A few questions about the ATI HD 4830

Status
Not open for further replies.

xarchsagex

Hi Everyone!
So I'm new here... and I require some help with the ATI HD 4830... dealing with wether it's compatible with the specs of this computer I'm about to buy...

So... Here are the specs:

Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1400 2GHz 800MHz 512K LGA775 CPU

Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN LightScribe 22X DVD+/-RW SATA Internal Drive

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive

Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G D2-800 2GB Memory

GIGABYTEGA-G31M-ES2L Core 2 Quad/ Intel G31/ FSB1333/ DDR2-800/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

Microsoft Windows XP Home W/SP3

iMicro CA-IMJ230P 400W 20+4pin ATX Mid Tower Case

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Also, if anyone could provide an average of fps I should expect in games like WoW, Crysis: Warhead and CoD5... I'd appreciate that as well

Hope you guys can help!

The thing that would help us is your budget because if you want to game you're going to need a better cpu than the Celeron and a better video card.

Also, with a very few exceptions, any power supply that comes with a case is utter garbage. I really wouldn't trust that psu. Otherwise everything else looks good.

Well the thing is I don't have a choice in what to get... because it comes from a relative who's moving, and decided to give it to me, as he won't be using it... and I wanted to upgrade the video card... from what I heard the HD 4830 is good for games like WoW... and manages to play Warhead alright... but how much would the processor decrease performance by?

I might replace the PSU sometime soon...

I just thought... I could probably get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5200+ ... would that be better than the previous processor mentioned above?

I just thought... I could probably get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5200+ ... would that be better than the previous processor mentioned above?

Yes, very much so, but the motherboard is for Intel cpus and so won't take an AMD. Celeron's aren't a gaming cpu. The card should do fine for WoW.

Take a look at your motherboard system specs. You can really add some powerful cpus to that board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357&Tpk=GIGABYTEGA-G31M-ES2L

Do you know if the case is small or a mid-tower?

Get yourself an antec earthwatts 430 watt, an e8400 Intel, keep the card, get 4 gigs of ram and you're good.

I'm not that good with computers :( Sorry :( In a month or so I might probably update the processor... If so, what processor could you recommend (I've made note of the e8400 intel) that would be average-high performance in games like Warhead? I'm going to have to stick with the RAM and power supply thingy for a bit though, I guess that won't affect performance that much right?

If Celeron's arent meant as gaming cpu's... How much would it reduce my performance and such in like WoW, like say during 10 or 25 man raids (I've got good internet)? It's just finance is a problem atm, and may need a month or so til I can upgrade :(

2 gigs of RAM with XP is fine. Besides, a 32-bit operating system such as XP will not utilize more than 3.0 to 3.25 gigs so stick with 2.

You could try the Celeron and see how it works. That Intel is a very good cpu.

I'll try it out and see :) I do plan to upgrade in the future :) Hopefully the power supply thingy isn't gunna be an issue with the HD 4830...

hey mannnn, sorry im in hippie mode,
don't short the 4830, it will do do more than fine for WoW, and Crysis Warhead at 1440 x 900 at med spec. the 4830 is a sleeper, it performs within single digits of the 4850, best bang for the buck, at least until that RV740 thing comes out. the cpu is a different matter as Route pointed out. so it depends on the resolution you want to game at X.

Well, I've always been accustomed to crappy graphics, etc... because I never really got into gaming until recently lol. Idk what resolutions I'd play at though... the monitor I'm getting is 19"... so what do you think would be playable resolutions? I know about 800x600... but that's too choppy for me lol. So what other resolutions could I play Warhead at? (including Crysis Wars - Multiplayer)

with that card, and that size screen 1440x 900 is about right. and the 4830 will do fine for that if that cpu doesn't hold it back. i have involuntarily become somewhat of an expert on the 4830, i started with one and ended up with three in crossfire. and crysis warhead is my favorite game, so I had to tweak the one when thats all I had LOL. so holler if ya need help X :)

Yay! Lol. I'll make sure to do that! So you could like teach me to OC it safely and stuff? I hear friends talking about how they always OC their cards, etc... Damn... I can't wait to play games PROPERLY with this card! You sure I don't need like a RAM upgrade or something? I could probably buy that atm, and get someone to install it :) 4GB is good right?

No, you really don't need to upgrade the RAM. First, it is Kingston and they make excellent RAM. Plus, it is correct for your motherboard.

Second, as I said, 2 gigs under XP Pro is more than enough for gaming. Only a 64-bit operating system will take full advantage of 4 gigs of RAM. XP is 32-bit.

If you do upgrade your video card you will in all likelihood have to upgrade your power supply. The reason I asked you how big the case is was because your motherboard is a micr-atx board and often people build them in smaller cases. The powerful video cards need a lot of space.

Well, I haven't really seen the case... but it says Mid-Tower? Does that help? I also heard the HD 4830 takes 2 slots because it's wide? I won't upgrade the RAM then =] Thanks for the info, didn't see it up there...

Good, its mid-tower. That is the standard size for most builds. Many of the more recent video cards are so large that they do take up two slots.

Modern gaming is very GPU intensive. When you are ready to upgrade post in the General Hardware forum and ask away! :) You'll get some great advice.

what Route44 said! lol
the card is not wide...its tall. must be talking about a 4830 that is two slot, the heat sink will take up two slots, or rather use one ,and cover the other up. and what route said about 2gb of ram, if you move to 4gb you will encounter .'memory mapped IO reservations' bwahahahaha! lol and wont have any performance gains anyway. and to back route up, Kingston makes good stuff. but yes i would be happy to assist you giving your VGA a little tweak :)

I might replace the PSU sometime soon...
You probably MUST replace to game using a newer graphics card.
The 4830 would probably be bottlenecked by your CPU, utterly wasting it as people above mention.

