A sequel to 'Second Life' is in the works

Shawn Knight

Staff member

life gaming online second life linden research virtual world

Linden Lab, the developer behind online virtual world Second Life, recently announced that a successor is in the works. The game will be in the spirit of the original and although some things may transfer over, the game isn’t being built with backwards compatibility as a requirement.

According to a statement on the matter, the next generation virtual world will go far beyond what is currently possible with Second Life. Despite the fact that Second Life is a niche product, it still has an active user base of nearly a million people.

The game has been updated over the years to remain relevant in terms of performance but there’s only so much you can do with a platform that is 11 years old.

CEO Ebbe Altberg told TNW that building a new world is a massive project. As such, they’ve had to hire an additional 40-50 people to help with development.

Second Life faithful don’t have much to worry about as the development team isn’t giving up on the original. The game still has many years ahead of it and in addition to improvements and new developments specifically for Second Life, the team said they think much of the work they do for the next generation project will also be beneficial for the original.

A beta is expected to launch sometime next year with the final version shipping in 2016.

Permalink to story.

Didn't some clown mortgage his REAL house so he could buy lots of VIRTUAL LAND in Second Life? I'm sure there was probably more than one ***** who thought it was an 'investment'.

Then again, he sold his real house before the housing collapse, so you never know.....

Didn't some clown mortgage his REAL house so he could buy lots of VIRTUAL LAND in Second Life? I'm sure there was probably more than one ***** who thought it was an 'investment'.
Looks like he will now have a chance at a Third Life!

I've heard of people who earned a ton from second life, I personally never understood it and cant see why anyone would play it let alone spend 300k on it...

I've heard of people who earned a ton from second life, I personally never understood it and cant see why anyone would play it let alone spend 300k on it...

Irrational behavior is difficult to understand until you recognize that it's irrational. After that, it makes perfect sense.

Irrational person: Spends 300k on Second Life
Rational person: Uses that money to buy a C7 and a 911 Turbo S.
Captaincranky: Buys a 100ft statue of a nude woman and erects it in his front yard.

Irrational behavior is difficult to understand until you recognize that it's irrational. After that, it makes perfect sense.

Irrational person: Spends 300k on Second Life
Rational person: Uses that money to buy a C7 and a 911 Turbo S.
Captaincranky: Buys a 100ft statue of a nude woman and erects it in his front yard.

Rational Person: Spends 200k on prostitutes and then the rest on investing!
Captaincranky: Buys a Robotic stripper

Investment Banker puts 200k of coke up his nose.

Yeah, we all waste money.

Back