"Access Denied"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterdoo

I'm using XP Pro and am logged on as an Administrator so why do I get error messages telling me I need to log in as an Administrator? I first noticed this when I was installing MS Office and at the end of the install when the program makes changes to the registry, I got the error. I also went into the Configuration Utility to make a change in the boot.ini and got the message. Seems like anything that involves Administrator privileges gets me the error telling me I don't have them. I can't believe after 2 days and hours and hours of reading posts, I haven't been able to get a workable solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any option other than Administrator into which you can log...

You may have to re-install Windows in R for repair mode, and let it run (Not R for Repair Console) then let Windows fix itself.

I'm using XP Pro and am logged on as an Administrator so why do I get error messages telling me I need to log in as an Administrator?<snip>
Access permissions are assigned to registry keys, files and folders and, in fact, even Admin (both the Admin user ID and every user ID in the Admin group) must a key/file/folder must expressly indicate Admin (the user) and Admin (the group) before Admin (the user or Admin group) can access it

So.... sounds like either your logon user profile is corrupt or the access permissions are bad and what you're trying to access. Suggest you

1. First try creating another account with Admin privileges. Try using the new account to access things.

2. If still a problem, suggest you do the XP repair as raybay suggested. See here

I can and did create another account with Administrator privileges and got the same results. Your link on Windows repair looks like my next step although I'm worried about this:
"It also leaves user accounts, names, and passwords untouched ...."
because I'm thinking that may be where my problem stems from ??

Well, I did the Windows Repair but like I suspected, the Administrator problem is still there. I will go ahead and do a clean install today because I can't take it anymore.

Thanks for the help though .... I really appreciate it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back