3 Blue screens in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone help me discover the cause of these and how to eliminate them? one was 1000050, while the others were 1000000a and 1000000e (They've gone out of the event viewer, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were!) I've attached the dump files.

Hopefully you can help!

One error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

One error is 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level it has no business addressing.

The last error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are strong indicators of corrupted memory.

All three only cite an XP OS driver as probable cause but OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help. With your error codes and with nothing definitive listed in the minidumps I suggest running a tried and true diagnostics of your RAM with Memtest. I am not saying corrupted memory is your issue but it is a good step to take.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I ran the Memtest overnight, and it did 8 passes in total with no errors found. I ran the test with both sticks of RAM left in, as I thought that taking one out was only to isolate a problem with a certain memory stick. Was that assumption wildly off the mark?! Since it found no errors, does this mean that all my RAM is okay? If so, what do I try now?

Leaving both sticks in is quite fine as that is the standard way of running Memtest. Bad memory has been known to, on occasion, pass memtest.

Try running it again per stick. It is quite safe to do so.

Also, give us your system specs susch as make and model of your motherboard, type and amount of RAM installed, cpu, video card, etc., plus the security software.

Yes, testing your system by trying only one RAM stick at a time is a typical troubleshooting technique to isolate the problem ("isolate" as you correctly stated!)

MEMTEST only can test a RAM module so well. I know this because I used to be a high tech engineer and wrote device drivers and diagnostic programs including testing memory. MEMTEST rans a battery of tests trying to exercise the memory stick in various ways. But it cannot do it in every way possible because there are too many combinations. What this means is, the memory stick may pass MEMTEST but it could still be defective!

Very likely this is a RAM problem as most BSOD with this error caused by faulty memory. In this case, swapping memory sticks is the only way to determine for sure that that's the problem (assuming MEMTEST doesn't find an error.)

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back