4K TV shipments jumped 500 percent in Q3 2014

Himanshu Arora

Staff

4K TV shipments topped 3 million units last quarter, up a whopping 500 percent compared to the same quarter last year, bringing total shipments to 6.4 million units this year, according to the latest report from global market research and consulting firm DisplaySearch.

The report notes that the jump in 4K TV shipments is primarily due to broader competition and more accessible price points.

China is the biggest 4K TV consumer market, accounting for more than 60 percent of global shipments last quarter. Samsung leads the global market with 36 percent share, although the South Korean company is facing stiff competition from Chinese brands.

Following Samsung is LG Electronics, which occupied the No. 2 spot with 15 percent of the global 4K TV market, while Sony came in at No. 4 with 9 percent of the market. Chinese companies Hisense and Changhong grabbed the No. 3 and No. 5 spots, with 10 and 6 percent of the market, respectively.

Top 5 Worldwide 4K TV Revenue Share by Brand

Brand Q1’14 Q2’14 Q3’14
Samsung 22% 43% 36%
LGE 11% 12% 15%
Hisense 16% 7% 10%
Sony 10% 10% 9%
Changhong 6% 5% 6%

Overall TV shipments increased 4 percent year-on-year last quarter, with LCD TV shipments alone rising nearly 9 percent. However, annual TV shipment growth averaged less than 1 percent in the first half of 2014.

“While the last several years in the TV business have been difficult in terms of overall shipments and revenue, the market is showing some broad resiliency now, with most regions enjoying growth in the third quarter,” said Paul Gagnon, director of global TV research at DisplaySearch. “Consumption for primary TVs is entering a renewed replacement cycle in some key regions, while adoption of larger screens and 4K and other higher resolutions will keep consumers upgrading.”

Permalink to story.

I remember a while back there was the debate about which will be the next TV technology to take off. HD was the obvious last hit, and 3D was a flop. The debate was between OLED and 4K. I wonder how OLED is doing, because I think if I had a the choice I'd take a 1080p OLED TV over 4K.

I have no idea but, doesn't 1080p and 720p content looks worst on a 4K than a 1080p tv?

If Microsoft ever finishes the rebirth of Flight Sim it's going to really look great. Shoot, I might just upgrade my bi-focals after all!

Who gives a crap about TV's. Give me 4k 30-34inch monitors with over 60hz and less than 2 grand. preferable from several vendors so competition drives prices down. TVs suck and ultra high res monitors have often been in the realm of a broken bank account.

I have no idea but, doesn't 1080p and 720p content looks worst on a 4K than a 1080p tv?

Of course it will look bad, imagine 1920x1080 resolution video in 4k screen, the image wont fit perfectly thus making the video spread out to match the 4k resolution of the TV.

stretching the video will make 1080p or 720p video look bad on any 4k tv.

That's why the debate is still going strong, whether to buy 4k tv now or later, since the 4k content is VERY limited.

4K just made all eyefinity-3DS setups look silly. Just kidding.

Seriously though I cannot wait to hear details on AMD/Nvidia next generation GPU's, you know they are going to strongly accommodate 4K gaming.

It doesn't look bad as long as you're comparing same screen sizes between 1080p and 4K. That's because 4K is an exact multiple-resolution where each 1080p pixel would cover a square of 4 pixels in 4K, not fractions of pixels -thus needing a filter or something. So... you would see groups of 4 pixels in 4K doing the same job of a single pixel in 1080p within the same area.

Where do you get 4k broadcasts or even stream them with comcast at 2m download speed? In fact, I might be downgrading from 1080p to 720p if not standard def as the 5 year old polaroid hi def tv already blew out from walmart.

No, from 1080p scaling is very easy (just double pixels in lenght and height=4x),or mix 4 pixels in 1 (like antialiasing), at worst the image fidelity is the same (4k and 1080p are proportional)

No, from 1080p scaling is very easy (just double pixels in lenght and height=4x),or mix 4 pixels in 1 (like antialiasing), at worst the image fidelity is the same (4k and 1080p are proportional)
So true! And 720p would triple in height and width, which is also proportional. There is no stretching. I tried once to prove to myself that there would be stretching and proved the exact opposite.
  • 720 x 3 = 2160
  • 1080 x 2 = 2160
  • 4K is 2160

I've had my full HD TV for about 8 years or more now. And only within the last year or so have terrestrial broadcasts (other than BBC) become available in HD in the UK. Sky TV offered some but at a premium pricing. I'm not going to invest early again in a set and pay high prices until there is significant adoption of 4k by content providers and broadcasters. Can get a similar or better specification HD tv now for a fraction of what I paid, and now it's worthwhile. Not even Consoles back then were worth having full HD tv for as many of the games only made it to 720p. 4k is obviously going to be the next step (already game on PC at 2560x1440), but I'm going to wait for the moment.

I remember people saying that SD on their HD tvs looked crap, I'm sure HD to 4k will be a lot better, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig for it...

Well nobody seems to of realise that yes 4k TV shipments have increased 500%, they sold 5 Tv's out the gate and now an amazing 25 ...

It is too early, it is unnecessary and they best have 144hz and 1ms response times. And be cheap. Early adopters think they are ahead of the curve, they just pay premium for the emperors new clothes half the time.

I don't own a TV at all, but when I decide to get one, it will be at least a 60" 4k screen.

Back