As for Warhead and the other games you mentioned, i'm sure the 4670 at $70 is a cheaper solution with ample performance, as long as you don't go overboard with the settings, though the 4830 is a great card.

You probably MUST replace to game using a newer graphics card.
The 4830 would probably be bottlenecked by your CPU, utterly wasting it as people above mention.

As for Warhead and the other games you mentioned, i'm sure the 4670 at $70 is a cheaper solution with ample performance, as long as you don't go overboard with the settings, though the 4830 is a great card.

I can't replace the power supply at the moment :( Does that mean i won't be able to game and play Warhead, etc..? I'm gunna replace it in the future for sure but I'm gunna have to stick with it for now... and about being bottlenecked by the CPU... like how much would it decrease performance by... like what FPS would I get in Warhead at Gamer setting? or even high? I hope it doesn't bottleneck it too much :(

-------------------

Nvm what I said up there about not replacing the PSU atm. I phoned the guy, and he said it's a Cool Max 400W PSU that came with the case and that's the reason he doesn't have a kick-*** graphics card because apparently the Cool Max is crap. I even searched around for it, and reviews from users stated that it's unreliable, especially for high-end graphic cards. So... I decided to dish out some money and buy the Cooler Master RS-600-PCAR at a computer store nearby. Many friends use it and run SLI, etc.. and said it's very good, so I'm gunna get it and let someone install it :) Thanks for telling me the PSU was crap... I would have stuck with it, and had a faulty comp :( And I'm gunna replace the CPU in a few weeks with the Intel E8500 (3.16GHz 1333MHz 6MB Cache) instead of a Quad Core as I've read that Quad Core's are meant for editing and such, while a high GHz Core 2 Duo is excellent for gaming :) I'm getting the computer with the new PSU installed in a week or so, then I should have the CPU installed the next week and since I already have the HD 4830, I'll be good to go!! Finally, an awesome gaming comp :)

Thanks everyone for helping me out and providing me with advice! I greatly appreciate it!

P.S. I might wanna save money by replacing the CPU myself... Is there any safe detailed instructions on how to do this? Could save me a few $$ that I could just use for WoW XD

Gamer setting? or even high?
Thats the same setting your talking about.

You could buy an E7xxx CPU for less money and similar performance.

For your board (GIGABYTEGA-G31M-ES2L Core 2 Quad/ Intel G31/ FSB1333/ DDR2-800/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard), you may have to do a bios update to insure compatibility.

Oh sorry I meant Gamer/Enthusiast settings. When I get it I'll do an update. But it should work right? I also saw that they did have the Intel E7500 2.93GHz... I guess I could opt for that and save some money... Like roughly how much percentage increase in performance would the E8500 have over the E7500? I wanna get all the stuff I need within this month and be prepared for future gaming :)

E8500 have over the E7500?
None for Warhead, actually some minor increases, nothing significant. My E4600 is running at 2.7ghz and 3mb of l2 cache is plenty enough for Warhead, it isn't too CPU intensive.

None for Warhead, actually some minor increases, nothing significant. My E4600 is running at 2.7ghz and 3mb of l2 cache is plenty enough for Warhead, it isn't too CPU intensive.

Exactly. Unless you are into overclocking the E4600 is more than enough cpu for your needs. In fact, the choices from Intel are excellent for what you want to do at stock. You can get a great cpu upgrade without breaking the bank.

You sir are awesome. You just saved me money :) The reason I was going for the E8500 was because I wanted awesome performance because I thought it would be wayyyy better than the E7500.

Sorry to bother again (sigh), but something just popped into my head... Wouldn't it get hot inside the case? I think the case only has ONE fan... the PSU has a fan obviously lol, I know the HD 4830 has a fan thingy... but what about the CPU? Persons I talked to said that if the CPU gets a little hot it can bottleneck performance or something? So should I stick with the iMicro case? Or I could just get this case: Thermaltake Armor+ MX VH8000BWS . It comes with 3 fans... but do I really need it? Ughh, this is becoming expensive XD but I just wanna get everything now so that I don't need to get anything else in the future.

EDIT: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1314&ID=1452#Tab1 <==== Probably gunna buy that case. I realized if I'm gunna be gaming harddd (which I am... :p) it would get HOT in there... So wouldn't that case help? It's also cheaper than the Armor+ up there XD

Unless you are into overclocking the E4600 is more than enough cpu for your needs.
Actually the E4600 is the same price as the newer 45nm E7xxx while the E7xxx series performs MUCH better. Sadly, I purchased my E4600 about a week before the the E7xxx's came out D:.

the E7xxx is built on 45nm, and even the old 65nm processors did not get too hot. The CPU should be fine with the stock cooler in your case as long as you seat it properly with the stock thermal paste.

If your card gets hot, you can use software and boost the fan speed a little. Stock fan speed is generally around 30%, so you should have plenty of headroom.

if the CPU gets a little hot it can bottleneck performance
Nope, not unless it is overheating and crashing your computer, or if you must throttle back your CPU because of the temps, both are very unlikely if you do everything properly and don't go past 3.6 - 3.8 ghz on your CPU, which should stay within the stock voltages for the Wolfdale dual cores.

So I can stick with case and stock cooler? Yay. Less expense XD Good stuff. If you could be so kind as to recommend a software to use to adjust fan speed, monitor the HD 4830, etc... ? That would help me out :) Thanks to everyone though! I finally know what to do :)

P.S. I'm sticking with the E1400 for about a week. Hopefully I could play Warhead at Gamer settings XD And thanks again for all the help everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back