a few issues, but mainly desktop wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Came across this site as i'd been frustrated for the past few months with the black-screen "your computer is in danger!" message as my desktop wallpaper. I've downloaded and run hijackthis based on directions in another post on this site, and i've attached the txt file of the log. Here's what ive done so far, and a few details:

- The black screen will show until i exit windows, like if i'm restarting or logging out(i rarely log out - one user). Then for a brief moment when everything else has closed out, my original wallpaper will show up.

- I use two browsers: the latest firefox, and netscape 7.0 (I just favor that version for some reason). When I restart and the "real" wallpaper shows up, the only available option is whatever is chosen from Netscape, when I right click on an image and choose "set as wallpaper". If I go to the desktop display settings for wallpaper choice, everything is grayed out/inaccessible except for the color choice and "customize desktop"

- tried unchecking the boxes in the desktop settings window as described in some other forums. It actually seemed to work for a bit, as the regular wallpaper showed up, but the wallpaper choices in the desktop display tab were still grayed out. And when i changed the background color, the black screen returned.

- in addition:
getting slower response in startup, between the system "stats" screen and the windows user login screen.
also getting random restarts when i close certain programs sometimes, or if i end certain programs that have suspended/"not responding"

- i periodically run avast, adaware, and registryfix to check for viruses

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

while i'm at it, i'm getting some words in my browser that bring up ads or hyperlinks if you scroll over them. Prominent words like computer, viruses, etc.

sorry if i needed to start a new thread for this

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system is riddled with malware.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of speshalK7 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Whew! that was a lot..!
But well worth it, it seems. I'd be surprised if i did everything perfectly, but I tried to follow the steps as best as I could. My resolution in safe mode was too low to show ad-aware so I couldn't use it (did it in the normal mode). However the desktop is in normal working condition, thanks alot!

Let me know if i need to attach any other logs

All items in your AVG Antispyware log say "No Action Taken". That`s because you haven`t told AVG Antispyware to quarantine it`s results as per the instructions. See this pictorial guide.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for removing the sony drm rootkit.

Post fresh HJT, Combofix and AVG Antispyware logs.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of speshalK7 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back