A click?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanAU

When Im on my PC I will e just logging onto my name as windows just started and programs are beginning to load in the task bar etc...then i hear a click from inside my tower and then everything freezes. Could it be over clocked or what. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Yes - this could be a thermal cut-out in the PSU which would normally turn the power off completely.
Suggest you start with downloading everest home from www.majorgeeks.com and have a look at your running temperatures (under sensor).

HDD might be going out. When it is trying to read from that specific locaiton on your drive it crashes. I would suggest backing everything up IMMEDIATELY

Hmm..I have a 550w power supply, a fan on my gfx card, heatsink on the processor, and two other fans in the tower how can it be getting too hot? I even have the cover off

ive reformatted this HDD like 5 times in the past 6 months. I wish there was a way i could pin point it. I thought it was my gfx card casue i took it out and cleaned it out but apparently not.

ps i got all my music and pictures backed up already. from the previous freezing times.

You could have a look at the list in event viewer (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event viewer > system log. Is there anything marked red or yellow at the time you heard the click?

A click and a freeze in my expierence has ALWAYS been a hard drive failure. Back up everything immediately like Poertner_1274 says, then download the manufacturer's diagnostic tools and run them. I'd be mildly suprised if it passes SMART testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back