3D games very slow after upgrading to xp sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone:)
this is my first post.

i recently upgraded to windows xp service pack 2. After that, 3D games became very very slow.

What could be wrong after the sp2 upgrade? Please help.

Hi CCT,

Thanks for the reply. My machine config is as follows:

mother board: A7V266-VM
RAM: 256MB DDR
processor: AMD Athlon XP 1.7+
hard disk: 40 GB

I dont have any on-board video card.

Thanks in advance.

If sp2 performs slightly slower than sp2 then you may feel it even more as you're using the minimum amount of ram required for a practical XP install.
Increase your ram to at least 512mb. Check your current DX version.
If you don;t have on-boarx video, what card do you have?

Hi Jack, thanks for your reply
I am having nvidia geforce2 integrated GPU and it has a built-in memory of 32MB. I am not sure about what this is called. I think this is display adapter. Also I have DirectX 9.0.

Actually before upgrading to sp2, the 3D games were running fine. Is it that sp2 requires more memory?

My doubt is whether any drivers are missing or outdated for sp2?
Please help.

Just an observation. You have 256mb system ram.
The 32mb "built-in" video ram comes from your system ram, leaving you 224mb system ram for Windows.
XP minimum ram required 256mb (not good)
512mb minimum required to run respectably
sp2 requires more ram

adding 512mb would help alot, 256mb at the very least.

drivers are independent of your upgrade to your SP2. In any cases, you should always check to see if there is updated drivers via the manufacturer's websites or wherever source it comes from.

I concur with the other two on the RAM issue. You should at least try and double the existing RAM or if possible go for 1Gb. Mind you, 256mb is for most people the "minimum" to be able to run winxp and word/excel (ie: office scenario). Once you want to do "stuff" with your PC you should bump that up.

Oh yeh, better gaming experience needs a real video card. Even if its a cheap $20-50 graphics card it releases more resources available back to the system, namely the RAM......

Hi,

As indicated by many, I have upgraded to 1GB RAM. The overall system performance improved alot. Thank you all for the suggestion.

But unfortunately, the 3D games did not get any better even with 1GB RAM. For example, while playing cricket, the movement of the batsmen, bowlers etc is very very slow.

Do I need to check and change anything else? Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back