A highly complicated network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Ify

Greetings All!

I work for an amusement park, and last week we had a powersurge causing all of our networks to go down because the main router was fried or something like that. When they got a new one, it came with extra protections the previous one didnt have, it only lets computer's with registered MAC Addresses connect to it.

Our office has several computers that need to be networked, and currently we have one machine that has a registered MAC address.

I have a WRT54G Router, the DSL Modem is connected to it, and the computer with the registered MAC address is connected to the Router as well, with a static IP.

Is it possible to have the other computers on the network connect to the networked computer without an additional NIC? If the internet computer's local IP is 76.171.115.177, can I have the other computer's connect with a default gateway of that IP address? That way the requests are coming from the computer with the registered MAC address so that the other computers on my network can have access.

Any help would be great!

Config of Registered Computer

IP: 76.171.115.177
Subnet: 255.255.255.224
Default Gateway: 76.161.115.161

DNS: 64.83.0.10
DNS: 209.137.160.3

Regards,

Ify

The WRT54G is a wireless router and using registered MAC addresses is another technique to ensure only KNOWN devices can get an attachment.

(A) With registered MAC address, you don't need encryption although you really shoud use both

(B) registered MAC address is an option which can be enabled or disabled.

[my netgear does an association of MAC address -> specific IP address to be assigned (not a static setting but has the same effect:) ]

One process to get all the systems MACs would be
  • disable the encryption AND the MAC option
  • get all systems connected
  • capture the MAC addresses of those system by viewing Connected Systems

Now you can add all those MACs into the router.

Word of Caution: my netgear has a limit of TEN registered MAC address -- I'm sure the linksys does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back