802.11b vs. 802.g wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyboop911

Am new to networking. Apparently, wireless router 802.11g is 5 times faster than 802.11b? :confused:

Is it worth the extra money? Thanks

If you will be using 802.11g cards then yes, if you'll be using b cards then no.
802.11b has a max speed of 11mbps, 802.11g has max speed of 54mbps.
In most cases it doesn't cost much more for the g than for b. I know that Walmart sells both the Linksys BEFW11S4 which is b and the WRT54g, which is g. The last time I looked, the g router was $10 more than the b.

Some manufacturers also sell routers with proprietary technologies which can boost speeds to even higher than g. These arre not standards and only work properly with cards which also support the feature. These routers usually run a bit higher and are not worth it if you'll be mixing brands of cards on the network. Some manufacturers' cards may not function at all unless the speed boosting features are disabled on the router.

bettyboop911 said:
Am new to networking. Apparently, wireless router 802.11g is 5 times faster than 802.11b?
Since you're new, I suggest DLINK's hardware rather than LINKSYS. LINKSYS' are more oriented toward techies than problem free ease of use for typical Joe Users.

Yes, 802.11g is faster than 802.11b at the price of limited range, when the range is about 3 rooms over the speed will revert and drop back down to normal 802.11b in typical LINKSYS.

bettyboop911 said:
Is it worth the extra money? Thanks
It is worth the extra money for DLINK hardware, DLINK used extra techniques long time established by Ti's military data communication hardware. They probably had hired lots of ex Ti's engineers, most likely from the old missile division in north Texas.

DLINK wireless stuff tended to be easier to use for Joe Users while having better reliability and better performance range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back