3d vidio cards troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog1122

I just bought darkstone and warcraft 3 to play on my computer, I used to play these when i lived in another town on the same computer, but now that i moved it keeps saying that it doesnt find a 3d vidio card and althought warcraft 3 plays thru the introduction part of the cd, when i actually tryto play the game it locks up and kicks me off the game. I'm very new to computers and dont have the knowledge yet of what to do or how to upgrade any drives, i did upgrade directx to 9.01 i believe, now what do i do, can someone help me with this.
maddog1122:eek:
maddog1122@hotmail.com

Chances are you either don't have a 3D accelerator installed on your computer at all, or you have missing/old drivers for your video card. Do you know what type of video card you have?

First thing.....check that the card is seated well....especially on the same computer and if nothing else has changed. Moves can be a lot of fun with computer equipment if not handled properly.

So you're saying that you boot into Windows fine, but when gaming, it kicks you off?

What card do you have installed? Check through your Device Manager, or run dxdiag and that could tell you too...

Originally posted by tripleione
Chances are you either don't have a 3D accelerator installed on your computer at all, or you have missing/old drivers for your video card. Do you know what type of video card you have?

here's what i got and alli know aboutmy computer:

3d prophet 11 mx, manufacture:hercules, chip type:genforce 2 mx
dac type: integrated ramdca, current display mode:800 x 600 (16 bit)72hz)
monitor:delta de-570, main driver:nv4_disp.dll, version:5.13.0001.2181(english)
minivdd:nv4-mini.sys
processor:amd duron (tm) processor, mx,3dnow,~1.2 ghz
memory:256mb ramn, pagefile:97 mb used, 515mb available
directx version:9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
sound card:sis 7012 wave, drivers:sis 7012.sys

thisis everything i can find, hope this helps
I tried checking to make sure the card was set in right and not loose
thanks for the help, I'm sure i'll learn alot here

Originally posted by Masque
First thing.....check that the card is seated well....especially on the same computer and if nothing else has changed. Moves can be a lot of fun with computer equipment if not handled properly.

I checked the card and its seated nice and tight, empire of ages plays, ok, so does some of the older games., thanks for the reply back

Originally posted by Masque

Just with warcraft 3, warcraft 2 seems to play ok or it did, I';l have to re-check that game to see if its working now, with warcraft three, it does not recognize direct x 8.1 or above

with darkstone, it does not recognize the computer having any 3d drivers

I sent my information in another post, maybe someone can tell me what driver update is needed formy siystem and whree to find it, hopefully that is all that is needed. I might have to upate all the computer again, its been 1 1/2 years since someone last updated it
thank you for replying. I'm learned a few new things jsut by reading this website forum, you guys are the greatest

ok, i went to both nvida and hercules website, downloaded graphics, and sound card up grades and also went ot nvida and downloaded the program youmentioned above, still having the same problems, I think itmay be time to buy a new card. what do you guys think?

I don't think it's video card related if even new drivers didn't help. Have you installed the latest updates for your OS via www.windowsupdate.com ?

Is there some kind of setup program for Warcraft III that you could use to identify the card to the game?

Are you having problems with any other games?

Does dxdiag report any problems (you can access dxdiag by clicking Start -> Run -> type dxdiag -> OK; run all three tests under display and see if they work correctly)?

EDIT: Also, the drivers off NVIDIA site should replace the drivers from the Hercules site, not coincide with them. Use the NVIDIA reference drivers only.

it could be windows, i'll check out that update site and try that, I dont have problems with any older games, just those two. if the update for windows doesnt work then the computer shop here in town said that it would cost aboutsixty dollars to findout the problem abnd outside of having to buy anynew parts they will fix the problem. So I mayjust go with that and then ask them what they did to fix the problem if i dont need any new parts that is.
hopefully i dont have to buy anything new

Well on the window upgrades, there were nine functions that needed to be upgraded, I'm gonna re-boot my computer so I'll get back to you all if that upgrade works
thanks for providing the website for the upgrades.

One other thing.....motherboard chipset drivers. They can also be an issue if outdated. If VIA chipset I know for a fact that there are AGP related drivers withing the package. Not sure about Intel's drivers or not. I didn't notice your mobo type above (or I'm just getting lazy). Do you know what it is?

Most likely a SiS chipset. I could be wrong, but I don't think VIA employs SiS onboard sound devices on their motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back