64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

why do the opterons have sutch a low operating frequenty?
i'm shure if they had a 3.0ghz opteron it would outperform a 3000+ or 3200+ for that matter. does anyone now the operating frequenties from the athlon64?

A year ago (when the Athlon 64 was still the Hammer, and was still just a hype), someone came up with ratings that said a 3200+ would run at 2.0ghz...I don't know if that still stands, but with the benchmarks I've seen on the 1.8ghz it seems pretty close.

no, i mean if they would have a 3ghz athlon64 then it should easly ouperform anything out there

64-bit CPUs only perform better with a 64-bit OS, running binaries that have been compiled from 64-bit aware code.

I would guess that their 32-bit performance is similar to what's around right now. That's why I am telling you all to chill out and relax! Yes, its going to be very cool, for not for a while...

The design of the Opteron won't allow it t run at those speeds.

That was ok when Iten and AMD were on about the same mhz, but Intel changed their philosophy when they introduced the P4. Higher clockspeeds was their aim (while losing some efficiency in the clock/intruction ratio), while AMD has a better clockspeed/intruction ratio, Intel wil be able to continue ramping those clockspeeds higher and higher w/ the P4. The P4 took alot of heat on it's intoduction, but the writing was on the wall. Intels seem to have a speed advantage, albeit it takes a MUCH higher clockspeed to do so.....That's for now. Not to sure what's going to happen w/ the new 64bit machines. I know Intel has servers running 64bit, but plans for a desktop model???

I like AMD's approach of a hybrid design, able to run 64bit AND older 32bit app's...should be a big seller:)

intel, won't go desktop

till, 2005.......you know what that means.......2006

intel is not to concerned about 64 bit desktops as they realize there are no mainstream Os's or applications that are 64 bit readily available and 64 bit is not going to penetrate to the mainstream consumer market anytime soon.

I dont think intel is all that concerned about the operton as far as mainstream computing goes. they will release presdott this fall. prescott will be redesigned with a new socket in spring of 2004 and by fall 2004 they will release Tejas. I dont see intel going 64 bit desktop until the market warrants it.

intel has beeen pretty good about delivering it's chips when it says it will unlike AMD. the "hammer/opteron" was supposed to be out LAST year remember?

but

remember, the software support hasn't arrived either.....so, they're not late.............in fact the mobos are leading the race.........and, amd, had better be ready...........and, with backwards compatibility, things will work out..........when the software support arrives........it's cyaaaaaaaa

right people will line up in droves to pay almost 500.00(current prices) for a opteron comapaitable mobo . on top of probably 500- 600 for the opteron itself. LOL

pls, iss, don't insult me

opteron mobo's are exactly that....servers........hammer is out this month, for the desktop...........anything computer related plunges in price as new developments occur..........if you can't get excited about it, take a chill pill and suck on a margarita..........by the way, the opteron is taking no prisoners, in that arena, without optimised software
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10754

JSR,

there is nothing to get excited about. hammer or operton. even IF they make it out this month so what? prescott will be out soon as well in fact dont be suprised if they arrive at the same time.

you seem to think that opteron or Hammer is going to allow AMD to just blow intel away. well, it aint gonna happen its just that simple. and I am not anti AMD I run two AMD systems myself. but realistically AMD is huffing a puffing as hard as it can while intel stays ahead without much effort. as allready pointed out by phant there is going to be little or NO advantage in running 32 bit programs on opteron or hammer.

one thing is true

intel has the power to buy parity..........they have a stranglehold on the industry............so, they can put the sqeeze on vendors and the like, to prolong the inevitable, as i see it............phant knows this is going to take time...........so do i, i am just astonished by where we might be here in the near future.........when 64 bit optimised software comes into play, with the nforce right up it's @ss, i'm thinkin' power shift, to whatever it is our selfish end :grinthumb

well that would be nice I would like to see AMD on a more even footing with intel. I just dont see it happening anytime soon. in my book the worse thing that could happen is for amd to lose what ground it has now. I hope their opteron /hammer gamble pays off for them. but I am not that optimistic about it.

i not gona buy an opteron to soon. i'll wait for the benchmarks and reviews and if i dont need more speed i'll wait for 64-bit software:D

Anyone can buy an opteron. It has nothing to do for "server applications only", that just happens to be its target market. If someone wants to they will be just as able to purchase one.

I myself intend to purchase a dual opteron system sometime next year.

you're right soul

anyone can.........i'm just trying to alleviate the confusion of an opteron as a desktop system.......those systems should arrive by months end under the clawhammer label.........if my intent was confusing, my bad........

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
Anyone can buy an opteron. It has nothing to do for "server applications only", that just happens to be its target market. If someone wants to they will be just as able to purchase one.

I myself intend to purchase a dual opteron system sometime next year.

You are very correct. "Server applications" refer to software configurations, not hardware. There is nothing to stop you installing Windows XP on, say, a dual opteron system, etc.

i'm learning how to work with 3dsmax5.1:D and i'm plannig to get a dual system when i'm in need of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back