3.5 GB of RAM available from 8 GB

You need to double check that your ram is in the right channels on the board. It is in your motherboard manual (which you can find online)

You need to double check that your ram is in the right channels on the board. It is in your motherboard manual (which you can find online)
Hello
Thank you for your guidance
When tested it individually, it detected 4 GB of RAM
also tested the slots, they have no problem
Untitled-1.jpg

OK ..so you have the RAM in the correct slots on the board ..now put both sticks on the same channel and see if your available RAM changes. This has to be a dead channel problem on the motherboard..I have run into this before. I also had this situation when a customer did not mount a Ryzen CPU all the way into the socket and it ended up burning some of the pins and that was the end result...one dead memory channel.

I have a new Ryzen Mobo (ASRock B450 Pro4M) setup and experienced the same thing except I had 4x DDR4 modules to play with which worked great in other Ryzen builds previously.

Installing the 3000 MHz pair gave what you experienced above, 8GB but only 3.5 GB available. When when I swapped them out for the 2800 MHz pair, the memory was recognized at 8GB available. So the 3000 MHz pair must be screwy, right? No:

The #&%$@ memory controller on the Mobo I guess is crap as all I eventually needed to do is keep mixing and matching the modules until one interleaved pair registered as 8GB available. Then I installed the other pair and I finally have 16GB available. Something like this:

Install 2x 2800 pair - 3.5GB available
Install 1x 2800 - 4GB available
Install second 2800 - 8GB available
Keep the 2800s, install 2x 3000 pair - 16GB available, success!

Stupid motherboard.

Stupid motherboard.
Really...I've only dealt with Intel boards, (mostly Gigabyte), but their behavior is such that they will register all the installed memory, but run all the memory, at the speed of the slowest pair.

Intel even (almost ?), joked at one point, you can install 8 GB of RAM (915 series manual), but you'll still get only 3.5 GB with a 32 bit OS. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Really...I've only dealt with Intel boards, (mostly Gigabyte), but their behavior is such that they will register all the installed memory, but run all the memory, at the speed of the slowest pair.

Intel even (almost ?), joked at one point, you can install 8 GB of RAM (915 series manual), but you'll still get only 3.5 GB with a 32 bit OS. :rolleyes:

My Intel Mobo is as similar as possible, an ASRock B360 Pro4M, and doesn't have this problem, (as I swapped around memory to test), however I'm an ***** and installed my cooler blocking one of the memory slots so I only have one pair available. I'd love to fix that but it was such a PITA installing it (Hyper 212) that I haven't wanted to return to it until I buy a CPU upgrade. Problem is I bought an i5-8400 so even a 9900K would only be a modest or even minimal improvement for 1440p gaming with a GTX 1080. And with no affordable 3060 Ti or 6800 available to upgrade to, those extra memory slots go unused.

@Lew Zealand I set out to build a "real computer". (probably not to your standard of real). Thus i5-6600K, Z170 Matx, EVGA 1050 ti (dual fan). So, I sprung for a Noctua UH12 (?) cooler. (single 120 mm fan). Dunno if it would cool your rig.

I checked, and it exposes all 4 RAM sockets for direct access.

OK, they also have a 140 mm model, and all their fans interchange, which means you could hang one of their "Pro" 3000 RPM fans on it, should you choose.

Yes, their prices are outrageous. (More than double the ubiquitous CM 212s, of which have two as well)

I had the same problem with my 32gb ram, only had 8gb available, what I did was left it how it was, did a windows update with one stick so I had one stick 16gb, and restarted everything was a go. added then added my other stick a 16gb, went to windows bam 32gb available God bless

Back