A8v-e deluxe and 4200+ dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wotrop

Hey everyone.

I recently (not so recently) bought a 4200+ as an upgrade to my existing 3200+. the a8v-e says it supports dual core cpu's with a bios update. as such i did. Now it reads as dual core but with 1 core not doing anything. and when i ctr+alt+del it shows only 1 cpu in cpu usage chart which isnt right. I have tried talking to asus but the people over phone dont speak a word of english and the forum system tells me to go away.

Any help would be great :)

I think you got a defective CPU. Your board is interesting because it has all kinds of over clocking features...but... it uses older 400, 333, and 266 mhz ram. socket 939 handles many processors. Athlon 64 FX and the X2. It will recognize your dual core CPU anytime. Why not jack it up to the fastest that will fit?

It could be my cpu. Im not sure i might get a new computer soon anyways. its not a big deal because it can still play crysis on full XD. but I want somone to pay the bill and its going to be amd or asus. one of them is going to need to fork over some new gear.

Have you tried running a CPU recognition utility such as CPU-Z ? Are you sure the part you have is actually a dual-core CPU (other than by the CPU ID string on the part itself) ?

& most important, did you take the time to reinstall Windows since the CPU upgrade or at least switch the current system install to a multi-processor ACPI system ?

yes a utility told me that i have 2 cores but only 1 is used. cpuz says i have an x2 with 1 core.

Athlon X2 Manchester

Family F model B Stepping 1
EXT family F EXT model 2b Revision BH-E4

& in the BIOS, is there a multiprocessing option somewhere ? Maybe you've disabled SMP.

nothing in the bios that could offer any clue except for the many overclocking options my mobo has.

But what is this SMP and how do I go about checking if its disabled?

I admit this is having me a bit stumped. Which operating system have you tried running ? Try an Ubuntu LiveCD (or any other Linux LiveCD distribution) & see if both cores are recognized & available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back