320W PSU upgrade

Dannyk0ed

I had this PSU when i first bought my Emachines T6212, Never had a problem with it, runs my GT210, And can run any games, No BSOD( Only when i play BF Play for free}- Its a memory problem when i dont heat up my computer

I noticed that it was dusty and i didnt clean it up for 6 years, or i dont remember if the people i send my PC for diag, But i have a 50 dollar budget and want a good PSU That supports my T6212. And that will make my performance better, this PSU i have has no problems i just want a newer verison and that can make my computer last a longer time :)

(Still running 1 CORE CPU, need a new cpu too if you can find one, jsut dont go overboard with the price)

$50 after rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Only recommending that because I recommended it to another guy on a tight budget a week ago. Unfortunately, a week ago it was $40 after rebate.

Really though, if you are just pushing a low power GPU and CPU, then you could probably, and I cringe to say this, get by with crap $30 500+ watt PSU. I would not recommend that normally, but those PSUs are probably fine if you never approach their "rated" power.

Really though, if you are just pushing a low power GPU and CPU, then you could probably, and I cringe to say this, get by with crap $30 500+ watt PSU. I would not recommend that normally, but those PSUs are probably fine if you never approach their "rated" power.

Why buy a crap 500w that probably can't actually produce more than 350w anyway when you can get a decent 350w - 400w from a more respectable company for around the same price?

These come to mind:
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W = $30 ($20 after rebate) {note this is really a 400W Cooler Master overrates their PSUs, but it is an FSP built unit and better than most no-name PSUs)
FSP Group ATX350-PNT 350W = $35 (this is an older design but for a 6 year old computer that really doesn't matter much)
Antec VP-450 450W = $40 (FSP built and similar to the unit above but updated with more SATA connectors and higher wattage)
All three of these are built on an old but reliable FSP platform.

For a ~$50 budget I'd recommend these:
ENERMAX NAXN ENP450AST 450W = $45
Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W = $50 (built by SeaSonic{S12II platform})
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S400 400W =$70 ($50 after rebate if you don't mind waiting for it) (Built by SeaSonic {S12II platform} with all Japanese capacitors {increases reliability})

The Corsair SNGX1275 recommended is a decent PSU, but the builder series have a known issue with coil whine so it may not be a good option if noise is a major concern for you.

Corsair are a very reliable company.

Their PSUs are excellent.

I wouldn't say all their PSUs are excellent.

The ones built by SeaSonic definitely are, the higher end ones built by CWT seem to be good as well. Although CWT is far from my favorite PSU OEM, they seem to have gotten better over the last few years.

The lower end CWT built PSUs, mainly the builder series (CX V2), are merely ok. They are of average quality for their price point but no better and they are known to have coil whine issues, not every PSU that leaves the factory has this issue but a decently high percentage do, and while this does not affect performance some people find this noise annoying, especially if they are trying to build a quiet system.

The Builder series also only tend to make financial sense if you can get them on sale or they have a rebate (which they frequently have) since there are other PSUs built by SeaSonic or Delta for roughly the same list price as the Corsair Builder series, such as the Antec Earthwatts and Neo ECO. There are even PSUs that are far better built for only slightly more such as the Antec High Current Gamer (HCG), PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII, and the SeaSonic S12II which both of those are based off of.

Sorry for the inactivity, thanks for the suggustions. I will try to go the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S400 400W, or ill see other suggestions and my wallet.

Damn. I posted a long reply about upgrades and it hasn't appeared.

PSU - Look for a corsair 500W maybe?

Also, don't bother upgrading your processor. Your current processor is socket 754, which basically only allows the old Sempron/Athlon single cores. An upgrade would be a waste of money.

Damn. I posted a long reply about upgrades and it hasn't appeared.
That reminds me, I spent 30 minutes commenting in another thread the other day, just to close the browser before posting. I told myself it must not have been important and didn't bother re-typing and hunting links. I'm not sure if anyone replied to the thread or not.

Also, don't bother upgrading your processor. Your current processor is socket 754, which basically only allows the old Sempron/Athlon single cores. An upgrade would be a waste of money.

Socket 939, and i saw some good socket 939 processor, But my processor is 2.0, but it was very,very fast, But i dont know about the dual core processor.

Socket

Ah. It's the 939 version of the Athlon 3200+? I thought it was the 754 version.

In that case, there are plenty of good 939 processors you can buy to replace yours:

Athlon 64 X2 4800+
I think the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ is the best CPU for the 939-socket. It's a dual-core clocked at 2.4GHz with a 2MB L2 cache. It will be a dramatic improvement over your current CPU. It's pretty expensive though. It's around £80 on eBay... you can buy an i3 2100 for that. They've stopped manufacturing all these old CPUs, so they're getting rarer and more expensive as time goes on.

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
The Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is a decent CPU. Dual core at 2.2GHz with 2MB L2 cache. I have it in AM2 format in a computer I use for light gaming/sound and video editing. It's a decent little workhorse. Runs cool too. £50 on eBay, which is still quite a lot, but it's better than £80 :D

If you do buy a replacement CPU, make sure it's the right socket before you order it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell from the information whether it's AM2 or 939.

The 4400+ is your best option. Depends where you live really. In Britain, the 4800+ is double the price of the 4400+. And it's only a 200MHz increase. Not even noticeable.

I think your motherboard only supports DDR RAM. Which means you can't upgrade to DDR2/DDR3.

But the Athlon 4800+ uses a Dual-channel DDR SDRAM memory controller. Which means it will work with your RAM.

From what I can read on your computer, it uses DDR dual channel SDRAM. Which is exactly what you need.

Basically, you don't need to upgrade your RAM :)

I made a mistake, the proccesor they are sending is Socket 940, can it work for socket 939? They just said it was Socket AM2, So will the 940 fit in 939 becasue its AM2

I wikied it, and"AM2 processors are incompatible with 939 motherboards and vice versa, and although it has 940 pins, it is incompatible with Socket 940.[1] Socket AM2 supports DDR2 SDRAM memory but not DDR memory, which the previous Socket 939 supported."

Back