4850 CrossFire bluescreen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakarot27

i recent got a HIS 4850 i cooler http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6348624&CatId=3670
and did crossfire with my saphire 4850 512mb http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=220
i insatlled the 2 cards in my mobo and used only 1 crossfire connector because the new one doesnt come with one. i installed the laters 10.6 drivers and the crossfire x driver. after i enabled crossfire i opened up team fortress 2 and whenever i join a server i get the blue screen and when the game is launch there is a bunch of purple lines. then i installed need for speed shift and i get the same problem. however when i disable crossfire all is good =/
my rig:
asus p5q3 deluxe wifi
e8400
antec sonata 3
antec 500d psu
2gb of ocz3g13332gk
and the 2 gpus mentioned earlier
1x vertex ssd 60gb
please help im running out of ideas. thank you in advance :)

You only need one crossfire connector, you can use two but it wont make any difference. try moving the crossfire bridge from the 1st to second crossfire out, or the opposite of where you have it, and see if that makes a difference

i tried that this morning and it didnt make a difference.... i also reinstalled drivers, restarted and pretty much everything u do first when u run into a problem like this =/
could it be a faulty crossfirex bridge????

http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=diRYz5oR6oCEgWLw
on the asus website it says that my mobo can support up to quad crossfire x but when i look at my board i c a blue pci express slot which is where my saphire is installed. then a white one that is empty. then 2 black ones where on the first one i have my HIS installed. should i have installed it on the white one? and if i did it right then how does my mobo support quad when there are only 3 slots?

on the asus website it says that my mobo can support up to quad crossfire x but when i look at my board i c a blue pci express slot which is where my saphire is installed. then a white one that is empty. then 2 black ones where on the first one i have my HIS installed. should i have installed it on the white one? and if i did it right then how does my mobo support quad when there are only 3 slots?

The white slots are PCI slots, not PCIE slots, you cannot put graphic cards in them. put your two 4850's in the first two available PCIE slots (the top blue, and the next black one)
the "up to quad crossfire goes by the number of GPU's...not the number of graphic cards. for example I am running quad crossfire on my DFI board with 3 PCIE slots as I have 1-HD 4850 x2, and 2-HD 4850's = 4 GPU's = quad crossfireX. you can also run quad crossfire with two PCIE slots by running two dual GPU cards in crossfire. If you still are having problems try a different CF bridge, and make sure there is not a PCIE jumper setting that needs to be adjusted on your board to run a crossfire configuration. (consult your MB manual)

ok problem is solved.
turns out the problem was a loose pcie power connector on my mobo...i didnt plug it in far enough and my way for checking was seeing if the fan was spining on my his 4850...and it was but the power it was getting was from the pci e slot on my mobo. my pc detected it but couldnt get it to run?
sorry for all the trouble but it was an honest first time mistake.....i decided to post because maybe someone will google the same problem and come here and fix it
thanks for all the advice
-kakarot the ***** =/

Hah! Good catch and thanks for posting your findings. Everyone makes these types of mistakes sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back