3d rendering glitching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plagued

Operating system: windows xp sp2
Model: Alienware m9750 Laptop
Video: Nvidia 8700 x2

This problem has persisted through several driver updates. Videos and sound play fine. Windows runs fine. But when i start video games the screen will flicker and if the program is not stopped immediately it will lock the computer up. The problem does not seem to affect internet browser based games or casual games.
Most of the time it seems the textures are placed incorrectly, Character textures on walls, floor textures on characters, Ascii or fonts as background. The screen often flickers just before it happens signaling me to do an emergency program shutdown to avoid freezing.
If i can catch the problem, restarting the program rarely works. I usually have to shutdown and restart. When i open a program that could possibly trigger this event there is an 80% chance that it will.

Ive read several articles to try to resolve the issue. I came across one that mentioned faulty ram may be causing the problem. I did recently change my ram out from 2g to 4g and thats around when the problem started. But is it system ram or video ram thats causing this or is it another problem entirely since nothing else triggers the effect except video games or programs that use 3d rendering.

Go into th BIOS and make sure the RAM settigs are right. I had a similar problem where my system would crash only when gaming and it was because my motherboard was setting the RAM timings and frequency wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back