Abit IS7G system drives

comdoc

Mb Abit IS7G, 4Gb Corsair DDR2 1066 RAM, Core2 Duo 2.4 6600, dual 35Gb Raptors in RAID 1, 450W ps, Lian Li A05N mini ATX case. Upgrading XP to Win7 Pro. 64. Applications: video streaming, stock charts, web surf, email. Cost matters. Want to add WD Green 1T internal, and Iomega 1T 34280 eSATA (auto backup) external drives. Contrast 2 solutions: lose RAID, 1 Raptor + WD Green OR lose Raptors and add 2 WD Greens in RAID. Thanks for insights.

OK, James and Leeky, sorry it wasn't clear.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping one Raptor, and adding one Green 1T drive? Versus removing both Raptors, and replacing with 2 1T. Green drives in a new RAID array?

Hi comdoc,

ok well as far as im aware Raptors work BETTER when used in RAID witha nother Raptor drive. don they have 10000rpm??? i think if your going to run in RAID then use two drives the same though obviously then you will prob want to use both the 1TB drives as opposed to the Raptor drives lol.

If NOT then could always install the OS onto the Raptor drive and keep the 1TB as storage etc. you would get the slight fast access time off the Raptop drive but thats about it.

I think if you chaning your system and with the way technology is going these days shove the to 1TB drives in.

Hope this helps
James

Hi James,

Yes, they run 10,000 RPM. 5.2ms access time. :) I still love these old things! I'm leaning toward keeping the OS on the dual Raptors, and keeping RAID 1. Add one 1T internal WD Green (8.9ms) for data. And add eSATA PCI card for external Iomega 1T for backup. Thanks for your excellent insights.

Hi Comdoc,

Totally agree lol :D they are great little drives. I agree with you keep the Raptors on the RAID and the rest for storage ect.

Back