Accidently installed second os!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hi there,

i have done something rather stupid, i have virtual pc 2007, and i wanted to install server 2003, i partly installed it, but didn't have enough time to finish the installation so it had to exit it.

When i booted up my pc earlier today xp gave me the option to boot either xp pro or server 2003!

I only wanted server 2003 on my virtual pc anyway.

so my question is how can i delete server 2003 so i can boot up straight into windows?

thanks in advance

Are both versions in the same partition? I might be way out of order in the case of virtual PC2007, but for two installs of XP I know the answer, and hopefully it will help. I would think your minimum requirement is to edit boot.ini found in the root of c:\ you might have to show system and hidden files before you can see it, then remove any read-only and system tags to make it editable. There will be 2 obvious lines like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="description of os"

and an earlier one

default=multi(0)disc(0)partition(0)\windows

you delete the os description line you dont want, and point the default to the remaining one. This is dead simple if the OS are in differing partitions, you can just reformat the partition you dont want. I'm not so sure what happens if you installed both in the same partition. Possibly someone will jump in here, but I suspect they will be clearly distinguished by having a different install directory (the bit on the end of the os line, \windows. In that case you would just manually delete OS directory, or leave it for posterity to discover.....

if i can remember rightly, i used 6.6GB of virtual hard drive space, but i think what i did wrong was select C: by accident.when i get the option to boot up windows xp of server 2003 and select server 2003 i find that it just starts up like i havent even installed it yet!
thanks so far anyway

'like I haven't installed it yet' ??? meaning it boots into a normal Virtual 2007, or boots into Server 2003 but does not work??

On the rather imprecise descriptions you have given so far, my recommendation would have to be to reformat and install what you actually want from scratch.

It may be what you are looking for is an install of server2003 running under control of virtual 2007. In which case, you need to RTFM

you hit the nail right on the head in the last sentence, what i wanted to do is install server 2003 on my virtual pc, now as a dual boot option when i boot up my pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back