9800 Pro problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

philwalker

Hi all,

Think my PC is stuffing up video cards.

Changed the standard heatsink on my old MSI Radeon 9800 Pro to a Arctic cooling one, realised it did not fit (duh!) so put standard one back on. Put back in PC, booted, nothing. No output from video card.

Thought I had killed my video card when changing VGA cooler, so bought another. This one already had a Arctic coolong cooler fitted, great!!!.......I thought.

Put in pc, connected correctly, nothing, no output, same as my card???????

Tried in a mates pc. Same.

Tried his old Ti4200 in mine, fine.

Tried all following:

Different power leads
Reset CMOS (thought it might help...)

Still nothing, and I am now left with TWO dead video cards.....

Before I rush out and buy another (or throw my PC out of window in desperation(!), does anyone know why this might be happenening?

Is my PC killing these cards, and how?

PLease help, before I go bald!!!

Ta all in advance.
Phil

As no noe has replied yet, perhaps a few specs might help, sorry should ave thought of this before:

Asus A7N8X - E Deluxe motherboard
XP2600+ with Arctic cooling cooler
512mb DDR PC2700
Antec PSU
Maxtor 300gb HDD

Cant think of anything else you might need to know.

Please help, someone, anyone..........

Yep.

Makes no difference at all.

Incidentally, this card has a standard Molex connector for the power, my old one had a floppy tyope power connector.

Tried ALL the leads off my PSU, no joy.........

Try this.....Power supply molex into one end of the video card cable, then the video card cable molex into the Hard Drive. The cable that is supplied with the 9800 should go inbetween the PS and hard drive.

Am I not right in thinking, that even without power, the monitor should detect it is connected to a video card??

My old card posted and then gave an error message about connecting power if it was connected correctly....

Now it does zilch.....

Sounds like a classic 9800PRO failure. I would say that most likely the card IS damaged but it isn't your PC that's doing it. 9800PROs are known (at least known by ME) to be very buggy. A lot of them are very unstable and shouldn't even be being sold at all. I would say to get a Radeon X800GTO like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102609

It is much faster than a 9800PRO and it isn't unstable at all. Also, its AGP so you won't have to upgrade your motherboard.

I ran a 9800 Pro for a long time, had no issues with it at all. I still have it sitting in a closet somewhere. I upgraded to a X850 about a year ago. But you are right in saying that the monitor should recognize that a video card is connected. Did you try using the DVI port on the card with the adapter?

MetalX said:
Sounds like a classic 9800PRO failure. I would say that most likely the card IS damaged but it isn't your PC that's doing it. 9800PROs are known (at least known by ME) to be very buggy. A lot of them are very unstable and shouldn't even be being sold at all. I would say to get a Radeon X800GTO like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102609

It is much faster than a 9800PRO and it isn't unstable at all. Also, its AGP so you won't have to upgrade your motherboard.

But TWO cards, identical failures?

My card was never overclocked or flashed, just attempted to change the heatsink.

The second card was purchased froman eBay seller, already fitted with an ATi silencer, and flashed to an XT BIOS..

But surely they cant both have same problem?

Maybe both cards were damaged when the heatsinks were replaced. That seems to be the common link here. Anyway to get ahold of a stock 9800?

Yeah, it is VERY possible that i damaged mine, but guy on ebay insisted that his card was in working order.

he sent all flash utilities and bios on discs, but i really dont want to try reflashing it, as i think its totally dead, and i dont want to make it any worse than it is, in case i can send it back to him.........

Is there another system that you can test the 9800's in? Don't always beleve what you read on e-bay. DOA parts happen all the time.

Try and send the second card back to him. If you can get ahold of a 3rd 9800 stock, try it out. If not, you might be better off saving yourself the frustration and getting a different model card. Try getting one from a retail store so if it doesn't work, you can return it without any hassles.

After thought.... if the heatsink didn't fit on the first card, how did it get installed on the second?

I still say just try another card because 9800pros aren't very good nowadays. Bottom of the line pretty much. Just get a Geforce 7 series or a Radeon X series.

Second card I bought already fitted with a Arctic coooling cooler, and was a standard 9800 Pro, so mine would have fit anway, didnt fit first card because I had a MSI 9800 Pro. Different holes, etc.

I would love one of aove mentioned cards, but sadly, doubt I can afford it (I live in UK and prices grossly inflated over here, especially for AGP cards) PCI express are cheap, but I dont have a PCI express mobo

Looks like rest of my PC on eBay soon........

Thanks again all for your avice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back