9800 GX2 Technical Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

Ok, I have no plans to buy one soon, but I was looking into the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2. Do you need a specialized motherboard to handle this card? By this I mean, do I need a special motherboard that supports mote than one Video Card? If so, will I be able to upgrade to a newer video card in the future? I know that the the 2 GPU's are on one board (I think), but I try and stay away from SLI motherboards as I have generally heard you can't upgrade them. (Please tell me if that's bs or not ok lol.) I'm looking to build a comp in about six months. I just want to know if a standard motherboard that has one PCI-Ex16 slot will run this monster, all other considerations (Temperature [covered by the El Diablo case by Tagan] and power supply [600 Watts]) should be taken care of. I don't plan to run more than one card, which is why this card looked so appealing. 2 GPU's, 1 card.

If any of my assumptions about this card are wrong, please tell me.

If you can tell me about supported motherboard types, and upgradability, that'd be great. I don't wanna buy an SLI compatible if I don't have to. Also, if upgradability would be an issue, please list good alternatives to the 9800 GX2.

I know I'm asking alot, but if you could help me out, that would be great.

A single PCI-E x16 slot motherboard should run it just fine and just because a board is SLI should have no bearing on their upgradability. What kind of upgrades are you talking about anyway?

Right now the 9800 GX2 is pretty much the top of the heap. Any alternative would be lower cost and lower performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back