pack 1 or greater installed and then download large drive enabler from here

http://www.infos-du-net.com/en/telecharger/Maxtor-Big-Drive-Enabler.html

This changes a registry settign to enable lage disk support over 130GB

thanks to the info in this board I decided to upgrade to SP2 and immediately Partitio Magic vas able to see the remaining 70Gb after the first 130. Just extended the extendex partition to get all Disk and installed a new volume.
No need to install the Maxtor enabler.

sometimes it is nessesary to split drives up into partitions of less than 130 GB for reliable operation due to limitations of the IDE/PATA interface. software FAT extenders are of course an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back