9600 pro 128 MB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced my GeForce MX 64 mb with a ATI 9600 pro 128 mb, games run fine everything runs smooth but i can no longer watch .wmv files, .mpg plays fine and so does AVI. Im running the Catalyst 5.9 drivers (new to ATI dont know of any better drivers) The videos play but come out almost inverted all super bright colors neons. Has any one else had this problem? Could it possibly be the drivers im using? Any suggestions would be great, if you need more info inorder to further help me just ask and ill get the info. Not really sure how to explain

PC Specs
P4 1.8
512 Ram
Windows XP pro

I had a 9600AIW for awhile, but I'm not really up on catalysts. However, the latest approved drivers on ATI's site are 5.1. The only 5.9s I know about are 3rd party tweaked drivers. If I'm wrong, sorry. But if I'm right, I would go to ATI's site and download the stock drivers. You may have something on there that is optimized for Dual Core or SLI, and isn't compatable with your system.

Hi Skylar,
The 5.9's come highly recommended as their my favorite Catalyst drivers for that card (9600 series).

What you should do is download the hefty (41mb) ATI UCI download at:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-08_mmc_uci.exe

This is the Unified Components Installer for Windows XP, which includes Windows Media, Media Encoder, MDAC/DAO and several other Microsoft component updates needed for a HW accelerated card like the 9600 series.

You should also try disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS, then also try reducing AGP to 4x for tests to see if this helps, changes or corrects the problem.

If you bought a true-blue, made by ATI full-retail 9600, you are also entitled a single user license to ATI's DVD Decoder and MMC (MultiMedia Center). It will depend on the CD that shipped with your Radeon. If you have a full retail, ATI made board, try the following link (~6mb):
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/atiCDwiz.exe

It will ask you to insert your CD to be checked for license, and if present allow you to download and install the ATI DVD decoder. After this, you can install and use ATI's MMC (~32MB):
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-08_mmc_enu.exe

The first link should fix your problem with Windows Media files and Media Player. If you still have issues, there are also hotfixes and updates for Windows Media Player for HW accelerated and HD files you may need. I'd start with the UCI install and post back if you still have issues.

Thanks for all the help, a friend told me to just turn video exleration off and it fixed the play back problem! thanks

You can disable HW acceleration also, but keep in mind- you're now using generic Windows GUI and not taking advantage of the HW acceleration, smoothing or other capabilities of your 3D Card this way.

I'd also mention that HD or higher detail video streams will likely not play properly- as in loaded with stutter, sputter, out of sync audio and the like. If you do not view or use HD streaming video or other similar formats, then you're all set. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back