3.5" USB internal card reader for a Dell

Code Butcher

I have Dell Optiplex GX620, P4 3.4ghz tower. I'd like to install an internal USB card reader in the unused 3.5" drive bay. The problem I'm having is locating the USB port on the motherboard to connect the USB drive to. Has anyone done this or has a similar machine that has a factory card reader installed. I already have a multi card reader with the pin connectors.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

CB

There are only so many places for it to hide on the motherboard and if you can't find it, it isn't there. Actually, I looked up the manual and it doesn't appear to have an internal USB header. You'll have to install a PCI USB card with an internal header.

There are only so many places for it to hide on the motherboard and if you can't find it, it isn't there. Actually, I looked up the manual and it doesn't appear to have an internal USB header. You'll have to install a PCI USB card with an internal header.

That's what I thought too, but I've seen other GX620s with the multicard reader in the 3.5" bay, but I have not been able to look inside to see how it's connected to the system. You may be right and they also use a PCI card to connect it.

Back