36.4-inch monitor has 4,096 x 2,160 resolution, will set you back $36,000

Emil

Staff

Eizo Nanao has announced the DuraVision FDH3601, an industrial 36.4-inch LED-backlit monitor with a 4096 x 2160 resolution. It will set you back a whopping ¥2,880,000 ($36,000). The good news is that it comes with a 24-year warranty, so you don't have to worry that you'll have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on something that breaks in a few years.

The price tag, along with the fact there is no manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) because you can only buy it from the company's online store, clearly indicates that this monitor is primarily aimed for industrial applications. Eizo Nanao claims the monitor is perfect for monitoring air traffic control and geographic such as survey maps.

Other specifications of the monitor include a brightness of 700cd/cm2, the ability to display about 1,073.74 million colors (10 bits each for red, green, and blue), a contrast ratio of 1,000:1, a viewing angle of 176° both vertically and horizontally, as well as normal and maximum power consumptions of 162W and 350W, respectively. It even comes equipped with a human presence sensor, which allows it to automatically turn itself off when the user is away.

Last month, we wrote about a possible successor to the HDTV. Japanese national TV broadcaster NHK and Sharp jointly developed an 85-inch LCD compatible with Super Hi-Vision, a next-generation television broadcast format. With approximately 33 megapixels, Super Hi-Vision is touted as having 16 times the resolution of 1080p. NHK began R&D into Super Hi-Vision in 1995 and aims to begin trial broadcasts in 2020.

Eizo Nanao's product seems like a good alternative while you wait.

Permalink to story.

When I saw the title of this I expected to see the display bezel to, at the very least, be gold plated. I'm disappointed... It may not look it, but it is an impressive display according to the specs. Very overpriced I think, as the technology isn't anything new. We can jam 1920x1200 resolutions into under 16" laptop displays, there's no reason why they can't double that resolution on a display over 2x the size for a reasonable cost, say, under $8K...

Oh... you got this reversed.... "as well as normal and maximum power consumptions of 350W and 162W, respectively."

I'm not even sure how one could actually use this display being that ALL current desktop GPU's only support a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 per display. Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation.

Makes me wonder if this monitor's scaler can reliably upscale source material to the native res. If so, that's just amazing.

Nevermind, after looking at the inputs I can see how this display gets around the 2560x1600 limitation. It uses two dual-link DVI ports (left and right) or two DP ports (also left and right) per GPU to achieve 4096x2160.

That means just about anyone with a decent GPU that supports multiple monitors could use this beast of a display.

"1,073.74 million colors "

Wouldn't it make sense to call it 1.07 billion like every other IPS monitor maker does?

$36,000 for a monitor... mmmm... haahaha hahahha hahhaha jaja jaja jajaja !!!

it's a joke !!!

come on give me a break !!!

I'm not even sure how one could actually use this display being that ALL current desktop GPU's only support a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 per display.
Well, NO they don't. A single link DVI supports 2560x1600, A Dual-link DVI (i.e. using two DVI output/input per card/monitor can display WQUXGA (3840x2400) type resolutions just fine -albeit with GTF blanking....which is why the monitor has two DVI-D in connectors.
I you had bothered to follow the product link, you might also have seen that the monitor has provision for two DisplayPort inputs - thats 2 x 2560x1600 @ 30 bit colour depth.
Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation
You've not heard of Eyefinity?....or maybe gaming surround ? Virtually any decent workstation card will run a 4K panel (see page 3)
Makes me wonder if this monitor's scaler can reliably upscale source material to the native res. If so, that's just amazing.
I'd venture that the "source" material is being downscaled more often than not. Not everyone needs a monitor to play Battlefield 3 at 19x10

For example....these guys

Okay I want one :) Sadly cannot afford one, well its either this or a new car LOL

dividebyzero said:
I'm not even sure how one could actually use this display being that ALL current desktop GPU's only support a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 per display.
Well, NO they don't. A single link DVI supports 2560x1600, A Dual-link DVI (i.e. using two DVI output/input per card/monitor can display WQUXGA (3840x2400) type resolutions just fine -albeit with GTF blanking....which is why the monitor has two DVI-D in connectors.
I you had bothered to follow the product link, you might also have seen that the monitor has provision for two DisplayPort inputs - thats 2 x 2560x1600 @ 30 bit colour depth.
Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation
You've not heard of Eyefinity?....or maybe gaming surround ? Virtually any decent workstation card will run a 4K panel (see page 3)
I'd venture that the "source" material is being downscaled more often than not. Not everyone needs a monitor to play Battlefield 3 at 19x10

For example....these guys

Apparently you missed my second post (which funnily enough was right under my first post). Anyway, I now understand how this display gets around the 2560x1600 limitation.

By the way, the 2560x1600 limitation I'm referring to is PER OUTPUT (DL-DVI,HDMI, DP, etc..). Unfortunately, there are no GPUs available that can output more than 2560x1600@60Hz per output.

EYEfinity and SLI surround are irrelevant because they use multiple ports on a single GPU to output resolutions beyond 2560x1600 at 60Hz. But yeah, if you makes you feel better I do know that these technologies exist.

Also, you are incorrect about the DVI spec. Single-link DVI will only support a max res of 2098×1311 (16:10 ratio) at 60Hz. WQUXGA is supported only at 17Hz over single-link DVI, which is pretty much useless for just about anybody (unless you want to view some static images).

Dual-link DVI can support 2560x1600@60Hz, but WQUXGA (3840×2400) is only supported at 33Hz with GTF banking. Using a refresh rate under 60Hz is unacceptable for most content, so this is why
2560x1600 is considered the maximum (usable) resolution for modern GPUs.

Bottom line? This display requires two dual-link DVI ports (or two DP ports) to achieve 4096 x 2160@60Hz.

pinothyj said:
howzz1854 said:
just when i thought Apple's 27" Cinema Display was out of my reach.
Why don't you buy Dell's 27", the specs and price on that baby are quite remarkable…

because it looks like a damn ugly plastic godzilla, and it's not LED back it.

Apparently you missed my second post (which funnily enough was right under my first post).
So I did. But then, I expect people to understand the function of the "Edit" button also. Looks like I'm 0 for 2.
That means just about anyone with a decent GPU that supports multiple monitors could use this beast of a display
Not many cards don't support more than one output as far as I'm aware. And for those that do, there's always Matrox.......the next obvious question being; Who is likely to drop $36k on a monitor and not have a "decent gpu" to pair it to?

Back